Why become a member? ×

J & D vs Harley Benton

BrunoBass

There's a lot of love on Basschat for Harley Benton basses, particularly their cheapo PB51, but what of J&D basses? Do they stack up against HB? Has anyone done a direct comparison?

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/jandd-yc-pb-4-string-bass-guitar-white--210979

Even the if the hardware is dodgy, £79 for a solid alder body makes this a great project bass.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

My J&D is my main bass and has been since i got it. I made a few mods (nothing major) but I gigged it the day it arrived.

OK, there are a few minor niggles, but at this price point it would be churlish to mention them! Great bass, not just "for the money" but I play mine in preference to my MIM Geddy Lee Jazz!

I have no experience with the HB basses though, so sorry - I can't comment on those. :blush:

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1488385160' post='3248498']
The Harley Jazz bass was/is !20 quid and weighs more than me. :swoon: Likewise the J&D I had. Probably pushing 11 lbs. Gear for music's P bass weighs about 7.5 lbs, I bought one.
[/quote]

That Jazz Bass now weighs a whole lot less

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1488390032' post='3248567']
Mate of mine has the J&D jazz bass. Said it had cheap hardware and a lousy fretjob. Once he'd sorted that out it was a nice bass.
[/quote]

There are a few slightly sharp fret ends, but I think it's a bit harsh to criticise the quality of the electronics and hardware in a bass costing just over a hundred quid. What exactly was he expecting? :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1488461106' post='3249141']
There are a few slightly sharp fret ends, but I think it's a bit harsh to criticise the quality of the electronics and hardware in a bass costing just over a hundred quid. What exactly was he expecting? :)
[/quote] His stable consists of Harley Bentons,Dean Evo , the J&D ,wee Ibanez Mikro, a Squier and an old Westone Thunder so I'd say he knows his affordable basses. He posted on another site about each bass,any mods and the work done to get it to his taste.The Squier came out worse.

Personally I'd buy a J&D anytime,based solely on the colours. Like you said Conan it's £100,be hard-pressed getting a refin for that.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1488390032' post='3248567']
Mate of mine has the J&D jazz bass. Said it had cheap hardware and a lousy fretjob. Once he'd sorted that out it was a nice bass.
[/quote]

mine also needed the fret ends filed a bit, no biggie... hardware was absolutely fine and I was ready to change the pickups when I bought it but I actually liked the stock ones so they stayed, despite being slightly microphonic. I played a few gigs with it and had a lovely sound. I loved the neck.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1488385160' post='3248498']
The Harley Jazz bass was/is !20 quid and weighs more than me. :swoon: Likewise the J&D I had. Probably pushing 11 lbs. Gear for music's P bass weighs about 7.5 lbs, I bought one.
[/quote]

Thanks Tom. I bought (sight unseen from eBay) an Encore P bass as a backup to my US Standard and the Encore is great, nice neck, good sound, but weighs a kilo or so more than the Fender.
Be very interested in a Precision copy that's light.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1488387966' post='3248541']

That Jazz Bass now weighs a whole lot less
[/quote]

That's good to know. I keep hearing about the weight of the HB Jazz so if the J&D version is significantly lighter that could be the clincher for me.

Can anyone who owns the J&D Jazz tell me if the headstock decal is under lacquer or screen printed (it's looks like it's under lacquer)?

If I get one I'd like to remove the decal, as it looks pants in my opinion, and leave the headstock plain.

Not owned either a HB or a J&D, but enough BC members seem to like both, and heck, they're very reasonably priced...

I must say, I do really like the look of the J&D Jazz, in surf green, with maple & blocks - looks amazing :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1493729953' post='3290193']
I must say, I do really like the look of the J&D Jazz, in surf green, with maple & blocks - looks amazing :)
[/quote]

That's what mine is - and I had the headstock sprayed to match. Looks great and often gets admiring comments! As far as I am aware, the original decal was under lacquer - but after painting I applied a "Fecker Jizz Bass" Fender-alike one. I know, it's not big, clever, or even particularly amusing - but it appeals to my infantile mind! :lol:

Edited by Conan

Fella in the States posted a photo of the Benton JB-75 he'd smashed up,has some mental issues and wasn't taking his meds.

Photo shows what appear to be carbon rods either side of the TR. If they are carbon rods then my guess is they're insurance against wobbly necks. The factory will be producing 100's if not 1000's of necks so rods make sense if a batch of improperly seasoned timber gets used. What do you folks think ? One's obviously the skunk stripe but what could the other be if not a carbon rod.
[attachment=244497:Benton graphite rods.JPG]

I'd imagine if rods are in Bentons then they'll be in J&D as well,same serial number system have been spotted on both HB and J&D.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1493735544' post='3290268']
Fella in the States posted a photo of the Benton JB-75 he'd smashed up,has some mental issues and wasn't taking his meds.

Photo shows what appear to be carbon rods either side of the TR. If they are carbon rods then my guess is they're insurance against wobbly necks. The factory will be producing 100's if not 1000's of necks so rods make sense if a batch of improperly seasoned timber gets used. What do you folks think ? One's obviously the skunk stripe but what could the other be if not a carbon rod.
[attachment=244497:Benton graphite rods.JPG]

I'd imagine if rods are in Bentons then they'll be in J&D as well,same serial number system have been spotted on both HB and J&D.
[/quote]

Interesting. I'm amazed they don't advertise the fact if it is true, as it would be a great sales point. There obviously is some sort of rod there. Might not be carbon though. Steel is the other obvious possibility. Is there a thread on TB about it then ?

The surf green J&D Jazz Bass I once owned was really great, I still have a bass with a J&D neck and pickups. The neck is a little chunky for my liking but that's just a personal thing.