Why become a member? ×

Solved! Replacement footswitch for EBS pedal

Ghost_Bass

After about 10 years of allways ON operation the footswitch on my EBS Multicomp pedal has started to act. Occasionally it turns off by itself but as it's latched in the ON position the result is that i loose sound. When i press it to get it to work again i feel it's stuck and when it comes on it outputs a lower signal, i have to press it a few times until it latches again in a full signal position.

I'm not going to try to fix it unless there's no other way, too much trouble to mess with those tiny parts inside. I was going to replace it yesterday having taken order of a brand new 3PDT switch but upon opening i've found a switch type that i've never seen. It has 12 pins in two rows, here's some pics to explain it better:

The pedal is the true-bypass version, non "SE", btw:

I've already contacted the store where i bought the pedal as they're the Portuguese dealers for EBS in order to get a quote for a replacement part but we all know that getting parts from the brand is allways expensive. I've never seen this switch before and google isn't helping. The "pat pend" engraved on the switch makes me believe that this could be some kind of proprietary switch custom made for EBS. Does anybody knows the name/reference of this footswitch? If i can get on efrom eBay it will be way more cheaper.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1489763785' post='3259647']
I would contact the manufacturer directly and explain the situation. They may even be able to supply one FOC
[/quote]

I'll try and get in touch with them via fecebook but i don't think EBS is going to offer me anything...

I've found the type of footswitch, it's a 4PDT footswitch that works in two rows of 6. the cheapest place i've found for it is Banzai Music at 8,33€ but there's another 8€ of P&P....
https://www.banzaimusic.com/4PDT-Switch-HD-4FTQ.html

Anybody knows of any UK store that stocks them?

I'm alone in this thread by the look of things... no problem, i'll keep it running in case anybody has this trouble in the future. :)

Here's more info, i tracked the manufacturer of the switch:

http://www.st-professional.it/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=75

I've e-mailed them to see if they sell direct to public or if they can point me to a Portuguese/Spanish dealer where i can get a quote. I'll keep this updated.

I'd try squirting contact cleaner into any gap available, including down the moving part of the switch, then working the switch a lot.
The contacts have probably oxidized due to it always being in the on position. Even working it a lot without contact cleaner may well do it.
Best of luck.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1489765719' post='3259666']

I'll try and get in touch with them via fecebook but i don't think EBS is going to offer me anything...

I've found the type of footswitch, it's a 4PDT footswitch that works in two rows of 6. the cheapest place i've found for it is Banzai Music at 8,33€ but there's another 8€ of P&P....
https://www.banzaimusic.com/4PDT-Switch-HD-4FTQ.html

Anybody knows of any UK store that stocks them?
[/quote]

Try Farnell and RS Components. They should be the cheapest. Failing that try ebay...

Ok, here's an update.

Regarding the contact cleaner: that's what i've been doing for the past couple of years, now it's time to replace it as it needs a repray at shorter intervals.

I've found the manufacturer of the switch and also found stores selling it in EU.

The portuguese dealer can get me a replacement from EBS for 28€, like i've told you.

Banzaimusic.com has them for a bit over 8€ plus another 8€ for P&P: [url="http://www.banzaimusic.com/4PDT-Switch-HD-4FTQ.html"]http://www.banzaimus...ch-HD-4FTQ.html[/url]

I've found the manufacturer in italy "ST Professional" and they were excelent at replying my e-mail in record time and are available to sell me one switch directly for not much over 5€, the problem is that from Italy P&P are 15€, so i thanked their offer and decide to get the one from Banzai.
[url="http://www.st-professional.it/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=75"]http://www.st-profes...id=73&Itemid=75[/url]

i've asked on facebook and a friend close to me is thinking in making an order from Banzai in a couple of days so i'll taka advantage of that and divide P&P with him so it should all be in around 10€ in the end. Still a bit too much for a switch but it's the cheapest solution.

Thanks all for the help and comments, hope the info in this thread can help another with the same problem, i'm going to edit the title for ease of search.

cheers

edited: spelling

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I've had similar - when EBS changed to making the pedals in China, they changed the switch to this... which is a bit naff and prone to breaking - the old one wasn't. It's an easy enough fix though - you don't need an exact like for like replacement (in fact, you should use the opportunity to upgrade the switch to a far more robust one!) - just solder on flying cables between the switch and the board.

Edited by EBS_freak

Be warned if you're considering ordering from Banzai, their order handling and communications are awful. I tried to order from them a while back, never got an order confirmation, they ignored multiple emails and I only managed to get a refund after both opening a paypal dispute and commenting publicly on their facebook page. I'm not sure that I was just unlucky either, as their facebook page shows a number of similar posts from customers.
Personally, I would buy from elsewhere if at all possible, even if the price is higher.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1490117161' post='3262327']
I've had similar - when EBS changed to making the pedals in China, they changed the switch to this... which is a bit naff and prone to breaking - the old one wasn't. It's an easy enough fix though - you don't need an exact like for like replacement (in fact, you should use the opportunity to upgrade the switch to a far more robust one!) - just solder on flying cables between the switch and the board.
[/quote]

It's a very fair point. I thought about it, any 4PDT switch will work if the pins are connected correctly but as it's a PCB mount switch i don't believe a new switch would fit with enough clearance from the board so it doesn't make contact with it whilst allowing room for the cables to be connected. If a direct replacement is available i think i'll stick to it.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1490125769' post='3262448']
Be warned if you're considering ordering from Banzai, their order handling and communications are awful. I tried to order from them a while back, never got an order confirmation, they ignored multiple emails and I only managed to get a refund after both opening a paypal dispute and commenting publicly on their facebook page. I'm not sure that I was just unlucky either, as their facebook page shows a number of similar posts from customers.
Personally, I would buy from elsewhere if at all possible, even if the price is higher.
[/quote]

I know a lot of people that order frequently from Banzai without problems but 'm aware that problems may happen and i thank you for the heads up, If they give me any grief with the order i'll sen a switch directly from the manufacturer ;)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='malcolm.mcintyre' timestamp='1491512596' post='3273690']
Switch failed on my EBS multicomp, of similar vintage.
I e-mailed EBS manufacturer, and they are aware of problem.
Sent me a new switch free.

I then soldered it to the wrong side of the board
[/quote]

Well... that'll teach me not to go through the middle man and go straight to the the big shots. EBS rep quoted me 28€ for a switch. I now have a new switch incomming from Banzai for 10€ in a joint order with a friend so i could split P&P. Should have gone straight to EBS in the first place... :dash1: :facepalm: :modspank: