Why become a member? ×

VIOLINS & VIOLAS

grandad

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They are a lot of fun to play, but definitely an idiosyncratic bass. the intonation can get a little "iffy" above the 12 th fret with that floating bridge piece. You can intonate the E and G accurately, but A and D will always be an approximation. Not the bass for high-register chordal work, that's for sure.  

The electronics are truly odd, don't know what they were thinking there, but once you surrender to the illogic of the setup, it sounds great. 

I've played all the variants, including the full-blown German Hofner, which is indeed a nice bass. It damn well better be at that price! i think they are wildly overpriced, with the diffence in amplified tone between the Contemporary, Ignition, and German Hofner being tiny, and bearing no relation to the price difference. 

My son has a Jay Turser Violin clone, and for the price ($220 USD a few years back) its a very nicely made little bass. They cut corners on the electronics and hardware, the tuners are cheap but serviceable, and the pots and jacks are crap, but easily swapped out for short money. It came with rounds, which is not where these basses shine. We put a set of Labella Deep Talking Flats on it a few years ago, instant Macca Thump. 

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/rogue-vb100-violin-bass-guitar/430598000015000?cntry=US&cur=USD&source=3WWRWXGS&gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6x_Gi3U4M6DrG19GBP7Fa6nUw20-VBB5GOcxQVC7MUlEs5jedftYIMhoCjLQQAvD_BwE

Edited by Gilmourisgod
  • Like 1

I believe that the Ignition models have MIC hardware but the HCT models have all German hardware. I can't fault the build quality of my HCT. 

But there again I can't fault the build quality of my other violin bass the Tanglewood RVB-2. Maybe I've been lucky. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...