Why become a member? ×

Ever played a bass that made you think you played better?

Harryburke14

Yes!
My main bass is a Rickenbacker 4003 with flats I'm just so used to the feel and sound and how to work with it that I don't often even want for anything else. Played a Fender American Elite jazz bass recently and bloody hell! I don't often like jazz's, I usually don't like round and I don't usually like active basses but it just felt and sounded amazing!

My Medium scale Fbass. I am just an average player, but whenever I am fiddling with it at home thru headphones, soloing over chord progressions, for some reason I ocassionally stumble upon lines that make me smile. :-) tone and playability really adds to creativity.

It's both a natural thing and a psychological thing in my opinion.

The way I look at it is that with a higher quality instrument you're going to produce something that is of higher quality. If something is just easier to play, it suits you, it feels good to hold, the strings are just the right gauge, the action is at a height you're comfortable with then you're bound to be better, without a doubt.

As for the psychological thing; I've felt much more confident on basses that are aesthetically more pleasing. It's that feeling of knowing you look badass with what you're holding and that confidence is something that you can take and run with. I used to have a Peavey Millennium BXP, don't get me wrong it was a nice bass, looked good. A few years back I sold it and got an Ibanez SR 1605 and the difference I felt as a performer was unbelievable. I know this may come across as potentially sounding arrogant but when I hold that bass on stage I know that it's appreciated and what that does for me as a performer really makes the difference.

Edited by TonyCream