Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

Looks intriguing - just released this year by the looks of it. Quite a fun review below. It seems to be primarily aimed at guitarists but apparently tracks well on bass too. Bass focus 4.38 to 5.05 and seemed to be managing to get down to a low G without glitching. Wasn't convinced by the chorus warble with guitar but definitely interested in how @stewblack is finding particularly for octave up which wasn't demo'd on the clip for bass.

5 hours ago, AlphaK said:

Looks intriguing - just released this year by the looks of it. Quite a fun review below. It seems to be primarily aimed at guitarists but apparently tracks well on bass too. Bass focus 4.38 to 5.05 and seemed to be managing to get down to a low G without glitching. Wasn't convinced by the chorus warble with guitar but definitely interested in how @stewblack is finding particularly for octave up which wasn't demo'd on the clip for bass.

That guy is actually one of my favourite youtubers. Never bought anything in his recommendations nor followed his method and been disappointed. 

My review is on hold as this suddenly happened today. IMG_20191202_131814.thumb.jpg.20beb2102304c71b753c9103664a0393.jpg

Granddaughter is the only thing takes precedent over music. 

• Like 4

It's a beautiful pedal, lovely LCD lights which you can leave on, leave off or have come on when pedal is active. Beautiful finish to the casing. Solid metal body. Pleasing knobs in the way they turn easily but have a little resisitance. Sounds awesome. Tracks well. No audible POP when turned on. Modulation an interesting add on, but not for everyone I guess. Rubber feet supplied but not attached.

I've been through a number of octave/pitch shifting pedals but this is the one for me. Does the job without fuss. I love my Valeton for its O2 synthy sound but wanted something clean as possible without breaking the bank. This is it.

Edited by stewblack
Trying to get audio files to work
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/11/2019 at 17:29, CliveT said:

Markbass have a new octave pedal.  Can't find anything about it apart from the MB site.  I like the simple layout.  No idea when it'll be available. 

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/mb-octaver-raw-series/

This looks totally DIY. No?

Might well be interesting nonetheless though, even to me, who dislikes markbass. .

How does it compare to Cog's T16 and MXR's VBO and how do these three compare to oneanother...is there a 'winner' for tracking and tone yet?

Edited by abc

1 hour ago, abc said:

This looks totally DIY. No?

Might well be interesting nonetheless though, even to me, who dislikes markbass. .

How does it compare to Cog's T16 and MXR's VBO?

I know what you mean about the look.

Be interesting to try and see how it compares but no news yet on price and availability from what I've seen.

1 hour ago, CliveT said:

I know what you mean about the look.

Be interesting to try and see how it compares but no news yet on price and availability from what I've seen.

I think I saw it for 159 USD online.. Too expensive, if you ask me.

Just now, Jonathan Bee said:

That is cheap! How does it's upper octave compare to Sub'n' Up and Micropog?

I can't side by side compare and of course it's subjective, however I've had both of the others in the past, and kept this one. So that at least tells us something. 

On 02/12/2019 at 00:50, stewblack said:

I'll start a new thread and do a proper review but the first quick test suggests this is a Holy Grail moment. 

Cripes! Mine arrived an hour ago.

You weren't joking when you posted that. It's beautifully made with cool 'ambient lights', but the sounds are amazingly flexible.

Most impressive is the multi-note tracking, it's lovely on two notes, but seems to hesitate a bit with if you play three or four strings that include an octave.

I found the 'modulation' a bit odd, a small amount helps most sounds, but generally higher settings were a bit in your face. Then I put dry at about 1 o'clock and up at 3 o'clock with a tiny bit of sub, and dialled the mod to see what would happen. The note swells in and shimmers sounding like the 'vox humana' setting on an organ, ethereal and potentially very useful.

I can see this being really useful for all sorts of organ/synth like effects.