Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

Which would it be? I'm looking to get an octave pedal, I don't use a lot of effects live but when messing around in guitar rig I'm finding a tendency to gravitate towards using an octave pedal. The stuff I play is kind of jazzy funk and an octave pedal would really suit it. Question is, which one? The Boss OC2 and OC3 get a lot of love but likewise so does the Aguilar Ocatmizer and the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. The list goes on and on.

Which pedal would you pick over all the others out there and why?

The help is as always much appreciated!

Depends what you want out of it - if you want to solo the octave sound and play higher up on the neck to get that keyboard synth sound, the Octabvre Mini is amazing. Just like the Boss OC-2 but more versatile and no volume drop.

For some reason though I don't like the sound of it as much in the role of adding smooth background sub bass to higher register playing. I had a COG T16 that sounded really good in this situation apart from the fact it didn't have enough output volume. I would like to try an Octamizer next, they are meant to get very subby like a Meatbox with the filter turned down!

Then you have digital octavers to look into, which I class as a different effect altogether. Never heard one that sounded good to me though.

I'm a confirmed OC-2 lover but I have recently switched to the COG T47. It's basically the OC-2 but better (IMO obviously) because you can boost the levels as well as cut, and the filter control allows you to control just how warbly and synthy the octave down gets (or doesn't get, if you prefer a cleaner almost digital sound). It also tracks better and lower (when you have the filter control set relatively clean). The deal breaker for me however was the fact that it's 2 pedals in one, so you can switch between different sounds without having to change the controls. I'll never sell my OC-2, but the T47 has replaced it on my board for all the reasons above.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

I'm a proper unashamed OC-2 fanboy, it's my Octave of choice. However, the closest modern equivalent you'll find is the COG stuff. If you have money for an octave, and aren't fussed about 'vintage' Boss pedals (which the OC-2 is now), then COG should always get your money! (I have a T-16)

Si

I have an old OC-2 which sounds great but can be finnicky with regards to tracking on an active bass. I also use a Foxrox Octron on my board, more flexibility than the OC-2 with octave up and down and tracks slightly better. My favourite however is the Mu-FX Octave Divider, so deep and fat sounding, the green ringer sounds like an awesome synthy fuzz and its the best tracking analogue octaver I've yet come across.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1489469463' post='3257140']
I've compared them side by side and the COG T16 sounds nothing like the Octabvre or OC-2. The Octabvre has way more midrange punch and is the better choice for soloed octave IMHO.
[/quote]

Really, I did a side by side comparison of the OC-2 & the T-16 and thought the COG got 95% there, closer than the Octabvre I thought.....plus what it could do with the rest of the filter, pretty versatile!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1489477161' post='3257167']

Really, I did a side by side comparison of the OC-2 & the T-16 and thought the COG got 95% there, closer than the Octabvre I thought.....plus what it could do with the rest of the filter, pretty versatile!

Si
[/quote]

Have to agree, the t70 set up like the 16 when listening in the room sounds pretty spot on to the oc-2 hate to say it but the oc-3 sounds pretty damned close. I only noticed a difference when I close mic'd the cab for recording

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I was looking at the Cog T-47 last night actually, there's a cool video of Scott Devine talking about it . I really like the idea of having the ability to switch between 2 different octave effects and the price is pretty similar to the MXR M288.

I had a T-16, I now have a T-65. What the COG octaves have that I love is a wide ranging filter (tone control) on the octave down. I've never owned an OC-2 and it's not high on my wish list but only because of the lack of a filter. I used to have a Pearl Octaver which was great and I wish I hadn't sold it now.

Well everyone's experiences, expectations, ears, rigs, etc are all different so take this with a pinch of salt, but expanding more on my experience comparing the COG T16 to the Octabvre Mini...

I got the T16 first, quite a while after stupidly getting rid of an OC-2 and a Pearl a few years ago. Fantastic build quality, tiny and looks awesome. Tracking is probably the best I've ever found in an octaver. Rolling down the filter all the way results in such low sub bass that you might not hear it well in weaker rigs; I preferred it around 10-11 o'clock to get it more audible. I had to max the volume of the octave voice though, and found it wasn't loud enough when soloed. Opening up the filter made it more raspy, but it still didn't have that hollow square wave like synth character of the OC-2.

I was after a decently loud and punchy soloed octave sound so got the Octabvre Mini in next after hearing the sound I wanted in clips. Immediately after hitting the first note I had the biggest grin and new the T16 would be headed out of the door. Instantly reminded me of the OC-2 tone I was struggling to get out of the COG. The COG sounded very smooth but this had so much more character - like "donk donk donk" instead of "mmm hmm hmm", if you catch my drift. It really punches you in the chest too, it has more going on the mids and seems less compressed with a more thumpy attack.

The filter knob on the Octabvre has less range though - I think it actually crossfades between OC-2 and Mutron voiced octaves rather than operating a filter like the COG and Aguilar pedals. I like it set to minimum. The downside of this pedal is that the actual octave sound is so in your face that it doesn't sound as cohesive as the COG when blended with clean, where a more subtle sounding voice works better.

One more thing, the Octabvre Mini apparently has the 'Tim tuning' built in, a feature which later came as a build option and later again as a toggle switch on the bigger Octabvre. There is a comparison vid online, but it results in a darker more bass heavy tone.

Check this video out - it perfectly shows how (if you listen with good speakers!) the Aguilar sounds so fat and all cohesive with the clean tone when blended, but a bit bland by itself; and the Octabvre sounds fat soloed but loses something when blended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQdg9tp--Bg

I think I need an Octamizer.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1489513134' post='3257579']
Check this video out - it perfectly shows how (if you listen with good speakers!) the Aguilar sounds so fat and all cohesive with the clean tone when blended, but a bit bland by itself; and the Octabvre sounds fat soloed but loses something when blended:

I think I need an Octamizer.
[/quote]

Cheers dude I'll check that out later when I'm on decent headphones. I tried the Aguilar Octamizer at the London Bass Guitar Show, had to go back for a second demo when it was quieter so I could hear it properly. The guys at Aguilar were really friendly and helpful and were more interested in trying to get you the right sound than sell you a pedal (goes a long way in my book). Needless to say the Octamizer is a very very well made piece of kit, which you'd expect from Aguilar. It's not too fancy and more focuses on doing one thing very very well, it sounded wonderful.

I've just been to Dawsons in Manchester this afternoon to A/B a couple of pedals. I have to say I'm really not a fan of the OC3, sorry to offend anyone! It just sounded a bit "meh" on the octave setting and the synth setting (or whatever it was) sounded like a broken overdrive pedal. The effect in itself was pretty cool but not that useable musically. The MXR M288 however... totally different league of pedal. Quite a bit dearer than the Boss but seriously good tone, I love the "Girth" knob and the thing tracks for days. Got a few more contenders to try out first but I think if nothing else blows me away we have a winner with the MXR.

I have a bunch of Octave pedals and have tried many more over the years.

My desert island octaver would be the EBS Octabass hands down.

It always surprises me to see that none of the bass players that I follow (Juan Alderete, Janek Gwizdala...) never mention it.

It tracks amazingly well when comparing it to my OC2,Octamizer or COG (which I also love) and the 3 voice switch really changes the character of the sound. I can go from a dubby/sub sound to a more punchy setting with the flick of the switch.

There are so many options out there...

I've got so much love for the Octamizer. The filter knob for the octave and the tone knob for the clean mix are really excellent. Together they give you so many options I don't think I'll ever sell mine! Might look into getting one or two different octaves for flavour though...a DOD meatbox is next on my list.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1489607757' post='3258381']
I'm hankering for a go on a Sub n Up. Has anyone got some experience with one they'd like to share?
[/quote]

I've had a few octave pedals and have settled on the Sub n Up. I only really use octave down so the Up and 2 Down settings are irrelevant, but I found the Sub n Up low tracking the best by a considerable distance. I had a COG T16 for a short while but the low tracking went haywire much too easily for my liking (which is probably to be expected in an analogue pedal). I know people often refer to 'latency' in digital pedals but to be honest I have no idea what they're on about - it's certainly not anything I've noticed with the S n U.

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe for me. Bought it a long time ago (2008-2009 probably) after trying some market competitors. I went for the MXR because it had (and has) a very natural sounding octave, not synthy, it's true-bypass, easy to dial in useable sounds, has blend, and it's been a working horse ever since.

Never tried COG or OCTAVBRE, but have since tried Aguilar, EBS and OC-2, etc. and i still prefer to keep my MXR in the pedalboard. It's cheap too :D

• Like 1

Prices for the four leading contenders on my shortlist: MXR M288 (Bass Octave Deluxe) (£159); EBS Octabass SE - analogue (£125); Aguilar Octamizer (£177); Cog T16 (£140)

Would love to hear an A/B of these three along the lines that Si did for the OC2 and T16 with a looped track? (Btw - really good YouTube clip, thanks Si).

I think the OC 2 has (sadly) been discontinued.

Been through all the reviews posted and have had to update my shortlist to the above based on the comments received.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1489842387' post='3260251']
Prices for three of the leading contenders on my shortlist: MXR M288 (Bass Octave Deluxe) (£159); EBS Octabass SE - analogue (£125); TC Sub n Up (£109).

Would love to hear an A/B of these three along the lines that Si did for the OC2 and T16 with a looped track? (Btw - really good YouTube clip, thanks Si).

I think the OC 2 has (sadly) been discontinued.
[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed it bud :)
Yeah the OC-2 has been discontinued for a long time, replaced by the, IMO not half as good, OC-3. So for those interested, it's a used one (I had 9 at one point lol, just 4 now). I also live in hope they'll do a Wazacraft OC-2 :)

Si

Been interesting reading. Doing some new stuff with a guy who's got a club/jazzy background and looking at having an octave effect to recreate some of his stuff. I'll be checking out the video clips later with headphones.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1489914595' post='3260697']
Been interesting reading. Doing some new stuff with a guy who's got a club/jazzy background and looking at having an octave effect to recreate some of his stuff. I'll be checking out the video clips later with headphones.
[/quote]

this might help aswell, as it shows the oc2 sounds they can be got for not alot of money at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCSdYOJybo&t=1s