Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I think the POG plays polyphonic too (though I could be wrong).

I had a chat with the Aguilar folks at the London Bass Show (Olympia) and they said the Octamizer liked to be first in the effects chain (but I think most makers probably say that!). I also tried making a passive tone control and putting that in before it (just to tone down the harmonics), but it didn't do much; I may revisit that at ome point.

A passive tone control pedal?

14 hours ago, prowla said:

Yep - I bought a (cheap) passive volume pedal and wired in a .047 cap!

I posted a thread ages ago asking if something like this would be possible - glad to hear it is! Though I remember some folk saying that the tone cap needed to receive the direct loading effect of the pickups on the bass in order to behave properly...or something along those lines? It was (and still is) somewhat beyond my comprehension.

@Al Krow @Quatschmacher

id love to get one of the several BOD's on here,however I've two little girlie's who can't wait for father Christmas to leave presents and i dont think he does pedals (read spent up) :)

great demo and it sounds great! by clean octave I mean clean fullup and a really smooth octave without a lot of highs! my benchmark is the EBS Octabass,however I want something smaller. The Cog T16 would be great as I use my T65 as a synth engine with the clean down and high up! (I still like the smooth OC2 style octave sound thiugh) but we all know the T65 is still a bit dirty when clean. The MXR is quite small and ive read the growl is supposed to emulate the OC2 while the girth emulates the EBS!!! so that sounds ideal :)

Edited by lee650

@lee650 agreed with all of that up to and including the comments on the T65. You're not going to go far wrong with the COGT16 or the MXR from what you've said above are the key things you're looking for. But it does kinda feels that the MXR is just edging it for you?

You should get one of your littleun's an MXR and to keep things fair the other one a COG T16? :D

@Al Krow

lol!! yeah I'm sure my wife would appreciate me giving the gift of pedals!! I had the T16 and loved it (sold mine to Quatschmaker) but got a T65 for the extra functionality,but its a different sound. I'd love Tom to make me a T47/T70 variant with one T65 channel and a T16, maybe even the sub channel (basically a T 70 with two less knobs) it may not be much more expensive than buying an MXR (obviously sell my custom T65 )

ive owned the EBS, OC2/3, T16, Octamiser so the MXR is oneI haven't tried.

Edited by lee650

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great spot by @Cuzzie from his current favourite German pedal maker.

Doesn't seem to be any bass demos as yet, but it has all the makings of an excellent fully analogue octave with associated tight monophonic tracking and a LOT of versatility...I'm seriously tempted!

8 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

@Bill have you gone off the micro Pog or any POg for solo’s then?

No not at all - I still use the POG for solo's but as an all-round great octave pedal the BOSS OC-2 wins for me, the low octave on the POG doesnt seem to be as tight as the BOSS, its a bit washy, but the high octave is killing obviously :-)

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Haha....well Janek is also partly to blame ;)

Si

But only partly, right? :D

On 26/11/2017 at 23:06, Sibob said:

IMG_7885.thumb.JPG.6546c336498c33ec0ca248ed83fe32e2.JPG

*Don't worry, there is a video below*

For as long as I've had my little collection of Boss OC-2s, people have asked the inevitable; "what do they sound like all together?".

Up to this point I'd never tried because, well, that's silly right?! 

Well here it is, a very quick hit of my 7 OC-2s together.

The looped bass 'riff' had to start high on the bass neck to accommodate the stacked low octaves as best as possible. We ignore the -2 octave control, and so each pedal starts with no direct signal and 100% -1 level. Once all on, we start to introduce the clean blend on each pedal. I have to ride the Input gain of the recording device a bit, simply because of the sheer amount of signal going on, but once we get to OC-2 number 5 & onwards, they start to overload each other. So the distortion that you're hearing is not a clipped signal into the iTrack Pocket, but OC-2 pedal 5, 6 & 7 themselves clipping.

Helpful? No

Silly? Yes

Have fun. 

*USE HEADPHONES OR DECENT SPEAKERS".

For the geeks who get this far, bass is a US Lakland 44-94 passive P/J, and the OC-2s are one of each iteration of the pedal, as follows:

- Black Label Japan Octaver

- Black Label Japan Octaver

- Black Label Japan Octave (lighter paint)

- Black Label Taiwan Octave (darker paint)

--Silver Label Taiwan Octave

- plus two extra un-boxed Octavers. I tend to gig these two.

Si

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 11:22, Quatschmacher said:

Seriously just get one already, there are plenty in the for-sale section. ?

I actually thought the T-16 sounded more synth-like, and by that I mean buzzy. That’s because you can open its filter right up. Even with the filter open it is very fat. It also gets way dubbier as closing the filter cuts off all the high end.

By comparison, the MXR has two fixed voices, each with its own volume knob. The “growl” knob on its own it quite OC-2-like but thin as doesn’t have the full bottom end. You need to blend in some of the “girth” to achieve that. You need to strike a balance as adding “girth” seems to mask some of the buzzy character.

Think the MXR really shines when you blend in clean signal and being able to use the mid boost makes a big difference (and I haven’t even tried flipping it to the other frequency or adjusting the gain).

You will be pushed to find an analogue octave pedal that plays as tightly and tracks as well as this.

What do you mean by “clean octave”? Are you describing the character of just the sub signal? Do you mean something like “devoid of buzzy high-end overtones”? Do you Class the T-16 with the tone rolled off quite far “clean octave”?

I've used the MXR bass octave deluxe for some time now and am very happy with it.  I'm still playing with the mid boost setting though to get it exactly where I want it so I'd be interested to know if you have adjusted from the factory preset or not?

With a passive P bass I find the factory preset (I think it's 400 hz with the trim pot at 12:00 so about 9 db?) quite harsh and mid heavy but then if you dial the dry back to about 11:30 you get a mid focused dry tone that's pokes through the octave voices.  Push the dry much past 12:00 with the factory preset and the dry is too mid heavy for me.  This may be because the P bass has a good low mid grunt too.  

I tried the higher 850 hz frequency and this sounded good at home, but in a band mix gets lost for me.

Recently I've been running the mid boost at the 400 hz frequency but backing the trim pot back to 10:00, so about 6db of boost.  This means I can push the dry higher with a smaller mid boost which then sounds a little more natural.

Be interested to hear other MXR users thoughts on this too.