Why become a member? ×

Anyone with cash wanting a recording console?

timmo

I'm conflicted and not actually certain whether I should be getting moist over a console. It looks like something from a 50s sci-fi movie. Sure, it has [i]provenance[/i] but that doesn't mean if you plug The Dead Kennedys into it they're going to make Dark Side Of The Moon II.

My money is on the purchaser coming from the new rock money. Grohl. Billie-Joe.

I love that they're throwing in a vintage photo of Pink Floyd promoting DSOTM. Hardly, a pound of free sausage meat with every turkey, is it?

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1488541217' post='3249784']
Would it actually be technically as good as modern consoles anyway, I wonder?
[/quote]

There's a studio in Nottingham with a "vintage" analogue recording desk that used to belong to Iron Maiden.

It sounds good (although I'm sure a modern console that costs the same in real terms as this would have cost when new would be at least as good). What isn't so good is that parts of it keep breaking down. Every time we've used it, there are always a couple of channels that aren't working properly for various reasons, and recently it had to have nearly all the electrolytic capacitors replaced which apparently was not cheap.

Buying a recording console like the one in the OP isn't cheap even without the provenance and it will continue to need serious investment if the new owner wants to actually use it, as the electronics wear out and need to be replaced.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1488567810' post='3250176']
Should be on display in a museum - proper bit of rock history, that is.
[/quote]
I agree completely and luckily that's what it will be bought for (possibly not the museum bit unfortunately). Someone will treasure it for the history. What it does now compared to new kit is irrelevant, it won't be bought by a budding producer because they can't afford a new one.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1488582701' post='3250352']
Okay, that's a plan.

First, buy a garage...

:)
[/quote]

Here's one;

[attachment=239542:GarageStudioProject.png]
The host garage

[attachment=239543:GarageStudioProject1.png]
Partially built

The owner's photo diary is here -
[url="https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo-diaries-recording-studio-construction-projects/113696-garage-studio-project-photo-diary.html"]https://www.gearslut...hoto-diary.html[/url]

This project appears to have taken three years to get to a near usable state. The diary instalments stop in 2010 however. I hope divorce wasn't the reason.

Edited by SpondonBassed

• 2 months later...