Why become a member? ×

Now..Your First Gig Rig Rundowns

Low End Bee

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1488400519' post='3248706']
Where have all the Carlsboro amps gone?[/quote]

Good question. I've no idea where my Carlsbro head went. I must've sold it when I got my Trace gear back in the mid-90s. I do know that my 2x15 eventually just fell apart. I gigged with it for a while with gaffa tape holding one of the sides on, until it literally collapsed and died.

My Carlsbro was a nifty little grey-covered thing like this one:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-studio-equipment/carlsbro-150w-bass-amp-with-1x15-and-1x10-cab/1183186250

Edited by HengistPod

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1488488470' post='3249479']
...Bass?

Oh yeah - 1962 three color sunburst Precision bass. Carried it round in the fender cardboard box because the guy I bought it from couldn't afford the case at the time!
[/quote]

The first bass that I actually owned was a fretless Squier Jazz. That came in one of those tapered cardboard boxes. My transport then was a fully faired CX500 with detachable Krauser panniers. With one pannier off I was able to strap the guitar in its cardboard box against the pannier frame so that it was upright and "secure". The bottom of the box sat on the left hand silencer but never got to scorchio type temperatures. I used to rip through the Dublin traffic on the way to practice. Looking back it was just plain daft but no harm came to it. Hated the thing though and PXd it before I'd had it six months.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Christmas 1988, first gig ever at the sixth form room at our school ( when I was only a fourth former!)

Westone spectrum ST bass
Thru some carlsbro bass combo belonging to the drummers brother.

Probably rotosound strings

Edited by bassbiscuits

2006 was the year I finally got my own "prpoer" amp, I had already been playing bass for two years at that point!

Peavey International Series 4 string (my first bass, which I still own for sentimental reasons)
Laney R5 300w 2x10 combo
I think I was using Ernie Ball strings at the time
No pedals! :o

Very respectable setup for the £350 I paid for the lot.

I'm not sure what I'd class as my first gig... my school's music department were quite cool and put on a few shows each year. By the age of about 14 (around 1995), I was the most competent and willing bassist, so I played in most of those. I preferred guitar at the time, but was a far better bassist!

Gear wise, it would have been a school owned 'ZZ Top' branded P copy through a Gorilla 1 x 15 combo, or perhaps my Squier Strat through my Laney 30w, 1x12 combo.

My school also gave my first paid gig! A year after I left, they were putting on Grease, and the guy who was supposed to be playing simply wasn't good enough. I was asked at two weeks notice, and was payed the awesome sum of £50 for three shows! I used my own Tanglewood Rebel 4K. The drummer from my own band was still at school, and did the show too, so was quite enjoyable!

My first non-school related gig was with an originals band, Silent Haze at Strawberry Fields, Glasgow in late 1999. I used the same Tanglewood through a shared backline - I remember it being an Ampeg head & 2x10 cab. I didn't own my own bass amp at the time!

Edited by geoham

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1488367780' post='3248257']

How anyone can remember what bloody lead they used is quite beyond me!

[/quote]

Jack, look what I just found in my bass guitar case...

Although I will concede that this might not be my actual first ever gigging set up lead but a spare bought about 4 years later!

#imsosad

First gig rig: 1998

Westfield Precision bass copy - whatever strings came with it.
Trace Elliot GP7 SM300 1x15 combo.

Replaced the Westfield with a 1978(ish) Fender Precision in the summer of 1999. My set up didn't change after that until 2009.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1978 I think.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Junk shop Columbus Jazz which I "re-painted" through an Orange 120 head and a 2 X 15 vertically firing bin which I was allowed to borrow now and again. Couldn't hear a thing on stage but it was removing the paint and plaster out in the audience. [/font][/color]

Red/Black Tokai Hardpuncher P Bass into a Peavey TNT130 combo

We were a three piece (17,16 & 15) doing very bad Motörhead and cult covers and originals. We were terrible but thought we were future rock stars in training. The folly of youth ;)