Why become a member? ×

Where have all the Squier VMPBTBs gone?

Tee

I know they are discontinued, but I've been looking around the internet and shops, to see if I can find a used 'Squier vintage modified precision bass TB' (the 3TSB one with the single neck humbucker), from few years back. I can't seem to find one anywhere? Were there not that many made? Squiers are often everywhere on the 2nd hand market.

Edited by Tee

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1489063344' post='3254051']
Yes, that's the one. I know they were discontinued a few years ago. Just wondering why there aren't many used ones about.
[/quote]

I guess either:

(1) they're great and most people who have them are holding onto them

or

(2) they're really not very good and very few sold.

I suspect it's more (1). Even as great basses they'll have sold quite small numbers next to standard P/Jazz models. If they're nice to play and not easily replaced then you've got a situation like that with the old Japanese stuff. Hard to justify moving it on when you're going to have a very difficult time ever getting one back.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1489067005' post='3254108']
I think all of the vintage modified precision basses have gone out of production now. I have a standard squier VM p bass i got off here which is great but according to web site they only do VM in jazz, PJ and fretless now.
[/quote]

I'm not sure the website shows the full range of models currently in production.

These have been serious issues with the Fender website for months and there are certainly current models missing from the Fender bass section of the site.

Edited by Cato

The VM Telecaster basses have been out of production for some time now.
Not sure about other basses in the VM series. I haven't seen so many recently. Although I have seen the VM P/J Precision - the price has shot up mind you. Not seen a VM Jazz for some time (at least, not new, in a guitar shop)

Re Squier's output - The Classic Vibe series have been absolutely stunning. Although the VM's are / have been great, the CV's are a couple of notches up again. My CV Fiesta Red P is absolutely amazing - these are now discontinued, as are the highly rated Matt Freeman P basses. The CV's and Freemans being made in a different factory in China to the new Affinity series. I've heard a few players, and guitar shop staff say that the CV's were actually "too good" i.e. too close in quality for Fenders' liking

EDIT: I meant to say, maybe the model in question didn't sell that many numbers when new? But if they were also good quality instruments - owners won't want to part with them. This in turn, becomes a circular argument; not many come up 2nd hand, so I'd better not sell mine, therefore, not many come up 2nd hand..... etc

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1489077439' post='3254230']
I had one for a while - they're really nice. And in fact I still have a neck from one - on the Surf Jag:
[/quote]

I've also used the neck on mine for a project bass. Great neck.

I still have the body wrapped up and stored safely.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1489131774' post='3254526']
They do occasionally turn up on gumtree. I keep toying with buying one to play upside down and have seen a few come up, the tb with the single humbucker has always appealed to me.
[/quote]

Funnily enough, when I used the neck off my VM PB TB for a project (as mentioned above), it was for a upside down body.

[URL=http://s712.photobucket.com/user/badgerpigdog/media/IMG_20170302_201342959.jpg.html][IMG]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww127/badgerpigdog/IMG_20170302_201342959.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1489164628' post='3254907']
One's appeared on Gumtree in Glasgow just within the hour. I just sold my CV 50s Precision with a view to buying a Telecaster, but now I'm considering spending it on a Telecaster Bass.
[/quote]

I had a look at that after reading your post. I think it looks cracking and £200 asking price seems fair?