Why become a member? ×

Question about my pedal setup and DIing!

Fisheth

Alright, so I'm having a mess about with my pedals as I want to take my JCM 800 to gigs instead of my Ashdown for a bit and I've ran into a problem.

The Marshall has no DI on the back, so I've decided to use my Sansamp for the DI part, now here's my set up so far.

Bass-> Korg Pitchblack-> Sansamp VT-> MXR Phase 90 -> Corona Mini

That's all well and good, but I'm using the Parallel output on my Sansamp to plug it into my amp and my FX's will be going into the chain after the Sansamp.

Will they A) Go through the PA rather than my amplifier (I'm assuming yes)

and B) the output on the Corona has nothing to connect to, as I'm not sure I'll ever need a quarter inch for that, however I still have a cable going into it. Will that mean the pedal will still work?

Edited by Fisheth

If I understand correctly bass into tuner into VT DI. Output to PA from XLR output. Amp connected to the parallel output. Phaser and chorus connected to the VTDI main jack output? Is that right? It seems to be what you're implying. If so, then the effects aren't in the signal chain at all and are doing nothing. Surely I've got that wrong?

The obvious signal chain would be... bass > tuner > phaser > chorus > VTDI. XLR out from VTDI to PA, choice of main jack out or parallel out to amp depending on whether you want the EQ and speaker sim from the VTDI going into your amp.

I keep rereading your post and thinking I can't be right but I can't make the signal chain description mean anything else... #perplexed

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1489356216' post='3256364']
Alright, so I'm having a mess about with my pedals as I want to take my JCM 800 to gigs instead of my Ashdown for a bit and I've ran into a problem.

The Marshall has no DI on the back, so I've decided to use my Sansamp for the DI part, now here's my set up so far.

Bass-> Korg Pitchblack-> Sansamp VT-> MXR Phase 90 -> Corona Mini

That's all well and good, but I'm using the Parallel output on my Sansamp to plug it into my amp and my FX's will be going into the chain after the Sansamp.

Will they A) Go through the PA rather than my amplifier (I'm assuming yes)

and B) the output on the Corona has nothing to connect to, as I'm not sure I'll ever need a quarter inch for that, however I still have a cable going into it. Will that mean the pedal will still work?
[/quote]

If there's nothing in the output of the chorus it won't work, those effects won't be in your setup.

You have ATM bass-vtdi-amp, then out of the sansamp into your effects but they dnt go to an am or di box, so will never affect the sound, put them in line before the di.

For me if you are taking the Jcm for tone I'd want it heard ie mic'd up rather than the more svt sounding di but then that's just me you could put a di box in the effects loop tho to at least get the pre amp, or grab a load box with a di radial do one of these.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1489395485' post='3256487']
If there's nothing in the output of the chorus it won't work, those effects won't be in your setup.

You have ATM bass-vtdi-amp, then out of the sansamp into your effects but they dnt go to an am or di box, so will never affect the sound, put them in line before the di.

For me if you are taking the Jcm for tone I'd want it heard ie mic'd up rather than the more svt sounding di but then that's just me you could put a di box in the effects loop tho to at least get the pre amp, or grab a load box with a di radial do one of these.
[/quote]

Interesting, thanks for the response! The amp has no FX loop! I'll have a look at the Radial box you mentioned.

Edited by Fisheth

[color=#222222]Adding in the Radial DI box to introduce an effects look into the signal path looks like a pretty over-engineered solution given that a slight re-ordering of your existing pedals and leads seems to solve the problem.[/color]

[color=#000000]Go [b]from[/b]…[/color]
[color=#000000]Bass-> Korg Pitchblack-> Sansamp VTDI-> MXR Phase 90 -> Corona Mini[/color]

[color=#000000][b]To[/b]…[/color]
[color=#000000]Bass-> Korg Pitchblack-> MXR Phase 90 -> Corona Mini -> Sansamp VTDI.[/color]

[color=#000000]Then use the VTDI XLR output to take the signal to the PA. Then use either 1) the parallel out to the amp if you DON’T want the EQ and drive settings on the VTDI to go through the amp or 2) the main jack output of the VTDI if you do. [/color]

[color=#000000]If there is an issue that you prefer to have an overdriven sound going into the modulation effects rather than modulation effects going into the overdrive then your set up would be…[/color]

[color=#000000]Bass-> Korg Pitchblack-> [i][NEW OVERDRIVE PEDAL TO GENERATE OD TONE][/i]-> MXR Phase 90 -> Corona Mini -> Sansamp VTDI ([i]set up with a low gain to act as an amp/speaker sim rather than an overdrive[/i]).[/color]

[color=#000000]Anything more than that seems like over complicating things for no particular reason or benefit.[/color]

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1489411638' post='3256654']
Adding in the Radial DI box to introduce an effects look into the signal path looks like a pretty over-engineered solution given that a slight re-ordering of your existing pedals and leads seems to solve the problem.

[color=#000000]Go [b]from[/b]…[/color]
[color=#000000]Bass-> Korg Pitchblack-> Sansamp VTDI-> MXR Phase 90 -> Corona Mini[/color]

[color=#000000][b]To[/b]…[/color]
[color=#000000]Bass-> Korg Pitchblack-> MXR Phase 90 -> Corona Mini -> Sansamp VTDI.[/color]

[color=#000000]Then use the VTDI XLR output to take the signal to the PA. Then use either 1) the parallel out to the amp if you DON’T want the EQ and drive settings on the VTDI to go through the amp or 2) the main jack output of the VTDI if you do. [/color]

[color=#000000]If there is an issue that you prefer to have an overdriven sound going into the modulation effects rather than modulation effects going into the overdrive then your set up would be…[/color]

[color=#000000]Bass-> Korg Pitchblack-> [i][NEW OVERDRIVE PEDAL TO GENERATE OD TONE][/i]-> MXR Phase 90 -> Corona Mini -> Sansamp VTDI ([i]set up with a low gain to act as an amp/speaker sim rather than an overdrive[/i]).[/color]

[color=#000000]Anything more than that seems like over complicating things for no particular reason or benefit.[/color]
[/quote]

not introducing an effects loop just a simple way of getting a di signal from the power amp of the jcm so no vtdi needed in the chain.

Hey, it's always best to use the gear you have.

But what's better than best? That's right, new gear. Many DI boxes will accept a speaker output. So if you bought something like the incredible [url="http://www.countryman.com/type-85-direct-box"]Countryman Type 85[/url] (or one of it's cheaper or more expensive competitors) you could put that in between the amp and the speaker. And then you'd sound awesome.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1489416346' post='3256712'] Hey, it's always best to use the gear you have. But what's better than best? That's right, new gear. Many DI boxes will accept a speaker output. So if you bought something like the incredible [url="http://www.countryman.com/type-85-direct-box"]Countryman Type 85[/url] (or one of it's cheaper or more expensive competitors) you could put that in between the amp and the speaker. And then you'd sound awesome. [/quote]

needs to be a load box not a di but this is what i was saying you'd get the sound of your jcm not the svt sim of the vtdi

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1489418344' post='3256729']
needs to be a load box not a di but this is what i was saying you'd get the sound of your jcm not the svt sim of the vtdi
[/quote]

If it's going between the amp and the cab you don't need a load as the cab will still be acting as one.

However check that the DI is capable of dealing with the current that a modern high-wattage bass amp is capable of producing at its speaker output. IME most of these devices are aimed at guitar amps with a 100W maximum rating.

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1489418344' post='3256729']
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1489419614' post='3256750']
If it's going between the amp and the cab you don't need a load as the cab will still be acting as one.

However check that the DI is capable of dealing with the current that a modern high-wattage bass amp is capable of producing at its speaker output. IME most of these devices are aimed at guitar amps with a 100W maximum rating.
[/quote]

Yes to both, no need for a load box or anything as the cab is still there. As for power ratings, I'm not sure how much faith I'd have in the [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_die_dibox_passiv.htm"]£8.50 Millenium DI that advertises speaker inputs[/url], but I trust Countryman when they spec that the Type 85 can take almost 3000W. Definitely agree with BigRedX, check first and use common sense. The Marshall can't be more than 100W? Radial (one of THE names in DI boxes) do a speaker box that is rated for 300W, there are many others too.

Edited by Jack