Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

5 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I wouldn't say the tracking is great, much like the OC2... but it does sound great. Like most octavers, it sounds better if you play the higher registers.

Ah interesting, I got mine to track pretty low without glitching, but good to have balanced feedback on the unit. 

16 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

Regarding the OC-10. How close to the OC2 is it? I have an OC2, but a drop-in replacement with a smaller footprint would be desirable. I'd be able to squeeze my Octo Nojs back on the board - for that unique gated fuzz.

Incredibly close. I posted a review on the OC-10 in the reviews section. There's also a YouTube clip A/Bing the two and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart sound wise.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

@Al Krow Cool. I'll investigate. Big claims were made for the Okto Nojs at the time but it's much less resonant and synthy than the OC2.  The fuzz is the best synth fuzz I've used though.

You prefer the Octo Nojs synth fuzz to the Mastotron, Tech 21 Red Ripper and the Prunes & Custard then?

Edited by Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You prefer the Octo Nojs synth fuzz to the Mastotron, Tech 21 Red Ripper and the Punes & Custard then?

The gating on the Mastotron is incredible and it's super aggressive, but the basic tonality of the Nojs side and the ability add a subharmonic square-wave make it a winner for me for synth stuff. It's useless as a standard fuzz , mind. I do still want a Prunes and Custard. I still want a lot of things though!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

Regarding the OC-10. How close to the OC2 is it? I have an OC2, but a drop-in replacement with a smaller footprint would be desirable. I'd be able to squeeze my Octo Nojs back on the board - for that unique gated fuzz.

Damn, I really would like to get the Octo Nøjs again, the fuzz circuit is really lovely. 

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You prefer the Octo Nojs synth fuzz to the Mastotron, Tech 21 Red Ripper and the Prunes & Custard then?

I preferred it over the RR - the lack of gating made it a bit noisy for my needs.

23 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

The gating on the Mastotron is incredible and it's super aggressive, but the basic tonality of the Nojs side and the ability add a subharmonic square-wave make it a winner for me for synth stuff. It's useless as a standard fuzz , mind. I do still want a Prunes and Custard. I still want a lot of things though!

I agree with this.

3 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

The new MXR Vintage Bass Octave might be an option too, I hear it's pretty close to the OC-2. With any luck they might have cloned the tone but not the volume drop!

Sadly, I’ve tried everything except an OC2. The MXR is my only octaver now. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

The new MXR Vintage Bass Octave might be an option too, I hear it's pretty close to the OC-2. With any luck they might have cloned the tone but not the volume drop!

I use mine in an ES5 and just boost the gain with the looper. The MXR is pretty pricey too.

10 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Yeah but the MXR is like 4 times the price of the OC-10!! 

20 minutes ago, CliveT said:

The MXR Bass Octave Deluxe gets pretty close to the OC2 sound too, and has plenty of headroom.  Not too pricey on the used market either.

But horribly noisy circuit even on bypass. Only lasted 24 hrs on my board because of this.

11 hours ago, radiophonic said:

Close enough that if you really like the OC-2, you will probably not miss it after playing the OC-10.

I haven't played both side by side and it's been a few years since I last had an OC-2, but the OC-10 reminds me a lot of one, down to the glitch-prone response below A on the 4th string, and the videos I've seen comparing them confirmed to me that there was not much between them. It feels reassuringly solid too.

51 minutes ago, CliveT said:

You must have had a problem unit :(  Mine isn't noisy at all. 

Appreciate your experience has been much more positive. It's a relatively widely known issue and you're correct, some units are noisier than others, but it's certainly not isolated. The newer MXR VBD was designed to be less noisy, implicitly acknowledging the issue with the BOD. 

Here you go from a quick Google search and from our very own archives! 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, CliveT said:

You must have had a problem unit :(  Mine isn't noisy at all. 

I had one and was noise-free too as far as I could tell, but I've read about others complaining about it, so it may be some units or that they're too sensitive to certain environments, not sure.

50 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I had one and was noise-free too as far as I could tell, but I've read about others complaining about it, so it may be some units or that they're too sensitive to certain environments, not sure.

That's the explanation provided to me ie super sensitive circuit. But was noisy on clean by pass not just when engaged,which was more frustrating. I do agree that Central London seems to accentuate noise on pedals and basses.