Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

13 minutes ago, GisserD said:

yes there is. The octamizer. Cam and I agreed on that ages ago!

But it has the highest cut-off for its good tracking (around a low A) before it starts glitching, of any of the octavers. It's core octave sound is so 'organic' / good, however, that can largely offset this in terms of it being 'loved'. 

Next. 

Edited by Al Krow

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But it has the highest cut-off for its good tracking (around a low A) before it starts glitching, of any of the octavers. 

I’ll have to re-test this now that I own P-loaded basses. When I first got the Octamizer my only bass was an Ibanez BTB33 which has soap bars. Analogue octavers are not the biggest fan of soap bars or anything that isn’t a P pickup so I’ll be interested to do a side by side comparison now that I have P options.

Still, whether or not its limit is an A or not, I still maintain that anything lower than a low A rapidly falls into inaudible territory (in terms of accurately perceiving the pitch) and loses musical usefulness. 

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

Still, whether or not its limit is an A or not, I still maintain that anything lower than a low A rapidly falls into inaudible territory (in terms of accurately perceiving the pitch) and loses musical usefulness. 

I agree. Low B string is LOW!! And I've definitely come round to your thinking that anything below that isn't particularly useful. 

However you don't want your octaver glitching all over the shop either. 

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Without me having to read a dozen pages....

is there any agreement as what is the best tracking octave pedal? 

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and Vintage Bass Octave, hands down. (Heard similar things about EBS Octabass but never played one myself.) Octo-Nøjs didn’t track as low but even tracked all open strings (except E) on a four-string. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

MXR BOD has a raft of complaints about its helicopter noise. 

No one has actually bought the MXR Vintage (AFAIK) on BC so the jury is still out on that one. 

And IMO there are two pedals that have better reputation for low tracking. One of them is the clear winner (based on reputation) but not popular at all due to weak subs, and the other is a massive best seller :)

(And btw it's not COG). 

Edited by Al Krow

I found the MXR BOD didn't track as well as my BOSS OC 2. Valeton OC 10 tracked similar, just didn't sound quite as full and warm (very slight difference). I've settled on Octavbre Mini... I haven't AB'ed with OC2/OC10 yet but from memory I'd say it tracks slightly less better than the OC2. It does have the extra volume and tone control which won me over.

I seem to remember the Digitech BSW having fantastic tracking on the octave setting.... can't remember the tone now.. any confirmation on this anyone?

Edited by Jonathan Bee

52 minutes ago, Jonathan Bee said:

MXR Vintage So you're saying it tracks better than the Octavbre, what about the tone difference? Does it lose any volume when just on -1 Octave?

Yep. MXR tracks noticably better. 3 Leaf has way more gain on tap. There’s a second dip switch inside and I’m hoping it’ll mute the lower octave and boost the other.  

The 3 Leaf is smoother (at the far anti-clockwise end of the tone knob in TIM mode) and deeper. The MXR is bouncier and less subby. I thought the MXR sounded better than the 3 Leaf when both have some dry mixed in as it blends better on the former; on the latter, the two signals remain distinct-sounding.

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Without me having to read a dozen pages....

is there any agreement as what is the best tracking octave pedal? 

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

No

As borne witness by the subsequent posts, can I just say that my short answer to your Q was completely on the money! 😂 😂😂😂

• Like 3

If your question is what tracks better than the MXR BOD and has at least or better organic / authentic tone, then the answer is probably not much!

Maybe Peter's new MXR Vintage OD (big thread on TB about this) or if you want an OC2 synthy tone, then the Valeton OC-10 is worth considering. There's also a lot of love for the 3 Leaf Octabvre Mk2. 

Have you not found anything on the Helix that comes close to MXR BOD for tracking + organic sounding? 

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If your question is what tracks better than the MXR BOD and has at least or better organic / authentic tone, then the answer is probably not much!

Maybe Peter's new MXR Vintage OD (big thread on TB about this) or if you want an OC2 synthy tone, then the Valeton OC-10 is worth considering. There's also a lot of love for the 3 Leaf Octabvre Mk2. 

Have you not found anything on the Helix that comes close to MXR BOD for tracking + organic sounding? 

The MXR does synthy tone, tracks as well as the BOD. I just sold my Octabvre MkII which is also very synthy (though there is a MkIII due soon which adds an octave up).

15 hours ago, Al Krow said:

This is for a big band gig. Can't be arsed to take my rack for that! Bass, tuner, compressor, amp. and now an Octave.

Although I had forgotten the BSW does a great octave. I'll have to dig that out. Only downside is that it eats batteries and for this I want to keep a battery powered board.

• Like 1

For me the best tracking definately the EBS octabass, closely followed by the MXR BOD (great tone too,but yes it makes a funny gurgling sound). I found the octamiser to have the worst tracking (although slightly better than the OC2) but what a great tone! The OC3 tracked very well as its digital but I found the tone quite bland.

The cog T65/16 tracks brilliantly, I really didn't notice any difference in tracking from the MXR. The IE Subterraneana tracks fairly well too! I've never tried the 3 leaf but it's on the list. Still for me EBS octabass is the dogs dangles 😁

• Like 1

My experience was that The T16 had really tight (negligible latency) tracking and a really good tone (particularly with clean blend) but started glitching around the G on the low E string. 

That's the other point when discussing tracking with octavers, just so we are all on the same page. There are two tracking parameters:

- how tightly it tracks (minimal latency);

- how low it tracks. 

Then need to overlay what tone you're after:

- OC2 synthy

- organic (mirrors the tone of the 'clean') 

Edited by Al Krow

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

My experience was that The T16 had really tight (negligible latency) tracking and a really good tone (particularly with clean blend) but started glitching around the G on the low E string. 

That's the other point when discussing tracking with octavers, just so we are all on the same page. There are two tracking parameters:

- how tightly it tracks (minimal latency);

- how low it tracks. 

Then need to overlay what tone you're after:

- OC2 synthy

- organic (mirrors the tone of the 'clean') 

When I’m talking about “tight tracking” I’m not talking about latency, but rather it’s ability to latch onto a note without glitches.  

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, CliveT said:

Markbass have a new octave pedal.  Can't find anything about it apart from the MB site.  I like the simple layout.  No idea when it'll be available. 

http://www.markbass.it/product-detail/mb-octaver-raw-series/

Interesting! I have their previous octave (now discontinued) and it's pretty good, great tracking. 

Meanwhile, I've also have a Valeton OC-10 in my small board and I've been using that today... I forgot how cool sounding this is. 

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Best value OC2 clone in the market today. And great tracking to boot! 

I wouldn't say the tracking is great, much like the OC2... but it does sound great. Like most octavers, it sounds better if you play the higher registers.