Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1505494128' post='3372400']
Note to self!! Get an LS2 they seem so handy :)
[/quote]

I just got Bright Onion Pedals to build me a a small mixer pedal with an always on channel 1 and a Switchable channel 2 with volume knob. Works differently to the LS2 since that technically has whole loops rather than single channels. Depends on your pedalboard layout which style would work best for you.

It's the pedal on the right in this photo:

Edited by CameronJ

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1505498345' post='3372440']
Wouldn't that function the same as the LS2 in the mode "A+B mix" with just one of the loops in use as it will automatically blend it with the clean signal if nothing is added to the second loop?
[/quote]

I think so, yes. I just wanted a bit more simplicity so got this custom made.

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1505479078' post='3372229']
That Okto Nøjs is one fantastic sounding pedal! Thanks for putting it on the radar. Ive tried many octaves and currently using an OC2. I'm seriously gassing for a COG T65 after enjoying the T16! I like the idea of the dirty octave up as well as the loop. As I understand,I should be able to put my fuzz/OD in the loop and the octave will be clean underneath,instead of a fuzzed octave sound! (Please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm even thinking of selling the OC2 to fund one! That may be a bit hasty though :)
[/quote]

The loop in the T65 works exactly like that. the genius bit is you still have your clean bass volume and the loop volume. that way you can add something pokey like a rat pedal or more octave ups or both. then you have control over 4 signals...

sub octave channel
clean bass channel
effected bass channel
octave up channel

all at once. you are a 1 man army.

with the T70 you can do this twice. and have a sub soloed option.

COG for the win.

the KMA machines Moai Maea does 1 oct down and 2 oct down bass plus a great octave up. also has an fx loop. worth checking out too.

https://fxpedalrental.com/rent-pedals.html?octave_pitch=13

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1505774194' post='3374278']

The loop in the T65 works exactly like that. the genius bit is you still have your clean bass volume and the loop volume. that way you can add something pokey like a rat pedal or more octave ups or both. then you have control over 4 signals...

sub octave channel
clean bass channel
effected bass channel
octave up channel

all at once. you are a 1 man army.

with the T70 you can do this twice. and have a sub soloed option.

COG for the win.

the KMA machines Moai Maea does 1 oct down and 2 oct down bass plus a great octave up. also has an fx loop. worth checking out too.

https://fxpedalrental.com/rent-pedals.html?octave_pitch=13
[/quote]

cheers for that :)
Deffo have to have a T 65 and stick my Red ripper and Knightfall in its loop (maybe a phase 90) or even the OC2 with just Oct 2 on :)

Edited by lee650

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1505852777' post='3374825']
And as if the GAS wasn't enough, I've just seen this over on Talkbass: [url="https://youtu.be/3wZHFlIEn84"]https://youtu.be/3wZHFlIEn84[/url]

The Dedalo Byte! Made in Argentina.
[/quote]

well reminded, I had Dedalo on my list and totally forgot. Must chase one up.

[quote name='ordep' timestamp='1505912102' post='3375155']
my favorites are:

for solo'ed octave down: OC2 (sounds fatter than the clones)
for Subs: Solo'ed Octave down on the Eventide H9/pitchfactor. That thing is nasty.
[/quote]

Got to say I agree with you on the Eventide totally. Even compared to a Meatbox (Hi Cameron!) it still comes out on top for me. Used it for a dub section of a song my old band played and it would completely fill the room with molar-rattling sub frequencies. We tried to record the song and the microphones used didn't pick up the lowest notes!

That said in the realm of OC2 tones my favourite is the Octabvre mkii which conveniently has every 3leaf flavour of octaves in it, the increased volume and sub switch makes it the swiss army knife of OC2s, although with the exchange rate being as it is you really have to want that sort of sound!

For synthy sounds, the Iron Ether Subterranea is great. It has an octave down with filter, plus an octave down with three different waveforms (square, pulse, saw), and the same octave as your signal with the three different waveforms.

Having the same octave as the input is great - it means you can get a synth tone without playing an octave higher on your bass like other octavers. Combining the three signals plus clean blend can sound huge. I run an Iron Ether Oxide (gated fuzz) into mine to make it more snappy, into an Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe filter for a very flexible mini synth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-mcop5MFUo (not my video)

Having said that, I still love my OC2s...

Having had the COG T16 for just four weeks, I've come to [i]really[/i] like it, particularly for a blended clean octave down, where it tracks with a great analogue tone and minimal latency. Thought I'd keep my eye out for a COG T65 in the FS and managed to bag one, which arrived today.

[b]COG T65 and COG T16 A/B [/b]

- You immediately notice that the T16 is definitely MUCH smaller and takes up a bit less real estate on a pedal board, although the T16 doesn't give you as much space saving as might you think due to the T16's jack inputs being on the either side, whereas the T65 are more neatly all at one end.
- After quickly finding a setting on the T65 I liked, which was pretty similar to my favourite on the T16, they were actually pretty close in sound, which you'd expect from the same effects engine, right? But there seemed to be additional "heft" to the octave down from the T65, at the same volume, which I could "feel" (don't know if the additional "heft" point would still be noticeable on the new model T16s?)
- The "up" dial adds something extra to the tonal palette, for sure, in the T65
- The corollary is that the "clean octave" on the T16 is a touch cleaner than the T65, due to the presence of the dirty “up” in the T65 which doesn’t completely disappear even when dialled right down
- There are additional tonal combinations available on the T65 and the ability to include an effects loop will definitely be a plus for some.

Worth mentioning that the "up" on the T65 isn't an "octave up" as such and I think that it is slightly misleading to refer to it as such on the COG website, but I agree that it [i]"[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]is a bit dirty and helps add some presence back in to your sound when in a live band mix. It is by no means a clean reproduction of your sound an octave higher, and it isn't designed to be used as a standalone octave up on bass, but instead as an integrated part in this octave machine."[/size][/font][/i]

So if you're buying new, is the T65 worth the extra £30? As[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] a stand alone octaver [/font][/color][i]in isolation[/i][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] it undoubtedly has more versatility than the T16 and I get that the T65 costs more given its additional feature set[/color][/font]. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]However, in the context of having some excellent other pedals in the chain around it (e.g. dirt and synth) and me being unlikely to be making use of the effects loop feature in the T65 any time soon, I'm not convinced the T65 is adding much overall, in my case; and the clean octave down of the T16 seems to work particularly well in the mix with the rest of the pedal board. [/font][/color]

So I would turn it around and say I can see why the COG T16 justifies being only £30 less and it's definitely not a slam dunk decision on which of the two pedals is going to stay on my pedal board :)

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1507122907' post='3383460']
Yup and what's interesting is that for me, although I need the octave to get down that low sometimes, it's not necessarily the most important thing live in the moment. What is isn't that the pedal can't get that actual note but how it treats the signal when it can't reproduce. Something I really liked about the SubnUp full fat - and I've not tried the Mini live yet, is that in Poly mode, if it can't track the note the transition to a 'dry' signal is so much smoother than many pedals I've tried. Now it may just have been the TonePrint I was using or it's the algorithm, but I hardly ever got any warble or those annoying artefacts that you get with analogues.

Often people say that an analogue sounds warmer and the latency is less, but you know, I've got a way round that too and it's another reason why I prefer using this kinda pedal. I got the idea from parallel compression where it is possible to fool the ear that there is less compression than there actually is by mixing in the dry signal to take care of the initial attack. The compressed signal can have all of the attack removed entirely but your ear will still hear the impact of the first note. In terms of the Octaver, you know when there's latency when you hear a definite attack in the synthesised sound. So, in SubnUp there's no opportunity to remove the attack using compression, though it would be possible using a wet/dry pedal and a compressor I suppose, so the way I've done it is by masking the attack of the effect. Simply, your ear is more sensitive to high frequencies, so I've used the TonePrint EQ on the SnU to take the top end off the -1 Octave. As far down as 800Hz I think! Then I've added a low mid bump which creates the analogue warmth, or I've removed the very low subby end of things that accentuates the mids. Then, mix it just right and you get a really sweet octave sound which adds body, sounds warm but tracks like a beast!
[/quote]

Ok, dear dood (btw we spell that "dude" in the UK), here's the thing: someone has decided to swap me another delicious dinosaur pedal for my COG T65 and as I'd previously listed my lovely COG T16 (in anticipation of getting the T65) I recklessly promised a struggling bass player in Reading, with no money, my COG T16 for a senslessly low price (I guess I was feeling particularly generous 'cos our East End London pub landlord, where my two bands get regular paid gigs, offerred us a £30 a gig pay rise without us even asking and told us that was the "new going rate" - bless him!) and Reading bassist is busily trying to cobble together the cash by selling some of his other pedals, so I kinda feel duty bound to keep my promise to him (always a good thing to do in life, right?). So...that means I could shortly be without any octave pedal!

Now Cameron would historically have said get an Aggie Octamizer, but that would be the FOURTH Aggie pedal on my board and I'd end up being regarded as some sort of inadvertent Aggie groupie, which I'm not. But Cam's swapped his Aggie O for his COG T16 (so he clearly agrees with me that they are the biz!). Dannybuoy would probably recommend a 3Leaf Octavbre mini (which are a snip at £225). However you seem to have reached octaver nirvana with the TC Sub'n'Up:
- an octave pedal that tracks down to a low E and below;
- with the right Dood toneprint sounds as warm as the best analogue;
- can blend in clean;
- has minimal latency;
- costs just £109 new for the full fat and £98 for the mini.

So you've got me tempted! 3 Qs (and apologies I think you recently answered these elsewhere)
1. Can I get the Dood toneprint to work on the mini (I assume "yes" otherwise you wouldn't have bought the mini)?
2. Is there any point getting the full fat version (I assume "no" otherwise you wouldn't have bought the mini)?
3. How the heck can I get hold of the Dood toneprint and get it uploaded onto my Sub'n'up? Is this something you can upload onto a USB and send to me (and I'd cover your costs, including something for your time effort and IP?)

Edited by Al Krow

The Aggy is back on my main board! I was foolish to stray from my first love :lol:

As a side note, I've found that the solo octave tone on the Digitech Bass Synth Wah sounds [i]very[/i] Octamizer-esque but with all the benefits of digital, flawless tracking.

Edited by CameronJ

I put the Octabvre on the board for last night's jam... Considering I'm using it to fill out a layered octave down rather than as a synth effect, I'm now looking at the Aggie, EBS and the T16 v2. Aggie with its top jacks would slide in as a direct replacement!

£225 for one of those 3Leafs though?! I paid about £160 for mine new last year.

Agreed that the BSW has a killer octave down too, cheap as chips to boot.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1507230244' post='3384141']

Ok, dear dood (btw we spell that "dude" in the UK), here's the thing: someone has decided to swap me another delicious dinosaur pedal for my COG T65 and as I'd previously listed my lovely COG T16 (in anticipation of getting the T65) I recklessly promised a struggling bass player in Reading, with no money, my COG T16 for a senslessly low price (I guess I was feeling particularly generous 'cos our East End London pub landlord, where my two bands get regular paid gigs, offerred us a £30 a gig pay rise without us even asking and told us that was the "new going rate" - bless him!) and Reading bassist is busily trying to cobble together the cash by selling some of his other pedals, so I kinda feel duty bound to keep my promise to him (always a good thing to do in life, right?). So...that means I could shortly be without any octave pedal!

Now Cameron would historically have said get an Aggie Octamizer, but that would be the FOURTH Aggie pedal on my board and I'd end up being regarded as some sort of inadvertent Aggie groupie, which I'm not. But Cam's swapped his Aggie O for his COG T16 (so he clearly agrees with me that they are the biz!). Dannybuoy would probably recommend a 3Leaf Octavbre mini (which are a snip at £225). However you seem to have reached octaver nirvana with the TC Sub'n'Up:
- an octave pedal that tracks down to a low E and below;
- with the right Dood toneprint sounds as warm as the best analogue;
- can blend in clean;
- has minimal latency;
- costs just £109 new for the full fat and £98 for the mini.

So you've got me tempted! 3 Qs (and apologies I think you recently answered these elsewhere)
1. Can I get the Dood toneprint to work on the mini (I assume "yes" otherwise you wouldn't have bought the mini)?
2. Is there any point getting the full fat version (I assume "no" otherwise you wouldn't have bought the mini)?
3. How the heck can I get hold of the Dood toneprint and get it uploaded onto my Sub'n'up? Is this something you can upload onto a USB and send to me (and I'd cover your costs (including something for your time effort and IP?)
[/quote]

wow Al
you didn't keep that T65 long!! I absolutely love mine to bits (I even got rid of my beloved OC2 to get it-no regrets). What did you get in trade? I used to have an Aggie Octamiser and it had a fantastic tone,however I wasn't keen on its tracking. Id still have another though :)

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1507231589' post='3384156']
The Aggy is back on my main board! I was foolish to stray from my first love :lol: As a side note, I've found that the solo octave tone on the Digitech Bass Synth Wah sounds [i]very[/i] Octamizer-esque but with all the benefits of digital, flawless tracking.
[/quote]
[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1507232220' post='3384162']
I put the Octabvre on the board for last night's jam... Considering I'm using it to fill out a layered octave down rather than as a synth effect, I'm now looking at the Aggie, EBS and the T16 v2. Aggie with its top jacks would slide in as a direct replacement! £225 for one of those 3Leafs though?! I paid about £160 for mine new last year. Agreed that the BSW has a killer octave down too, cheap as chips to boot.
[/quote]

Guys! Just when I thought I was going to get a Dood enabled TC SnU mini...you've put the Digitech Bass Synth Wah into the mix!! I see there are a couple available on eBay but they seem to no longer be making these new and they have no successor product? So what happened to them?!

Can you get an excellent clean octave (with blended dry) + filter combination, which I can currently do with my COG T16 + Aggie FT, with the BSW by itself?

Lol! I need to keep a record of this exchange for when you come to sell me your 3Leaf next year, that you got it new for £160 and then I can buy it off you for £100 :)