Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Compact 15 - how many gens. ?

fleabag

I checked the site but history seems to disappear , like many sites

I remember the first compact 15 to hit here, but they were always beyond my price range, so as new cabs came and went, i missed the generations

So how many different 15's came after the first compact, which is suppose is gen 1 ?

Super compact is a 12 though, so cant really be gen 3 of the compact. So i guess there was only 2 gens of the 15 ? For some reason, there are no 15's currently listed on the BB website

Anyone know the difference between the 2 gens of the compact 15

Edited by fleabag

I think gen 1 had plastic corners, different plywood and different internal wadding. Gen 2 had steel corners, different density wood so weighed less.
Not massive differences and I was perfectly happy with my gen 1 Compact for the six or more years I owned it.
Frank

Having a second speakon socket was an option in gen 2. I don't think it was on gen 1. I've used and owned both and the differences seem largely cosmetic. If there are differences internally then they are not hugely apparent.. Both are great cabs and can be picked up now for around the £300 mark, which makes them phenomenal value B)

My Gen 2 Comact has 2 Speakons, but I think the corners are heavy duty plastic rather than steel. Bloody marvelous cab (along with my Midget) I've been gigging them for 7 or 8 years now. No thoughts of changing them at all.

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1489534045' post='3257800']
Super compact is a 12 though, so cant really be gen 3 of the compact. So i guess there was only 2 gens of the 15 ? For some reason, there are no 15's currently listed on the BB website

[/quote]

But surely you need 15s to get the really low bass notes?

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1489569057' post='3257929']
But surely you need 15s to get the really low bass notes?
[/quote]

Yeah, but tens and twelves have a faster response and are better for slap...

One.

Barefaced Generation 1 was: Compact, Big One, Vintage.
Barefaced Generation 2 was: Midget, Super Twelve, Super Fifteen, Big Baby, Big Twin, '69er (many available with tweeters as the 'T' version)
Barefaced Generation 3 is all the current Barefaced cabs, with 12XN or 10CR drivers.

The Compact continued to be made alongside the Gen 2 models after the other Gen 1 cabs were discontinued. All the pre Gen 3 cabs went through various revisions due to improvements in construction methods, finish and other details.

Thanks Alex

Gen 2 compact was it seems, the super fifteen, conan

The original question was becuase at some stage, i fancy trying some fifteens, and BB cabs are certainly in the shortlist, albeit 2nd hand ones

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1489575772' post='3258017']Gen 2 compact was it seems, the super fifteen, conan
[/quote]

No, the Super fifteen was a 2x15! More like an updated version of the Vintage, which was designed and voiced to be used with full-width valve amps. I used to have one (a Vintage that is) - outstanding cab!

The Gen 1 Compact was in continuous production from late 2008 to mid 2013. The Gen 2 models started appearing in mid 2010 and their production ended in mid 2013, when the Gen 3 models took over (initially just 12XN cabs, then later the 10CR range started growing).

We don't make anything with 15" drivers now because our 12XN drivers are better for high accuracy sounds and our 10CR drivers better for more coloured yet still relatively full-range sounds.

I started off with a Compact. Fabulous cab but perhaps slightly lacking top end. A while later I added a Midget. On its own it was a feisty little thing but lacked bottom end. Together they were a match made in Heaven. Or, more accurately, Brighton. Then I replaced the Compact/Midget combination with a Supercompact and that does the same job - has the lows of the Compact but the tightness of the Midget, all in the one cab. A very focused sort of tone. I liked it so much I got another one. Just, well, because.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1489577586' post='3258040']
The Gen 1 Compact was in continuous production from late 2008 to mid 2013. The Gen 2 models started appearing in mid 2010 and their production ended in mid 2013, when the Gen 3 models took over (initially just 12XN cabs, then later the 10CR range started growing).

We don't make anything with 15" drivers now because our 12XN drivers are better for high accuracy sounds and our 10CR drivers better for more coloured yet still relatively full-range sounds.
[/quote]

But are not 15" drivers better for bass? :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1489571439' post='3257954']
Oh right! So there is no such thing as a "Gen 2 Compact" then?
[/quote]

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1489575389' post='3258015']
No.
[/quote]

See, I told you I would probably be wrong :(

Still what ever it is it's a marvelous beastie and has been gigged in small pubs large clubs, backs of wagons etc. etc.