Why become a member? ×

A plurality of Precisions...

THT

Ok, thanks guys :)

Now being a student, I'll only have the money ready in about 2 months time (give or take a few weeks). So unfortunately the basses you guys sent me links to will probably be sold.. but now I know what to look for :huh:

So a MIJ bass from the 80's-90's would be a solid choice, yes?

Beedster.. I'm still not sure how you can be so sure re: the consistency. How many MIAs and MIJs within THT's target range have you owned?

I stil think that if you can find a good MIA for under 500, and it sounds and feels good, you should strongly consider it. The hardware is a better spec and it'll hold its value better.

Besides, a few months ago, an MIA for less than 500 quid would have been unthinkable.

I'm not knocking MIJ's. I've owned four and they've been fine. One was one of the the best basses I've ever played.

[quote name='THT' post='312691' date='Oct 23 2008, 06:20 AM']Ok, thanks guys :)

Now being a student, I'll only have the money ready in about 2 months time (give or take a few weeks). So unfortunately the basses you guys sent me links to will probably be sold.. but now I know what to look for :huh:

So a MIJ bass from the 80's-90's would be a solid choice, yes?[/quote]

Ive just bought a MIJ from a guy on here and its amazing, especially for the price. Ive owned a MIA before and while it was nice, certainly wasnt the same value for money as the MIJ. Also to me i think the neck on the MIJ is far nicer compared to the MIA and while i might upgrade the PUPs, that will cost no more than £50 at which point the MIJ will sound as good and play nicer than the MIA all for £280 in total so couldn't recommend more.

don't forget the MIM's.if you get a good one they're just as good as a MIA or MIJ but you really need to try a few.my blinged MIM P(http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29009) is a fantastic bass & plays as well as any P bass i've ever played-sounds good too but i may just change the pup just for the sake of it.

Edited by artisan

Just to add my voice to the fray...

Totally agree, I have recently picked up a MIM Classic 50's P 2006 from my mate at the Guitar shop for just £350 and it's unmarked and perfect and is the best P I have ever played and set eyes on and shock horror it's a MEX!!!!!

My Highway JAZZ is also one of the best I have ever played too so it just goes to show you don't need to sell your body for a gooden...but I accept it helps - again, play before you buy, excellent former advice then....vital actually :)

[quote name='artisan' post='312877' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:06 PM']don't forget the MIM's.if you get a good one they're just as good as a MIA or MIJ but you really need to try a few.my blinged MIM P(http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=29009) is a fantastic bass & plays as well as any P bass i've ever played-sounds good too but i may just change the pup just for the sake of it.[/quote]

[quote name='Beedster' post='312553' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:06 PM']All that said, it's all a load of balls 'cos no-one standing in the pub on a Friday night is going to be able to tell the difference between an original USA '72 and an Indonesian Squire :)
C[/quote]

Thanks Beedster, you made me and my "plethora" of Squiers feel like one of the team for a while there..... :huh:

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='312698' date='Oct 23 2008, 07:53 AM']I still think that if you can find a good MIA for under 500, and it sounds and feels good, you should strongly consider it. The hardware is a better spec and it'll hold its value better.[/quote]

Not disputing that for a second :)

A few months ago I was in Charlie Chandler's shop noodling away on an original mojo-laden 67 Precision. I thought I'd try the '62 MIJ reissue hanging next to it by way of comparison.

It was no contest. I walked out with the MIJ, £1000 price difference, and a big grin on my face. Since then I've hardly played any of my other basses - that MIJ '62 reissue is incredibly well built and sounds completely perfect. To say that if it's not US then it's not a proper Precision is bollocks IMHO...

[quote name='ARGH' post='312474' date='Oct 22 2008, 07:32 PM']IF it dont say USA made Fender, it ISNT a P-Bass.[/quote]

Most definitely NOT correct...When the CS 55 Time Machine was demo'd at Music Live 03, I had a go. Garbage, and there's no more USA Fender than Custom Shop. My Sting blew it into the weeds with utmost ease. So the MIJ/CIJ are definitely VERY GOOD! And I still play a MIJ 51RI more than anything else...That's not in any way saying the USA ones aren't all good. The new 08 Standards are bloody marvelous, I think. But 'only American will do' is simply a way to spend money for no reason...
:)

[quote name='Telebass' post='317954' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:25 PM']Most definitely NOT correct...When the CS 55 Time Machine was demo'd at Music Live 03, I had a go. Garbage, and there's no more USA Fender than Custom Shop. My Sting blew it into the weeds with utmost ease. So the MIJ/CIJ are definitely VERY GOOD! And I still play a MIJ 51RI more than anything else...That's not in any way saying the USA ones aren't all good. The new 08 Standards are bloody marvelous, I think. But 'only American will do' is simply a way to spend money for no reason...
:huh:[/quote]

I had a CS time machine, I suspect that they are in fact very faithful reproductions of what were not particularly good basses in the first place. Modern reissues are simply better than the originals and thus better than any faithful reproductions of the originals :)

I received an MIJ 70's reissue p-bass the other day from loudandclear here. It absolutely rocks (and looks the nuts with your old tort guard on it Chris!). To put it in context it's sitting alongside a Shuker 6 string, a Bongo 5HH and a Lakland Skyline JO4 and it's the equal of any of them (in its own way). Considering what I paid for it I'm totally knocked out by it... looking forward to band practise tonight!

Edited by Bigwan