Why become a member? ×

National Insurance number requests by landlords

graham1945

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1488234793' post='3247173']
They need this for an online licence check code. This is fairly new since the paper part of a driving license became defunct.
[/quote]

You need to give permission to anyone checking your licence at DVLA. Garages can't access it unless written permission from the person.
How it should work is you go on-line and check and provide the gargae with a code that lasts for few weeks (i think) and they use that code to check your licence.
They should not be checking using your NI number. Only you should be doing that.

Dave

Giving out your NI number could lead to it being used for identity fraud. Especially if its left lying around pub offices for anyone to see.
If its proven you gave it out and it was used your bank might no cover any losses from your accounts.
I'd be very wary of anyone asking for this.

Dave

On the licence check code; you can only use it once IIRC, and it's only valid for 21 days.

On giving my NI number to a pub landlord, not on your f***ing life matey! Unless they're specifically included in the 'need to know' group they don't need to know. Simples. :) I rather suspect that this landlord's either got confused or been given a bum steer from above.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1488231089' post='3247128']
Out of interest, what could a potential unsavoury character actually do with my national insurance number?
[/quote]

Not a lot.

Every time you use your credit card to buy something over the phone, you're taking a far greater risk.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1488272119' post='3247322']
Giving out your NI number could lead to it being used for identity fraud. Especially if its left lying around pub offices for anyone to see.
If its proven you gave it out and it was used your bank might no cover any losses from your accounts.
I'd be very wary of anyone asking for this.

Dave
[/quote]
Agreed.
Also, unless you can satisfy yourself that the pub, or whatever organisation is asking, has a robust and approved system in place regarding data protection (your ni number) don't give it to them.

Having initially misinterpreted the title of the thread (and wondered why it was in General Discussion rather than Off Topic), I wonder if there is a similar misunderstanding here. I'd read it as being "!the landlord who rents me my home has asked for my NI number" which would be to do with new obligations for landlords to check that tenants have a legal right to live in the UK. The same thing broadly applies to employers, and one of the consequences is that companies are obliged to obtain a valid NI number for anybody that they wish to pay as an employee.

As others have said, bands are not employees of the pub (in theory the "band" should check that all of it's members are legally able to work in the UK before sharing out the fee) but it may be a simple misunderstanding that the new landlady thinks that she has these obligations.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1488463890' post='3249183']
Having initially misinterpreted the title of the thread (and wondered why it was in General Discussion rather than Off Topic), I wonder if there is a similar misunderstanding here. I'd read it as being "!the landlord who rents me my home has asked for my NI number" which would be to do with new obligations for landlords to check that tenants have a legal right to live in the UK. The same thing broadly applies to employers, and one of the consequences is that companies are obliged to obtain a valid NI number for anybody that they wish to pay as an employee.

As others have said, bands are not employees of the pub (in theory the "band" should check that all of it's members are legally able to work in the UK before sharing out the fee) but it may be a simple misunderstanding that the new landlady thinks that she has these obligations.
[/quote]
Good point. Another reason to ask the landlord/lady why they are asking for it.

Edited by graham1945

• 2 years later...

I'm a tenant of 20 years good standing but was recently contacted for my NI number.

They mentioned that as I get some benefits which will switch to universal credit eventually, they naticipate so me late payment issues. It seems that if the have your NI and you fall in to arrears, they can use itt to get an 'attachment of earnings order' and get a slice of your benefit money.

As there are issues with UC, landlords will often be paid late but they will be paid so I see no good reason for them to pester long standing tenants with a good payment history but this is why they want your NI number.

44 minutes ago, Andy7777777 said:

I'm a tenant of 20 years good standing but was recently contacted for my NI number.

They mentioned that as I get some benefits which will switch to universal credit eventually, they naticipate so me late payment issues. It seems that if the have your NI and you fall in to arrears, they can use itt to get an 'attachment of earnings order' and get a slice of your benefit money.

As there are issues with UC, landlords will often be paid late but they will be paid so I see no good reason for them to pester long standing tenants with a good payment history but this is why they want your NI number.

Think he meant the venue landlord where he was playing.

Dave

56 minutes ago, Andy7777777 said:

Apologies, this is also an issue with residential landlords which is what I assumed from the thread title.

No probs few people thought that. 

On your issue i would agree with @Bassfinger you shouldn't be giving out your NI number. There was a post on this thread earlier with a list of who will need to see your NI number. A Landlord is def not one of them. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I bought an Amp part from Markbass in Italy a few years back, and they refused to send it untill i disclosed my NI number, even though I'd paid them. Their accounts dept said it was no big deal and routine for security, their fiscal policy and processing. I've never had a problem since.

Edited by Tobe