Why become a member? ×

Singing & Playing Bass Guitar

blue

I love having a bit of a sing, my voice seems to work well with our lead vox so I try to do as much BV as possible. I've always found it reasonably straightforward, although I start getting problems when the two parts are rhythmically different.
The one thing I simply cannot do is [i]talk[/i] and play. Almost impossible.

yep talk and play is impossible for me glad i'm not the only one though my band mates seem to find it ok.
and i can only do backing vocals if its root notes and we only play one song that is like that, Use Somebody by Kings of Leon though when it gets to the bit that isnt roots im scuppered, and i dont do BV at gigs just in rehearsals.
Just assumed i was crap for not being able to do it as our drummer and guitarists seem to have no problem glad i'm not alone.

Edited by lowhand_mike

I can only manage football terrace oohs and aaahs with the occasional whoo hoo.
I'm full of admiration for bass players who can sing as well. My voice is dreadful too which doesn't help.
I do try singing harmonies along to the car stereo now as for the project I'm on at the momenty I would like to contribute. The more I do it the more I'm nearly in tune. I'm going to give iot a good go as it does lift a song.
Singing in a different rythym to what I'm playing just floors me. Not to mention times at gigs in the past when the BV's are required and I'm 6 feet away from the mic stand.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1489142855' post='3254678']
I think if I had to "simplify" the bass line so I could sing lead or BV I would drop the vocal part. My job, and what I enjoy most, is playing bass. I like singing but not to the extent I would compromise my playing.
[/quote]

I'm not the band leader and don't have that option. It's not about what I like.

I can be replaced fairly easily and financially I can't afford to lose my job.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1488997420' post='3253624']

Me too, I will simplify the bass line which allows me to sing.

Blue
[/quote]

This is my approach. I have dabbled with bv's but really wanted to concentrate on them when I joined my current band. I still struggle, but it is getting better. I like everyone struggle when the bass and melody differ more so in rythm than pitch.
The band have been kind enough to let me sing one of the songs in the set which I really enjoy (but honestly by the goo fighters) but not sure if it counts as there is no bass for half the song, then the rest is just basic root notes!!

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1488959322' post='3253174']
I'm glad to hear that about Phil Lynott, my band want to do one of his.
[/quote]

Lynott's vocal style is definitely behind the beat - have a good listen to "Do Anything You Wanna Do" or "Black Rose"

As a bass playing front man in a Thin Lizzy appreciation band all I can advise is that you know BOTH parts inside out, back to front and upside down otherwise once you start to think about the vocal line the bass line trips up or vice versa.

I could never remember the words at rehearsals, and had to rely on the old music stand, then mess up the music cos I was concentrating on getting the words right.

The best thing I found for remembering the words and the music was recording them separately, that way, you can concentrate on each part, with the benefit of learning them as you go. Worked for me anyway.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1488997588' post='3253626']
I've seen some of Mark's video clips. You might notice he's all over the bass, singing in perfect pitch and he's usually chewing gum.

As far as I can figure, Mark is actually from another planet.

Blue
[/quote]

He is. It's known as The Isle of White! It might be something to do with the limited gene pool. (That sounds unkind but I am only joking).

Hahahahahaha.

Like many on here it seems, I used to think I couldn't do BVs and play bass but then I found I could after some practice. It's always the rhythm that I need to practise, the harmonies aren't such a problem. With tricky ones, I slow it right down and approach it mathematically to pinpoint how the vocal rhythm fits into the bass rhythm. When you get it right, it's great fun. I much prefer the tracks I sing on.

I actually thought I was getting reasonably OK at this. Then at band rehearsal yesterday we tried to play this song...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdSqpT6gfDU[/media]

Back to the bloody drawing board :rolleyes: All hail Bruce Foxton

Except when he himself makes a bit of a mess of it: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktlq3-gNvk

Edited by Conan

I do lots of BV and usually write all lyrics and vocal parts too. I write the bass parts and vocal parts separately to ensure I don't "settle for convenience" and that does present the occasional challenge. For me - like others have also stated - getting the bass part in my muscle memory then frees up room to focus and breathe and hit the right notes (sort of :)...).

Lots of practise.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1489392782' post='3256469']
I actually thought I was getting reasonably OK at this. Then at band rehearsal yesterday we tried to play this song...

Except when he himself makes a bit of a mess of it: :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktlq3-gNvk[/media]
[/quote]I can handle this one (and The Beatles' Taxman strangely ;) ) but as soon as I start thinking about it I'm in trouble. A big point which has been made already is to learn both parts backwards and inside out!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1489392782' post='3256469']

[i]Except when he himself makes a bit of a mess of it:[/i] :D
[/quote]

Does he? I can hardly hear anything on these little laptop speakers. :happy:

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1488947474' post='3253139']
Singing and playing bass has always been a huge challenge for me. I'm getting better and the separation from my fingers and voice is getting a lot better.

I don't have a great voice, however my band has allowed me free reign with backing vocals. Because we gig a lot, I've had the opportunity to really work on this.

I still have a lot of room for improvement. I really like singing and being on the front line.

Any stories about singing and playing bass you guys care to share?

Blue
[/quote]

I cannot do it.

After reading this thread I put more effort in to my bv at rehearsal last week. I have done lead vocals and played guitar and sung before but that was hit and miss. It's strange because I can belt out a good vocal but singing softly while playing bass seems impossible. The band want me to do more cos the guitarist loves a bit of a sing but he really isn't very good and my bv is stronger and works better with the lead singer. I got advice ages ago to work separately from the band just me and the lead singer, ideally with a vocal coach, to practice bv and harmonies. It's great just having more voices in an amateur band but having quality bv takes you up a few notches, this is what we are aiming for but it's bloody tough!

Edited by uk_lefty

I think one issue is that the key of the song is usually set for the lead singer so may not suit the range of the backing vocalist. I definitely prefer a simpler bassline if singing but anything comes with practice. I know the limitations of my voice so I am never too shy in saying no if a song or key isn't right for me. Why sing if it doesn't add anything to the song?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1488947474' post='3253139']
Singing and playing bass has always been a huge challenge for me. I'm getting better and the separation from my fingers and voice is getting a lot better.

I don't have a great voice, however my band has allowed me free reign with backing vocals. Because we gig a lot, I've had the opportunity to really work on this.

I still have a lot of room for improvement. I really like singing and being on the front line.

Any stories about singing and playing bass you guys care to share?

Blue
[/quote]

Is that you in attachment Blue ? You certainly don't look your age sir. Well done. Must be all that good living :lol:
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1490430556' post='3265050']

Is that you in attachment Blue ? You certainly don't look your age sir. Well done. Must be all that good living :lol:
Dave
[/quote]

That pic was taken from a distance, I look no different than most 64 year old guys up close.

The nice thing about that pic is that early 2000s really cool Butterscotch MIJ Fender 1951 reissue Precision Bass.

But thanks all the same. I'll take a compliment anytine I can get one.

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm glad that the difficulty of singing whilst playing bass is a 'recognised' issue, although non-bass players do still throw in the old 'well Macca could do it' statement.

It is extremely frustrating that I can play and sing over some lines that may sound quite intricate/difficult, while other really simple bass lines create huge issues purely because of their timing.

I used to be in a 3 piece where I would share lead vocals with the guitarist and drummer. As per a previous post, if we chose a song to cover we would see who could sing it best with the least detriment to their playing.

There are many songs that I could happily sing lead vocal on, but I really do struggle singing BVs on some of those same songs. It's all down to the timing and I know that I need to practice, practice, practice before I get any better at it.

It's just a case of knowing the songs, IMO

If I ever learn a song (bass and vocals) and it's a song that I've always known well, it comes together almost immediately.

If it's one that I have to learn from scratch, takes ages :) but I always get it in the end, after a lot of practice. Thats all it takes, a lot of practice.

A good tip I might suggest, is to learn a load of old rock n roll songs; music and words. Normally straightforward playing and singing, just gets you used to playing and singing at the same time. Johnny B Goode, Round and Around, Shake Rattle and Roll etc