Why become a member? ×

Buying from Gumtree online

lucky

So there's an amp I want on gumtree but it's in Norwich and I can't sort out a roadtrip to fetch it for at least 2 weeks. Seller offers delivery for £15 but that'd mean sending the money for an untested item to an unknown person with little guarantee. I could ask to pay via paypal but even with that I've still read a few horror stories on here about transactions going sideways

It's not also listed on ebay as some sometimes are, probably because of the fees. And if I'm averse to sending money online then I can't expect the seller to pull the ad while they wait for me to fetch it.

Any suggestions appreciated

Apologies if this is a duplicate question, I did a quick forum search and could see anything but if there's an existing thread someone could direct me to i'd appreciate that too

Read your own question: '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]that'd mean sending the money for an untested item to an unknown person with little guarantee'... be patient and wait to do it in person.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]On the other hand, your could test your alias and give it a go...[/font][/color]

I've emailed the seller to ask if there's another way to do it, or if he happens to be travelling in my direction anytime soon. Guess I'll have to wait and see if and what they reply.

Thanks for the offer Painy! I'll see what happens and let you know but could be great just to know the seller has a face and a functional amp!

[quote name='lucky' timestamp='1488221480' post='3246960']
I've emailed the seller to ask if there's another way to do it, or if he happens to be travelling in my direction anytime soon. Guess I'll have to wait and see if and what they reply.

Thanks for the offer Painy! I'll see what happens and let you know but could be great just to know the seller has a face and a functional amp!
[/quote]

you could ask Painy nicely to buy it on your behalf if you send him the money.?

I live in Edinburgh and ended up selling my Stratocaster, which I'd put on Gumtree, to somebody 470 miles away, down in Hove. I thought they were mad (but took their money anyway :) ). Personally I'd never buy something from gumtree unless it was face to face and in cold, hard, cash.

Edited by gjones

Bought a Peavey bass on gumtree,seller was 400 mile away. Asked on here and merton helped out. Couple of year before merton was buying an
amp 400 mile away myself and donny picked it up for him. Both times the cash just was transferred to collectors bank account.

Make use of the forum and the good folks on it :) Chances are you'll be helping one of us sometime.

+1 for using the forum.

A couple of years ago bagsie blue bought a bass from near me and I happily met him to deliver it after picking it up.

Norwich is a bit far for me to be of help at the moment but you never know who might offer assistance. :)

Had an reply from the seller, friendly polite email saying that we could use paypal, but that'd provide more security sending the money than recieving the amp, right? Also offered to facetime while he quickly demo's the amp which I thought was a nice gesture and would make me feel a little better that it works but still no guarantee it'd be sent. Would this change anyones mind?

i think if you did it via payapal (but not as a gift or friends and family tranaction as that voids any protection) you would probably be ok, however I personally would only collect an item near to me and rather wait for the opportunity to come up nearer to home, that said, Ive had no problem doing business on this forum in a way I wouldn't elsewhere!

[quote name='lucky' timestamp='1488228531' post='3247084']
Had an reply from the seller, friendly polite email saying that we could use paypal, but that'd provide more security sending the money than recieving the amp, right? Also offered to facetime while he quickly demo's the amp which I thought was a nice gesture and would make me feel a little better that it works but still no guarantee it'd be sent. Would this change anyones mind?
[/quote]

If it's normal paypal then if it does not arrive as described you get your money back.. But worth checking for your own peace of mind on the paypal website,,,

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1488229467' post='3247099']
that said, Ive had no problem doing business on this forum in a way I wouldn't elsewhere!
[/quote]

Yeah it's a great community on here, never had a bad transaction. And there's not many places that one person you've never met taking your money to go to the other person you've not mets house to buy something you've not seen would be considered a more secure transaction!

[quote name='lucky' timestamp='1488228531' post='3247084']
[/quote]

Sounds like the seller is being reasonable to me. Suppose it depends on the cost and so on, if it was over a hundred quid I'd wait for a local bargain myself, or find a few more reasons to travel the distance. A facetime call to demo and a well written description in PayPal when you transfer money should be good protection. I know there are odious ****s about but there are far more nice people just trying to buy and sell gear.

Actually done this myself about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Wanted a guitar for songwriting at home (heresy I know!) and found a lovely lefty Gibson SG in Scotland on Gumtree, I don't have a car and I'm based in Birmingham so going up there to get it was outta the question.
Sent the guy a message, a day later he sent me a load of extra photos I requested and gave me his facebook to message him and stuff.
Gut feeling was that the guy was sound but my head was telling me not to go through with it.

In the end I gave in to my gut, sent the guy the money and kinda left it up to the universe whether he would do me over or not. He didn't and now I've got a lovely new toy! Wahey!

So I guess there are some good eggs out there at least! :happy:

Edited by Sammers

I've done it twice. In both cases had long chats with the sellers and got a pretty good handle on them, obv any conman would be able to bluff and gut feeling isn't always right, but if people are generally open and answer multiple questions without hesitation, friend you on FB etc, they're much less likely to be bad apples