Why become a member? ×

Worst Headstocks Ever

spectoremg

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1488560012' post='3250078']
The Bongo headstock needs to be taken in the context of the body design. Still doesn't make it pretty though, but it makes more sense.
[/quote]

Isn't that the bass with a body that looks like a slightly melted toilet seat from one of those fancy Japanese hotels? I guess having a bass body that looks like a crapper distracts from the headstock (and thanks Deep Thought, I too am now seeing Pepper Pig!). Still perhaps the most ugly bass to have ever been in mass production.

• Haha 1

[quote name='Ironbar' timestamp='1488819442' post='3252057']
I've never been a fan of the old Washburn B20 head stock.

[/quote]And the horror continues into the body. Also the G string hangs over the edge of the headstock. Very poor.

[attachment=239889:Washburn bass.jpg]

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1488833868' post='3252263']
And the horror continues into the body. Also the G string hangs over the edge of the headstock. Very poor.

[/quote]

I quite like that body but agree the headstock is a very poor design. That nut must of had a hard life!

Also this:

[URL=http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/paul_510/media/status-series-i-buzzard-bass-xl_zpsuwjrgcsz.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/paul_510/status-series-i-buzzard-bass-xl_zpsuwjrgcsz.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

In the context of the rest of the bass it works quite well. That's sh*t as well.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1488833868' post='3252263']
And the horror continues into the body. Also the G string hangs over the edge of the headstock. Very poor.

[/quote]
The D and G are wound the wrong way round, easy mistake to make.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1504886971' post='3368110']
Bit of thread revival. Dunno of the Sire Marcus Miller's in here already but it ain't half fugly.
[attachment=253168:Sire bass.jpg]
[/quote]

I discounted this highly praised bass for that sole reason!

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1504888806' post='3368125'] One from Fodera (http://www.fodera.com/imperial-mini-mg/ - Imperial Mini – MG): [/quote]

I wonder if that drop tuner (E to B was quoted) takes a single ball end string. That would be useful in the real world where there is little choice in DBE low-B strings.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1504954216' post='3368515']
I wonder if that drop tuner (E to B was quoted) takes a single ball end string. That would be useful in the real world where there is little choice in DBE low-B strings.
[/quote]
I'm guessing that it would - the detuner looks like a standard Hipshot type model with the main tuning key replaced by a rather ugly nut (couldn't they have capped it better??). The only question would be whether the grip at the bridge end would take a standard sized ball end - DBE strings (as you no doubt know...) have different balls either end, with the bridge ones for a Steinberger style bridge being a couple of mm larger across than the neck end. My concern would be that a smaller ball would slip - looking at photos of the bridge/body on the Fodera website it's kinda hard to see if they're using a different ball end. Though having said that... you'd be hard pressed to find a DBE B string that you could trim the headstock end off and still have enough string left to wrap round the post. So, they're either using custom sets (eeek), a standard B string, or I'm really overthinking this :D

Edited by anzoid