Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

3 hours ago, radiophonic said:

What's your take on the solo'd octave down sound of the OC-10 vs the Okto-Nojs? For anything other than filter sweeps, I prefer a little bit of clean blend on the ON and the tone never leaves 12 O'Clock. I guess what I'm saying is that for pedal with a  lot of knobs, I don't find it that flexible. However - Parallel fuzz for the win, so it's probably a keeper for practical reasons. I doubt the audience or even the rest of the band would notice the difference. 

Sadly I’ve not had them side by side so can only judge from memory. The ON is probably buzzier. In terms of bottom end, I think the Valeton has a bit more (but not as much as the Octabvre). For under £40 the Valeton is a nice pedal.

If using with a filter I’d open the tone right up and use the separate filter to cut the highs.

The ON isn’t as flexible as the Cog T-70 as that particular pedal can switch between three different user-defined settings at the press of a footswitch. 

Just picked up a mid-eighties OC2 “Octaver”, in addition to my mid-eighties Japanese “Octave” and late-eighties Taiwanese “Octave” OC2s. This one actually seems to track a little better and sounds a little smoother than the other two.

On 29/10/2018 at 22:23, Quatschmacher said:

You should totally get a Mastotron anyway. It doesn’t give more, it gives something else. I don’t think I’d be without mine now. The OC-10 is pretty cool sounding too. I think I’ll probably end up buying another Octo Nøjs too. 

I just ordered a Mastotron. More toys. I’ve heard a few demos of the OC10 now and it certainly sounds very close to the OC2. Probably worth getting one irrespective.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

I just ordered a Mastotron. More toys. I’ve heard a few demos of the OC10 now and it certainly sounds very close to the OC2. Probably worth getting one irrespective.

Nice one, with the subs on full it is fantastic at driving envelope followers. 

11 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Nice one, with the subs on full it is fantastic at driving envelope followers. 

Are the subs completely passive - no tracking to worry about? My only issue with the octo nojs is the glitching of the Nojs subharmonic square wave. I want to be able use this like a proper gnarly fuzz.

7 hours ago, radiophonic said:

Are the subs completely passive - no tracking to worry about? My only issue with the octo nojs is the glitching of the Nojs subharmonic square wave. I want to be able use this like a proper gnarly fuzz.

I don’t quite understand what you mean about the subs being passive. It doesn’t glitch. Many fuzz pedals are lacking in dynamics and oompf. The Mastotron is not one of those. 

Hi folks 🙂

So recorded some clips of Boss OC2 and Valeton OC10. (The OC2 is the Japanese 'Octaver' model that requires the 12v input or needs to be daisy chained from LS2 or similar).

Recording chain: Ibanez EDB600 active bass > TC Spectracomp > VOX Lil Looper > BOSS LS2 > Loop A: OC2 > Behringer UMC404HD > Cubase

> Loop B: OC10

I looped a line with the LIL Looper and A/B'ed it with the LS2

Part One  Clean line once, then alternating between OC2 and OC10.

Part Two: Shorter line alternating between OC2 and OC10.

To my ears the OC10 has a higher low mid quality to it, and has peaks/distortions in that area, in certain parts of the line.  This makes the OC2 slightly warmer and rounder sounding.

Maybe the OC10 could be EQ'd to make it sound slightly warmer and less gain/passive bass might reduce the peaks, but for my set up the OC2 sounds better.

How do these sounds compare to the OCTABVRE, @Quatschmacher?

With headphones's I noticed some noise between my notes, and a little quiet glitching at the end of the alternating line in 'Part Two'. Is this usual or due to not enough damping of strings/Active bass?

OC2 and OC10 part one.mp3

OC 2 and OC10 part two.mp3

Edited by Jonathan Bee
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Bee said:

Hi folks 🙂

So recorded some clips of Boss OC2 and Valeton OC10. (The OC2 is the Japanese 'Octaver' model that requires the 12v input or needs to be daisy chained from LS2 or similar).

Recording chain: Ibanez EDB600 active bass > TC Spectracomp > VOX Lil Looper > BOSS LS2 > Loop A: OC2 > Behringer UMC404HD > Cubase

> Loop B: OC10

I looped a line with the LIL Looper and A/B'ed it with the LS2

Part One  Clean line once, then alternating between OC2 and OC10.

Part Two: Shorter line alternating between OC2 and OC10.

To my ears the OC10 has a higher low mid quality to it, and has peaks/distortions in that area, in certain parts of the line.  This makes the OC2 slightly warmer and rounder sounding.

Maybe the OC10 could be EQ'd to make it sound slightly warmer and less gain/passive bass might reduce the peaks, but for my set up the OC2 sounds better.

How do these sounds compare to the OCTABVRE, @Quatschmacher?

With headphones's I noticed some noise between my notes, and a little quiet glitching at the end of the alternating line in 'Part Two'. Is this usual or due to not enough damping of strings/Active bass?

OC2 and OC10 part one.mp3

OC 2 and OC10 part two.mp3

Is the sound with the glitching the Valeton? If so, and the non-glitching sound is the Boss, then I prefer the latter as it has more bottom.

The Octabvre is more like the Boss in that (in Tim mode) it has a lot of bottom end. 

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Ooooh I like the form factor! (Same as the COG T16 and Valeton OC-10) And if it was only three rather than FOUR times the price of a Valeton OC-10 I might even have been tempted at half the price...😂

But glad to see that Jim Dunlop's crew seem to have realised what a noisy bugger the predecessor BOD was - lasted all of 24 hours on my board because of that.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

I’m definitely interested in this. If it has the same great tracking of the MXR BOD with the sound of the OC-2, then along with the  lovely blue livery and a small package, what’s not to like? Also, more headroom than original I’m hoping will translate into more gain on tap. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

• 1 month later...

KMA Machines QUEEQUEG - Subgenerator

The bass demo starts at 4.35 with a MTD 435.

Just has one knob for clean / wet blend.

Not entirely sure where KMA are looking to pitch this (excuse the pun).

Kinda hoping it might be a modern day DOD Meatbox, but it doesn't seem to be.

Lack of volume control on any pedal is always a big minus for me. 

20 minutes ago, danny-79 said:

I’ve been using this for a few years now. Discontinued now I believe (don’t know why so feel free to explain) but I’m quite happy with it. Tracks a lot better since I moved my Thumpinator in front of it

FE65C030-728D-45CC-B4CE-E9314509B9DE.jpeg

My favourite one too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danny-79 said:

I’ve been using this for a few years now. Discontinued now I believe (don’t know why so feel free to explain) but I’m quite happy with it. Tracks a lot better since I moved my Thumpinator in front of it

FE65C030-728D-45CC-B4CE-E9314509B9DE.jpeg

Now been incorporated into the Markbass Supersynth I believe, which is still being sold, and where it could be said to outshine the "synth" part of that pedal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Now been incorporated into the Markbass Supersynth I believe, which is still being sold, and where it could be said to outshine the "synth" part of that pedal!

That makes sense. Only ever had one synth pedal and couldn’t find a construct use for it so moved it on. 

Definitely got no plans to get rid of my MB Octaver anyways. It’s a keeper!