Why become a member? ×

Small, simple, light head with good compressor. Ideas, please.

solo4652

Just got myself into a really good new band. Currently, I have a GK MB500. It's my only head, and so I'm going to need a back-up head. I've been told that my plucking and volume can be a bit variable, so this is a good chance to try an amp with a good compressor.

Shopping list:

Small and light, most probably class D.

Simple controls. I'm not a knob-twiddler, and I'm very easily distracted and confused by complex EQ's and stuff.

DI out

Good on-board compressor

Budget = £500 max

All suggestions gratefully received.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1489061779' post='3254028']
Great! Looks like it's a TC Electronic, then. I tend to favour a cleaner sound, so I'll look at BH550 or 800. No too sure about that Toneprint thingy, though.
[/quote]

It's ok you don't have to use it :rolleyes: There only seems to be £30 difference in pricing between the 550 and 800 at the moment... What cab(s) are you using?

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1489090334' post='3254365']
Cheapest online prices: Warwick LWA 500 for £299, or TC BH800 for £449 (BH550 is virtually the same price).

Is the TC BH800 worth the extra?
[/quote]
Well the extra you'll pay for the TC BH800 is because:

- 800w (300w more than the Warwick)
- you'll be able to use 2 toneprints (Digital effects) at once, this means you can have the compressor and maybe an overdrive loaded and running at the same time.

Having said that the price for the Warwick LWA 500 seem to be a pretty good deal.

Edited by Mcgiver69

I'm not too concerned about the Toneprint feature. I don't use any effects at all - completely dry signal. The extra 300W of the TC 800 might be useful to have up your sleeve, though. That said, my GKMB500 has always been plenty loud enough. And no - I don't want to use the MB500 with a seperate compressor pedal, thank you!

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1489093594' post='3254403']
I'm not too concerned about the Toneprint feature. I don't use any effects at all - completely dry signal. The extra 300W of the TC 800 might be useful to have up your sleeve, though. That said, my GKMB500 has always been plenty loud enough. And no - I don't want to use the MB500 with a seperate compressor pedal, thank you!
[/quote]

The Spectracomp 'is' a toneprint.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1489093594' post='3254403']
[/quote]

Then the best choice for you would be the Warwick, it's 500w with plenty of tone shaping and a compressor in a 1.5kg package. all that for £299 it's a steal.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1489054689' post='3253965']
Warwick LWA 500.
[/quote]

The compressor is very subtle, it gently flattens your signal without changing your tone.
I've got one and really enjoy its uncoloured tone. Your bass just sounds like your bass unlike some coloured amps.

• 3 weeks later...