Why become a member? ×

Hip hop... there's actually a lot of good stuff!

mcnach

Bit of Cube.

http://youtu.be/h4UqMyldS7Q

http://youtu.be/WBGj19EgCDM

I was going to post some stuff from Guru's seminal Jazzmataz album,, particularly 'le bien, le mal' with French rapper MC Solaar, but the songs I wanted appear to have been taken off youtube.

Well worth checking out if you can find a copy or stream.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Bastav' timestamp='1488876573' post='3252483']
If you like busta rhymes check out his 90s group Leaders of the new school. Also juggaknots first album is very bass-tastic and one of the rappers has a very unique flow
Oh, and Artifacts first album. Great bassy boom-bap
[/quote]

Liking the Artifacts one, thanks!

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1488895089' post='3252718']
Give Hilltop Hoods a try - a crew from Australia with a very British sense of humour. Their best albums (IMHO) are, in chronological order:

The Hard Road
The Hard Road Restrung (rather than re-mixing the album the hired an orchestra - classical hip hop: genius! and makes Metallica's orchestral effort look rubbish)
State Of The Art (my personal favourite - check out Chris Farley, Parade Of The Dead and Fifty In Five)
Drinking From The Sun

a lot of good music, including a lot of double bass. Gone off the boil on their last one - far more bland R&B arrangements which is a bit dull
[/quote]

nice, some really cool stuff there!

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1488929391' post='3253088']
Also for more bonkers stuff have a look at Dr.Octagon (alias for Kool Keith) and Handsome Boy Modelling School (kool Keith's producer Dan the Automator)
[/quote]

cool, I found a couple of really good tracks from Dr Octagon already, must check him out more... thanks!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1488944664' post='3253136']
Im a little surprised at some peoples definition of Hip Hop.

Some great stuff though.

This is killer.. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8W6_grAI0Q[/media]
[/quote]

oh yes, funky!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1488984706' post='3253496']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MegK4YXKWzw[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-Sdq2EKrg[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZQQGX24Teg[/media]
[/quote]

nice one, cool bass lines too...

but... the last one... THAT bassline is something *I* was doing to one of my band's new songs... almost exactly! All I can think is that bassline must have been in my brain from hearing it at some point in the past and I believed it was my idea... damn.... that's annoying :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1489075540' post='3254209']
That 2-Pac dude had a lot of good stuff...
[/quote]

Golden age of Death Row records, when they had all the best producers/creators in the genre making tracks for their artists.

Speaking of which.

http://youtu.be/1plPyJdXKIY

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1489068251' post='3254130']nice one, cool bass lines too...
[/quote]

The first one, Kurtis Blow, is probably more Go-go than hip-hop. In fact the backing band (at least in the video) is the mighty Troublefunk B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1489141280' post='3254653']
The first one, Kurtis Blow, is probably more Go-go than hip-hop. In fact the backing band (at least in the video) is the mighty Troublefunk B)
[/quote]

That explains a lot! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Missed this thread before...

I wouldn't class myself as a huge hip-hop fan but the good stuff is absolutely immense.

Classic records worth checking out:

Nas - Illmatic*
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth*
Talib Kweli - Reflection Eternal*
Dan Le Sac / Scroobius Pip - Angles*
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Dr Dre - The Chronic
Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full*
De La Soul - Three Feet High And Rising*
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm*
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
NWA - Straight Outta Compton*

The ones with *s should be in every record collection IMO.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1488877768' post='3252499']
Then there's yer instrumental hip hop, topped by DJ Shadow. Entroducing is a modern classic.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiTE-Eyx18A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiTE-Eyx18A[/url]
[/quote]

No argument with that. It still sounds fresh now.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1490785885' post='3267926']
Missed this thread before...

I wouldn't class myself as a huge hip-hop fan but the good stuff is absolutely immense.

Classic records worth checking out:

Nas - Illmatic*
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth*
Talib Kweli - Reflection Eternal*
Dan Le Sac / Scroobius Pip - Angles*
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Dr Dre - The Chronic
Eric B and Rakim - Paid In Full*
De La Soul - Three Feet High And Rising*
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm*
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
NWA - Straight Outta Compton*

The ones with *s should be in every record collection IMO.
[/quote]

Fantastic!!!

I already have listened to a few of those but there's some there I never even heard of, thanks!
Spotify session coming soon :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1490801132' post='3268171']

Fantastic!!!

I already have listened to a few of those but there's some there I never even heard of, thanks!
Spotify session coming soon :)
[/quote]

Cool, enjoy. Some of those are a bit much for me (the full on gangsta stuff is a bit out of my comfort zone) but the majority of those would appear in most "best of the genre" lists which is why I suggested them.

My personal favourite out of that lot is probably the Gang Starr stuff. The MC is a guy called Guru who also released a record called Jazzmatazz which I think you'd like - it's basically a live jazz band with hip hop production and rapping.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1490805757' post='3268219']

Cool, enjoy. Some of those are a bit much for me (the full on gangsta stuff is a bit out of my comfort zone) but the majority of those would appear in most "best of the genre" lists which is why I suggested them.

My personal favourite out of that lot is probably the Gang Starr stuff. The MC is a guy called Guru who also released a record called Jazzmatazz which I think you'd like - it's basically a live jazz band with hip hop production and rapping.
[/quote]

I tried to post some stuff from the seminal first Jazzmatazz album but it's one of those that seems to have been blocked from Youtube.

Some of the later volumes are still available on there, but IMO they don't quite have the impact of the first.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1490805965' post='3268223']

I tried to post some stuff from the seminal first Jazzmatazz album but it's one of those that seems to have been blocked from Youtube.

Some of the later volumes are still available on there, but IMO they don't quite have the impact of the first.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that - Vol. 1 is by far the best.

Despite liking hip-hop one of the criticisms I'd have of it as a genre is that the number of artists who have consistently produced lots of great stuff is really small - for me it's at its best when the artists are doing something new, which is why Guru revisiting jazzmatazz a few times didn't really work for me. That said, Guru is responsible for a lot of other classics so maybe he's proving me wrong anyway :-D

There are a few albums that I would have to heartily second; Public Enemy, Dr. Octagon, DJ Shadow (and also Avalanches as far as the plunder-phonic instrumental thing goes) Dr. Dre and Ice Cube.

I cannot stress the importance of Wu Tang Clans 36 Chambers though. There is a reason that album took them from nothing to corporation-level big! Also the first batch of solo albums from GZA, Method Man and Raekwon and Ol' Dirty Bastard's two solo albums. At the time pretty unique production values that gave a unifying aesthetic and created a clan.

Slightly odder picks for me would be:

cLOUDDEAD
Dâlek

Just remembered, for the Netflix users amongst us there is a 4 part documentary on the history of hip hop from the very beginning up to the G-Funk explosion that is well worth your time. Covers the early big names and the guys that didn't break through so you get a taste of a diverse bunch of artists.