Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

11 minutes ago, GisserD said:

I back to backed them a few times. 

To my ears there was no competition on the fuzz side. The zeus is gnarly and sputtery. Whereas the okto was just a bit smoother. I sold the okto on swiftly.  Strokes for folks tho. 

The octaves were comparable but again the zeus won out for me. 

Not had them side by side but it’s exactly the sputtery fuzz that sounds amazing on the Zeus (and I love my Octo Nøjs, but it can’t achieve that effect, nor does it have control over the gate; it does have a tone control for the octave (on both sides of the pedal)).

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

I back to backed them a few times. 

To my ears there was no competition on the fuzz side. The zeus is gnarly and sputtery. Whereas the okto was just a bit smoother. I sold the okto on swiftly.  Strokes for folks tho. 

The octaves were comparable but again the zeus won out for me. 

Well there we go - I much preferred the smoothness of the Okto! Just seems more controllable, which I like a lot. I’m not a dirt connoisseur though to be fair!

one man’s trash is another man’s treasure :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

@GisserD your continuing (impressive) pedal board set up:

- both the Broughton Synth Voice and the Aggie Octamizer? How do the two compare / when do you find you're using them?

- interested that (alongside the versatile Manta) the GR2 is your envelope filter of choice beating a bunch of competition (and I know you've had a few!), but the Bananana has not made the cut (yet)! Be interested in what makes the 3Leaf GR2 the 'winner' as compared to all the various other filter pedals that have come and gone from your board?

DSC_0271.JPG

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@GisserD your continuing (impressive) pedal board set up:

- both the Broughton Synth Voice and the Aggie Octamizer? How do the two compare / when do you find you're using them?

- interested that (alongside the versatile Manta) the GR2 is your envelope filter of choice beating a bunch of competition (and I know you've had a few!), but the Bananana has not made the cut (yet)! Be interested in what makes the 3Leaf GR2 the 'winner' as compared to all the various other filter pedals that have come and gone from your board?

I use both octaves for very different reasons. the broughton is very much a synth tone generator. its a great sounding OC-2 esque, amazing tracking synth pedal. The aggie serves a different purpose all together.... Its more of a blended octave down copy of the input signal...but the original signal has a lot of the lows reduced, and the octave down has them more pronounced.

The GR2 is used almost exclusively with the 2nd mastotron in its loop. Its the core of so many of my sounds because it just sounds fantastic. For funky fingerstyle the Mini Mu is my go to filter as its the fattest/quackiest ive come across yet!  the manta is used if i need something more complex for dubstep style `wabs` for example.

The bananana hasnt been incorporated into any of my songs at the moment so diddnt make the board. yet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest adi77

recently discovered a pretty cool octave sound in the aftershock, used that along with the nano pog and got this cool modulation sound going along with a trem and delay for one of these days 

Guest adi77
1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

Say what? Do you mean the Octavia clone?

No i made a few octave and fuzz and stacked gain patches using their app 

you can make patches for 2 channels in the after shock and then blend them into a single (mono) out 

1 hour ago, adi77 said:

No i made a few octave and fuzz and stacked gain patches using their app 

you can make patches for 2 channels in the after shock and then blend them into a single (mono) out 

I’m aware of the capability to stack drives on the Aftershock. It’s news to me that you can load an octaver into it. Have I understood that correctly?

On 11/04/2018 at 17:02, Quatschmacher said:

Not had them side by side but it’s exactly the sputtery fuzz that sounds amazing on the Zeus (and I love my Octo Nøjs, but it can’t achieve that effect, nor does it have control over the gate; it does have a tone control for the octave (on both sides of the pedal)).

I have had chance to AB these now and actually I think the octave on the Zeus is fatter. Not tweakable but a really fantastic sound, feel and tracking.

The fuzz is definitely gnarlier than the ON too.

The thing that let the Zeus down for me is that there were very definite sweet spots and then areas where the sound was really noisy or even almost disappears. I’d be worried that if a knob were to get knocked slightly in a playing situation it could have disastrous consequences.

Guest adi77
1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’m aware of the capability to stack drives on the Aftershock. It’s news to me that you can load an octaver into it. Have I understood that correctly?

just went into the editor 

i used the bass octave fuzz patch stacked bass big pi for that one if that helps

Guest adi77

just checked out the edit

drive maximum is lowered on the octave and bass level is increased voiced at 70hz mids are scooped so its kind of cleanish anyway

hope this helps

Guest adi77

also

im hitting these effects really hard mainly because i want the trem to be more choppy (it seems to do that when hit harder) so the cali is kind of maxed out and gritty going into all these effects

that itself makes the pedals behave differently

• 3 weeks later...

Got an Octamizer a little while ago... I really like the tilt EQ control on the clean channel, I wasn't expecting it to be as useful as it is. If you have your octaver early in the chain, adding the extra subs can end up feeding too much signal into dirt pedals, driving them pretty hard. By rolling off a bit of low end from your dry signal, you ease up on the amount of bass going into the rest of the chain which makes things sound much clearer and tighter as a result.

:i-m_so_happy:

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

Just when you thought it might be safe to put your wallets away...

https://www.mu-tron.com/shop/pedals/octavider/

[Aside: been having a chat about whether octavers should appear later in the signal chain e.g. after the dirt pedal. I've personally found that my T16 is much happier at the start of the chain to have the 'cleanest' signal to latch onto. Interestingly the recommendation for this is the same:  "The OCTAVIDER can be used successfully with many other devices, but the OCTAVIDER must be the first to receive the signal from the instrument."] 

Edited by Al Krow

PS - if this new pedal lives up to 80% of it's hype it could be something special:

"newly developed circuitry that analyzes the original signal and “pairs” it with the note one octave below, matching tone color and dynamics over an exceptionally wide range. The unique “stabilization” circuit (patent pending) enables the Mu-Tron OCTAVIDER to “lock into” the musical tone and sound a simultaneous sub-octave with accuracy that is not found in any other device. An important advance in electronic music technology, the OCTAVIDER has the same quality, ruggedness, and reliability that makes Mu-Tron the first choice of professional musicians."

Edited by Al Krow

Yeah I think pretty much all analog octavers need to be first in line, receiving an unaffected signal. Compressors are fine, but anything else which adds harmonics etc will only confuse the circuit. Digital octavers are a different story

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

Yeah I think pretty much all analog octavers need to be first in line, receiving an unaffected signal. Compressors are fine, but anything else which adds harmonics etc will only confuse the circuit. Digital octavers are a different story

Makes sense - although Darren was finding that (your and his fav!) Aggie Octamizer may be an exception to the rule.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

[Aside: been having a chat about whether octavers should appear later in the signal chain e.g. after the dirt pedal. I've personally found that my T16 is much happier at the start of the chain to have the 'cleanest' signal to latch onto. Interestingly the recommendation for this is the same:  "The OCTAVIDER can be used successfully with many other devices, but the OCTAVIDER must be the first to receive the signal from the instrument."] 

If you’re even vaguely thinking of getting one, do it quickly as his stuff sells out really fast and then it’s really hard to get. I wanted a Micro-Tron III but have never found one and now from that link I saw that they recently made a batch of black ones which are also now all gone. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Why, whyWHY in the flying eff do musical gear companies think that a bunch of ad copy BS is going to sell gear? Someone once said 'Talking (or writing) about music is like dancing about architecture."

If they want to sell stuff, they should post a damn video or soundclip.