Why become a member? ×

A plurality of Precisions...

THT

In my search for a new bass, I remembered my love of the P bass sound. However, in my price range (say £500 as a cap. Maybe more if there's something seriously worth the extra investment), I came across 7 Fender variants (8 when including used USA models) and countless copies.

So, I guess my question to the collective wisdom of this forum would be:

Which are worth looking into, and which are worth squat?

[quote name='THT' post='312469' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:26 PM']In my search for a new bass, I remembered my love of the P bass sound. However, in my price range (say £500 as a cap. Maybe more if there's something seriously worth the extra investment), I came across 7 Fender variants (8 when including used USA models) and countless copies.

So, I guess my question to the collective wisdom of this forum would be:

Which are worth looking into, and which are worth squat?

A used MIJ at around £250-300 is your best bet. You'll get an MIA for £450-500, but the quality of the US models is far more variable than the Jap counterparts, and most guys who have a good MIA won't let it go for that sort of price anyway.
Chris

[quote name='ARGH' post='312474' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:32 PM']IF it dont say USA made Fender, it ISNT a P-Bass.[/quote]

Agree in sentiment but not in fact :) . If you lookiung 80's or 90's models (as the price range above suggests), MIJ is almost certainly a better bet
C

[quote name='Beedster' post='312475' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:32 PM']A used MIJ at around £250-300 is your best bet. You'll get an MIA for £450-500, but the quality of the US models is far more variable than the Jap counterparts, and most guys who have a good MIA won't let it go for that sort of price anyway.
Chris[/quote]

What he said.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30204&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30204&hl=[/url]

There's a MIJ 70's RI Precision with US pups in it on sale on here.

I think that bass is your answer.

I, by the way, have no connection with the seller at all, it's just what I'd buy, if I was you.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30205"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30205[/url]

Edited by Rayman

[quote name='Rayman' post='312485' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:38 PM']There's a MIJ 70's RI Precision with US pups in it on sale on here.

I think that bass is your answer.

I, by the way, have no connection with the seller at all, it's just what I'd buy, if I was you.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30205"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30205[/url][/quote]

Unfortunately he seems to have just sold it.

One of the Fender's that did catch my eye was the Highway 1, but again I've heard some bad things about the bridge.

I guess the next question would be then, where can I find MIJ basses? They don't seem to common round my area (Norwich)

[quote name='THT' post='312495' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:54 PM']I guess the next question would be then, where can I find MIJ basses? They don't seem to common round my area (Norwich)[/quote]

Hello! Me again.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30204&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30204&hl=[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='312500' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:08 PM']I think cd_david's MIA 57-alike would be a jolly good buy / investment.[/quote]

Agreed as long as you like a really wide neck. I also found the my '57 suprisingly unlike a'70's Precision in terms of both sound and playability. Would need to be played before buying IMO.
Chris

[quote name='THT' post='312495' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:54 PM']One of the Fender's that did catch my eye was the Highway 1, but again I've heard some bad things about the bridge[/quote]

My Highway 1 jazz is a great bass, but heavily modded. For me, I'd still be looking for a good MIJ with US pups, or a used US one. Just because it says Made in USA on it, doesn't mean it's going to be good though. I played an awful one off the wall in PMT the other day, it was really uninspiring, but a Squier sat next to it, was a lovely player.

All I can say is, every Japanese Fender I've ever played has had a soul, a vibe. They all played nice, and were well put together. I can't say that about all the US ones of tried. A good US made Fender is as good as it gets for me, but they're not all good, so beware.

Pity about the one you just missed, but that just shows how good they are, you snooze, you loose.

[quote name='Beedster' post='312502' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:14 PM']Agreed as long as you like a really wide neck. I also found the my '57 suprisingly unlike a'70's Precision in terms of both sound and playability. Would need to be played before buying IMO.
Chris[/quote]

Does the OP mention he wants a 70s P thing going on? Have I missed summat?

Also, by '57-alike', I mean purely cosmetically.

[quote name='Rayman' post='312505' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:16 PM']All I can say is, every Japanese Fender I've ever played has had a soul, a vibe. They all played nice, and were well put together. I can't say that about all the US ones of tried. A good US made Fender is as good as it gets for me, but they're not all good, so beware.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='312507' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:17 PM']Does the OP mention he wants a 70s P thing going on? Have I missed summat?

Also, by '57-alike', I mean purely cosmetically.[/quote]

Fair point. Haven't seen the bass in question, but from experience most players don't get on with a C neck. My '57 didn't have a tone I'd describe as classic Precision, it was far weaker in the mids and brighter up top than the other Precisions I've owned.
C

[quote name='Rayman' post='312514' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:24 PM']One other thing I'd add........

Find a really good Fender Precison, a good reliable amp you like, and a decent cable to hook them up, and your done.

No effects, no 5 stringers, no nothing, your done.[/quote]

+1 again, which I guess is +2 :)

[quote name='Rayman' post='312514' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:24 PM']One other thing I'd add........

Find a really good Fender Precison, a good reliable amp you like, and a decent cable to hook them up, and your done.

No effects, no 5 stringers, no nothing, your done.[/quote]

Hence why I was looking for a a P bass :)

In reference to the "70s P thing", if that means the 'classic' Precision sound then yes that would be exactly what I'm looking for.

[quote name='THT' post='312528' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:43 PM']Hence why I was looking for a a P bass :)

In reference to the "70s P thing", if that means the 'classic' Precision sound then yes that would be exactly what I'm looking for.[/quote]

'Classic' is a very subjective word, but in reference to the post above, I found that most of my preicison have been capable of anything from Motown/Stax/Atlantic thump/depth when strung with heavy flats through to '70's funk/disco with some lighter rounds or full on rock/blues with heavier rounds. The '57 just didn't nail any of these the way most others had, and furthermore it sounded shocking with flats.
Probably the best Precision I've ever played was an early 90's Jap 62 re-issue :huh:
Chris

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='312538' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:54 PM']We have to be careful not to generalise. Not all 70s sound the same, and neither do all 57s.

I've had two MIA '57s and they sounded completely different, and one was GREAT with flats..[/quote]

Totally agree, possibly supports my point that you tend to see greater consistency among MIJ than MIA?
C

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='312548' date='Oct 22 2008, 10:03 PM']Nah, not really. It just means that basses are built of a material that grows out of the ground.

Until they're made entirely of carbon fibre, they'll be inconsistent regardless of which country they're from...[/quote]

Of course, but all that taken into consideration, and given that build quality etc play a big part, I still say Japs are more consistent than MIAs.
All that said, it's all a load of balls 'cos no-one standing in the pub on a Friday night is going to be able to tell the difference between an original USA '72 and an Indonesian Squire :)
C