Dear guest,

Welcome to the biggest community for bass players in Europe. You'll find the site a great source of information and advice.

Why not sign up now and:

• Say hello - tell us about your playing, your gear and where you're from.
  • Search the database for inspiration or to find out more about your instrument
  • Upload an avatar and profile picture
  • Buy one of the thousands of items in our marketplace
  • Safely sell your items to a community of proven enthusiasts
  • Upload pictures, audio and videos
  • Buy exclusive items at discount through our shop (coming soon!)

Go on, click the button and become part of it today!

Sign in to follow this  
Barking Spiders

As we're talking about Bowie..career highest & lowest

Posted (edited)

His highest...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DanDvAfCcs[/media]

and lowest

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ[/media]

tough to be fair it's Jagger who comes over as the most wincing

" That happened and we all let it happen" - Peter Griffin

Edited by Barking Spiders

Interesting idea for a thread..

Highest: all albums from Hunky Dory through to Heroes, including Transformer and The Idiot which he produced for Lou Reed and Iggy Pop respectively

Lowest: Tonight album

I'm very biased of course, but that run of Bowie albums is as artistically and musically good as anything produced since the Beatles series of albums in the 1960s..

I'd definitely go along with Dancing In The Street as 'lowest'. Even the bloody Laughing Gnome is better than that car crash.
As far as 'highest' is concerned, probably Scary Monsters.

[media]http://youtu.be/GA27aQZCQMk[/media]

Highest for me would be Ziggy Stardust or Aladdin Sane
Lowest would be anything after Station to Station (with the odd single exception) up to The Next Day and Blackstar (and again not all tracks were brilliant on these 2 albums).

Afraid i just couldn't get into that weird metal sound he was into for few years.
Loved all his early stuff incl Uncle Arthur, Laughing Gnome thru Space Oddity and Ziggy periods. Think i liked every track from his early years but i just struggled to like a full album after Station to Station.

Dave

High - Diamond Dogs for me.

Low - Do none of you remember Tin Machine? I queued for hours to see them in Kilburn. I'd rather watch the video for Dancing in the Street 100 times in a row rather than go through that gig again.

For me highest is definitely Ziggy Stardust. It was the first album I owned so I got to know it inside out.

I can say I've really been taken with very much that he's done since Scary Monsters, with the exception of Tin Machine which I rather like.

Posted (edited)

Station to Station to Lodger for me.

Edited by RhysP

I rather liked Tin Machine, too. Even had a t shirt that said that albeit in a bit ruder way.

Highest: Low (ha!)
Lowest: Never Let Me Down (see what I did there?)

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1489668385' post='3258781']
....and lowest

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4jnaznUoQ[/media]
[/quote]

I certainly wouldn't argue that it's a great version, but I've become emotionally numb to it after performing it for decades in function bands. I just have no feeling for it whatsoever :)
I console myself that it was recorded in the knowledge that it would raise a lot of money for Live Aid.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1489670422' post='3258812']
Lowest: Tonight album
[/quote]

I assume you're talking about the album rather than the song, not that a lot of people have much time for either :D

I think Tonight (the album) gets a bad rap, some of which is justified, but I do like to defend it.

For a start, I think if Hugh Padgham hadn't been at the helm, it would have sounded very different. The whole album is almost drowned in a sea of 80's production. You would be forgiven for thinking parts of it were from a Phil Collins album and Padgham is part of the reason why. Also, Hugh allegedly didn't think Blue Jean was good enough for the album :blink:.

Bowie himself said that Loving The Alien sounded completely different on the demo. I guess it was probably more in line with the version he later did live with Gerry Leonard, which is just beautiful IMHO. Here he is talking about it.

http://youtu.be/srSOLME9pGg

I have a real soft spot for Neighborhood Threat, both the Iggy and the Tonight version. I just think it's a great tune whichever way it's done.

Tumble & Twirl is a curiosity mainly due to the presence of Mark King. I like it anyway.

Dancing With The Big Boys is OK, as is Don't Look Down, but there are a couple of fillers that shouldn't have been allowed out.

HP thought God Only Knows and I Keep Forgettin' were good and Blue Jean wasn't? Go figure.

As much as I love Ziggy Stardust, I rate Young Americans as a personal favourite. Lows, I don't know. Although I never play them I tended to enjoy most of what he put out to a certain degree.

Too tough for two choices for the chameleon's output.
Early high: Life on Mars. Later high: Scary Monsters album.
Low: Blackstar - can't stand it.
Honourable mention: Let's Dance - so he went all out for hits - and got 'em!

For me highest is Station to Station; lowest The Laughing Gnome

Highest: Hunky Dory + Ziggy Stardust

Lowest: Still discovering his later stuff....his bad acting in Labyrinth is hard to beat for lows

I'm in a Bowie tribute band so am now listening to stuff I've not heard before.....not all of it great tbh

Aladdin Sane/Diamond Dogs/Ziggy

And

Tin Machine

I'll leave it to your discretion to work out which is which...

The high point for me was his collaboration with Queen on 'Under Pressure'. Magnificent.

The low point, I'm not so sure on. His music isn't to my taste and I detest glam rock in general. However, he was clearly a motivated and talented bloke so more power to him doing what he wanted.

Space Oddity, tho it's really Herbie Flowers' bassline that kills it, one of the most complex basslines to learn note for note as it travels over every inch of the fretboard.

That Eno rubbish

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1489738747' post='3259276']
Hiram, thanks for posting that version of Loving the Alien. It's really lovely.
[/quote]

You're welcome. We do that exact version and it goes down very well. Always makes the hairs on my neck stand up.

Hunky Dory has always been my favourite Bowie album, and I'm rather partial to the Low / 'Heroes'/ Lodger period too. I never really liked much after Scary Monsters, but Where Are We Now blew me away when it came out, and is up there amongst his greatest songs in my opinion.

The low (excuse the pun) point for me must be the Glass Spider era. I can't find much to enjoy from those albums.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1489752652' post='3259451']
Highest - The Laughing Gnome.

Lowest - everything else.
[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha, Hee Hee Hee :D

High: S2S, Heroes, Low, Lodger, Stage, Scary Monsters.
Low: his version of Alabama Song

Nick: