Why become a member? ×

National Insurance number requests by landlords

graham1945

Got asked for this for the first time after playing for over fifty years. Is this a new thing? Anybody else experience this? I declare all my band income on my tax return, but I don't want to get involved in other band members' tax affairs.

Edited by graham1945

[quote name='graham1945' timestamp='1488211984' post='3246835']
Got asked for this for the first time after playing for over fifty years. Is this a new thing? Anybody else experience this? I declare all my band income on my tax return, but I don't want to get involved in other band members' tax affairs.
[/quote]

Who asked you for that? I'd be wary.

This is on the gov.uk site

[b] [i]"Who uses your National Insurance number[/i][/b]

[i]These organisations need to know what your number is:[/i][list]
[*][i]HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)[/i]
[*][i]your employer[/i]
[*][i]the Department for Work and Pensions (which includes Jobcentre Plus and the Pension, Disability and Carers Service), if you claim state benefits, or in Northern Ireland the Department for Social Development[/i]
[*][i]your local council, if you claim Housing Benefit, or the Northern Ireland Housing Executive[/i]
[*][i]Electoral Registration Officers (to check your identity when you register to vote)[/i]
[*][i]the Student Loan Company, if you apply for a student loan[/i]
[*][i]your pension provider if you have a personal or stakeholder pension[/i]
[*][i]your Individual Savings Account (ISA) provider, if you open an ISA[/i]
[*][i]your financial services provider, if you have investments such as shares or bonds[/i]
[/list]
[i]To prevent identity fraud, keep your National Insurance number safe. Don’t share it with anyone who doesn’t need it."[/i]

If they're your employer you get holiday and pension contributions....

Here's the link [url="https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/your-national-insurance-number"]https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/your-national-insurance-number[/url]

Edited by Low End Bee
  • Like 1

If they ask for your NI number, ask them about the Work Place Pension.

A Pub Landlord doesn't need to know about you or your bands NI details.

He's employing you as a Sub-Contractor to provide musical services to entertain the punters. As a Sub-Contractor, he pays you direct, and it's up to you to declare your income from providing your services.

• Like 4

In the past I have known of landlords being given an entertainment allowance for bands by the brewery/parent company of say £200 a week and only paid bands £100-150 of it and kept the rest.
A place asking for name and address may just be a way of the parent company checking that the money has made its way to the band and not to the landlords pocket?

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1488221715' post='3246965']
yup, sounds like arse covering going on..
[/quote]

"Arse covering" - is that like wallpapering a buttock or is the landlord expecting a cover of "Arse", that classic tune from Geddy and the Glutes?

Edited by SpondonBassed

Guest Jecklin

The Landlord may be getting confused with a self employment UTR (unique tax reference).

A great deal of my freelance work for educational institutions started asking for it on Invoices so I just include it as standard now.

Basically to have a UTR means you are registered as self employed, the implication being if the landlord has invoices from performers with UTRs on them it doesn't look like he's made up a load of dodge invoices to launder money.

Get him to clarify.

[quote name='graham1945' timestamp='1488211984' post='3246835']
[/quote]

Did you ask the landlord why they wanted this?

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1488224718' post='3247015']

Did you ask the landlord why they wanted this?
[/quote]

No, we were taken by surprise really. Having read all of the above we will now be able to discuss it.
Thanks all.

Edited by graham1945

I've got the odd client that have requested my UTR, and something on paper from HMRC confirming my self employed status. Most notably large national chain of venues that I do some freelance teching for who'd (so I was told) recently had the taxman give their books a good going over.

Never given anyone my NI number in a work related capacity like that. As said above, there's no reason for it and nothing they can do with it.

Taking my wife's MINI in for a service at a main dealer and getting a courtesy car in return this Thursday and they have asked for my NI number. As we never usually use main dealers I've never encountered this before. Not a big problem but just never needed to before.

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1488231497' post='3247131']
Taking my wife's MINI in for a service at a main dealer and getting a courtesy car in return this Thursday and they have asked for my NI number. As we never usually use main dealers I've never encountered this before. Not a big problem but just never needed to before.
[/quote]

They need this for an online licence check code. This is fairly new since the paper part of a driving license became defunct.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1488234793' post='3247173']

They need this for an online licence check code. This is fairly new since the paper part of a driving license became defunct.
[/quote]

That's not their job though is it? You are supposed to do it and give them the temporary access code.

I suspect in that case it's so you can do it on their computer if you haven't bought the code with you?