Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

On 14/05/2018 at 18:28, Al Krow said:

For me the key downside of the T65 is that it suffers from signal bleed (which Tom has confirmed is inherent in the design) so you can never quite get a true 'clean' blend octave down; there's always a bit of dirt in there even when the 'dirty up' is dialled right down to zero. 

Side by side next to it's baby brother the T16 below (it's not quite as petite as you might expect!).

COG T65 & T16.JPG

I’m going to ask Tom whether a switched potentiometer would solve this problem (i.e. one which clicks off when turned right down).

• 2 weeks later...

Just been shared a link to this by @Cuzzie.

Check the individual voices out from 5.23 - I'm a little bit smitten! 

I'd love to hear this demo'd on bass; if it's anything like as good on bass as it is on guitar, I've got a suspicion it's going to knock the best of the older tech stuff (Aggie Octamizer, COG T16, MXR BOD) out of the park! 

Edited by Al Krow

Shhh Al, it was a secret!

Guy from bass Buddha has been playing with it recently and there may be a video soon.

No affiliation, but they are a quality manufacturer, 14 day full refund as long as you don’t batter it, I may be taking a punt!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Not sure that's correct (but I guess it depends on your definition of "ages"): I'm certainly not aware of any BCer other than Cuzzie having one on order. 

I watched the official demo video 1 year ago which was close to release time. Seen them in Berlin in the store I go to there too. 

You keen eyed geezers are correct. I do have one and it’s up on my reverb page. And it’s on SALE this month. That’s fortunate. 

Its a nice octave with a different flavour to most. It has that OC3 vibe , having the -2 octave, which is probably more suited to guitar or for some subs if you’re up the dusty end. 

Im up the dusty end myself quite a lot so no harm no foul. 

The fact you can switch the different octave in is really cool though, a bit like the octron 2. 

11 minutes ago, tonyxtiger said:

You keen eyed geezers are correct. I do have one and it’s up on my reverb page. And it’s on SALE this month. That’s fortunate. 

Its a nice octave with a different flavour to most. It has that OC3 vibe , having the -2 octave, which is probably more suited to guitar or for some subs if you’re up the dusty end. 

Im up the dusty end myself quite a lot so no harm no foul. 

The fact you can switch the different octave in is really cool though, a bit like the octron 2. 

Sounds good!  And nice sales pitch too :) Please do post a link to your reverb page and that pedal in particular and I'll definitely check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/08/2018 at 14:19, Al Krow said:

Valeton OC-10 arrived this morning. Liking it so far! 

Review posted...

Have just picked up a Valeton OC-10 off ebay for £40. Very impressed by it both in build quality and sound. Very close to the Boss OC2 IMO. Would ideally have like 1 octave down and 1 up since I don't see much point in 2 octaves down on bass, especially in analogue format, but 1 octave down on this is lovely.

• 3 weeks later...

I've always used my T16 V2 and thought it was the best thing in the world! Use it with filter set to sub, wet sound 100% and dry totally off. Had the most massive deep sub tone. Gigged it with my Spector rebop 4mm and all of a sudden to the deep bass wasn't as deep and all of a sudden distorted. Didn't expect that at all! 🤔

13 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

I've always used my T16 V2 and thought it was the best thing in the world! Use it with filter set to sub, wet sound 100% and dry totally off. Had the most massive deep sub tone. Gigged it with my Spector rebop 4mm and all of a sudden to the deep bass wasn't as deep and all of a sudden distorted. Didn't expect that at all! 🤔

Is it an active bass? Analogue octaves seem to work best with passive basses. 

44 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Was it definitely the pedal that was misbehaving or the amp you were playing through?

21 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Was it definitely the pedal that was misbehaving or the amp you were playing through?

I'm assuming the pedal, as it's the same set up I've always used except for the change in bass... I may have to do a bit of investigation, but kicking in the T16 is usually my favourite part of the set, needless to say, last night was a disappointment haha.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

I'm assuming the pedal, as it's the same set up I've always used except for the change in bass... I may have to do a bit of investigation, but kicking in the T16 is usually my favourite part of the set, needless to say, last night was a disappointment haha.

Try it out with a different rig or through headphones just to be sure. What bass do you usually use through the T16? I have to say that I can’t imagine that Spector’s tone behaving particularly well with octavers, generally. I was looking into them recently as I think they’re beautiful looking basses but hearing some sound demos I thought “that isn’t gonna work well with my octave/synth setup at all!”

53 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

It is, but the Sandberg I was using before it was too and I had no issues (admittedly the active pre in the Sandberg seemed a bit more tame)

Also, if it’s a rear pickup (especially a humbucker) it may also not fare well. My Sterling made my octavers sound dreadful. 

• Like 1