Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

27 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Also, if it’s a rear pickup (especially a humbucker) it may also not fare well. My Sterling made my octavers sound dreadful. 

21 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

This.

I'm thinking you both may have hit the nail on the head... Any suggestions on how to make them play nice? I'm planning on selling the Sandberg and don't really want to keep such a nice bass for 2/3 songs max.

Just now, thisisswanbon said:

I'm thinking you both may have hit the nail on the head... Any suggestions on how to make them play nice? I'm planning on selling the Sandberg and don't really want to keep such a nice bass for 2/3 songs max.

Try backing off the volume a lot. Also, I found that bumping the mids (or backing off the bass and treble) helped. (The best solution is just to use a passive front pickup Bass such as a jazz or precision.) Does your bass have the ability to be run in passive mode?

23 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Try backing off the volume a lot. Also, I found that bumping the mids (or backing off the bass and treble) helped. (The best solution is just to use a passive front pickup Bass such as a jazz or precision.) Does your bass have the ability to be run in passive mode?

I’m pretty sure the Spector ReBop MM has a 2-band EQ

Edited by CameronJ

25 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It doesn't unfortunately, and it's a boost only 2 band eq! 😬

Would the T47 running at 18v not handle it a bit better perhaps?

1 minute ago, thisisswanbon said:

Would the T47 running at 18v not handle it a bit better perhaps?

Probably not. It’s the inherent characteristics of that kind of pickup in that position which analogue octavers just don’t like very much. Digital octavers won’t mind it but as we all know they aren’t as juicy sounding!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Probably not. It’s the inherent characteristics of that kind of pickup in that position which analogue octavers just don’t like very much. Digital octavers won’t mind it but as we all know they aren’t as juicy sounding!

The thought of going to a digital pedal gives me shudders... What about running a compressor before the T16? Could that maybe tame things enough? Failing that, I may have to buy a cheap precision to use on those tunes.

3 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

The thought of going to a digital pedal gives me shudders... What about running a compressor before the T16? Could that maybe tame things enough? Failing that, I may have to buy a cheap precision to use on those tunes.

In all honesty, buying a cheap precision will give you the fastest, most consistent results. And you may even love the P bass enough to use it without the T16 too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

In all honesty, buying a cheap precision will give you the fastest, most consistent results. And you may even love the P bass enough to use it without the T16 too!

4 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Thanks for the help and advice, gents :). Not the answers I was hoping for, but it is what it is :)

3 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Thanks for the help and advice, gents :). Not the answers I was hoping for, but it is what it is :)

A Jazz would work just fine on the neck pickup. In fact, my former 75 reissue got even better results than my Precision, though I’m not sure if that was to do with the strings (Rotosound steel rounds), the single coil pickup or the ash (as opposed to alder) body. 

10 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

A Jazz would work just fine on the neck pickup. In fact, my former 75 reissue got even better results than my Precision, though I’m not sure if that was to do with the strings (Rotosound steel rounds), the single coil pickup or the ash (as opposed to alder) body. 

Been looking at the Sub n Up last night actually, I'd rather the issue be fixed at the pedal than having to buy other basses.  I'd have thought with the toneprint editor I'd be able to get close(-ish) enough to the big analogue sub settings on my T16. Any prolific Sub n Up users had any experience with MM bridge pick ups?

14 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

8 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Been looking at the Sub n Up last night actually, I'd rather the issue be fixed at the pedal than having to buy other basses.  I'd have thought with the toneprint editor I'd be able to get close(-ish) enough to the big analogue sub settings on my T16. Any prolific Sub n Up users had any experience with MM bridge pick ups?

The sub n up is digital.... 

So after buying a sub n up to replace the T16... then buying a second sub n up because I loved the capabilities of the first one so much... I discovered there's an internal tone pump adjuster inside the body cavity! I dropped that 1/8th of a turn, and it'll now play nicely with my T16!

I now have 3 varients of sub octaves that I'm likely to never need, but hopefully this info will help someone else down the line, as I haven't found it anywhere else :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Could anyone recommend a Boss OC-2 copy for under £100? 

I had the real deal a few years back but stupidly sold the pedal. 

Is the OC-3 any good? 

Four or so of us BCers have got a Valeton OC-10 and are all v happy with how it nails the OC-2 sound, whilst at the same time being cheaper new than a used OC-2 is, and also having a smaller footprint.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, abc said:

Have the Palmer Unterton and Emma octonois been mentioned yet?

I know the palmer tracks well and imagine the Emma will too...it does sound interesting , judging from clips.

Undoubtedly by me. I had an Octo Nøjs and loved it. I sold it recently and am kind of regretting it as the parallel gated fuzz in it is brilliant. It tracks pretty well and is much better on open strings (other than low E) than the other October’s I’ve had, including the MXR, which is still the best-tracking octaver I’ve played; the Red Witch Zeus came a close second. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

On 21/09/2018 at 14:31, Al Krow said:

Four or so of us BCers have got a Valeton OC-10 and are all v happy with how it nails the OC-2 sound, whilst at the same time being cheaper new than a used OC-2 is, and also having a smaller footprint.

Yep. For well under £100 this is awesome. I can’t say with absolute authority if it truly nails the OC-2 sound as I’ve never played one. I’ve only ever heard recordings of it. It sounds spot on compared to those though. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Regarding the Okto Nojs, it's yet another flavour to the OC2. Similar ballpark, but not the same. Tracking isn't bad with a Stingray, although still glitchier than I'd hoped and you have to be really careful with dynamics. The parallel gated fuzz is great for synthy stuff, although not super useable for anything else since the gate isn't adjustable. I do still wonder if a OC-10 and a Mastotron might give me more, but it remains my austerity solution for now.

1 hour ago, radiophonic said:

Regarding the Okto Nojs, it's yet another flavour to the OC2. Similar ballpark, but not the same. Tracking isn't bad with a Stingray, although still glitchier than I'd hoped and you have to be really careful with dynamics. The parallel gated fuzz is great for synthy stuff, although not super useable for anything else since the gate isn't adjustable. I do still wonder if a OC-10 and a Mastotron might give me more, but it remains my austerity solution for now.

You should totally get a Mastotron anyway. It doesn’t give more, it gives something else. I don’t think I’d be without mine now. The OC-10 is pretty cool sounding too. I think I’ll probably end up buying another Octo Nøjs too. 

9 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

You should totally get a Mastotron anyway. It doesn’t give more, it gives something else. I don’t think I’d be without mine now. The OC-10 is pretty cool sounding too. I think I’ll probably end up buying another Octo Nøjs too. 

What's your take on the solo'd octave down sound of the OC-10 vs the Okto-Nojs? For anything other than filter sweeps, I prefer a little bit of clean blend on the ON and the tone never leaves 12 O'Clock. I guess what I'm saying is that for pedal with a  lot of knobs, I don't find it that flexible. However - Parallel fuzz for the win, so it's probably a keeper for practical reasons. I doubt the audience or even the rest of the band would notice the difference.