Why become a member? ×

Anyone else experienced problems powering a Korg pitch black mini from a daisy chain power supply?

kingforaday

I replaced my pitch black with the mini version at rehearsal last week and got an odd 'ticking' noise when the pedal is off and a high pitch noise when the tuner is engaged. I figured it must have been something I'd hooked up wrong, in my hurry to get started but last night I arrived early and spent a bit of time dismantling my board, to try and make the issue go away.

When I take the daisy chain 9v out of the pitch black the noise goes away.
When I power it from it's own separate 9v supply the noise goes away.
When I switch back to the standard pitch black and use the same 9v daisy chain the noise goes away,

So.... Can these mini pitch black pedals just not run off a daisy chain or is there something else I'm missing here?

My board consists of:

Tuner - Compressor - VT Bass - effects loop/blend - [octave - fuzz].

(I'm not getting any issues with the rest of it but figured I'd mention it in case anyone spots a problem with the chain)

• 2 years later...

Hi, I realise this is ancient, but if anyone else has this issue, I'd like to hear from them. I've had a similar experience as the OP and it's really hacked me off. Korg are blaming my PSU (I've tried two) and said it might be an issue with the unit, but I've seen a few other folk complaining about similar.

Yay! I finally got a reply! Ha

yeah korg said “hmmm I guess some pedals don’t like being daisy chained” which although at the time seemed pretty unhelpful... it did point me to the solution. I was using a diago power station daisy chain... never had an issue until that one pedal. 

I bought a Harley Benton Power Plant Jr https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm and with it’s isolated power outputs the problem went away... I’ve subsequently purchased another couple of these power supplies (every time I see them 2nd hand and silly cheap) to use with other pedals/board setups and have had absolutely no issues. Highly recommended 

• Haha 1

I had the same issue with the PB Mini powered from a daisy chain - my soundman referred to it as Ming the Merciless because it was making an awful buzz through the FoH.

Annoyingly, when I switched to a Truetone CS6 I STILL had the same problem which panicked me a bit until I realised I was running it on the daisy chain output; as soon as I switched it to an isolated output it was fine and my two drive pedals don't mind the daisy.

• 1 year later...

I have the pitch black custom and when I use the 9v output to power my Keeley compressor it gives a high pitched sound which makes this “feature” unusable. The weird thing is that it’s been wired this way for months without problems yet today the noise started as soon as I turned on the pedalboard. I tried different cables etc but nothing helps. Very annoying.Im guessing that if I run it on batteries it will start drawing power as soon as an input jack is connected ( which is also annoying ).