Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar 500

karlfer

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1488229878' post='3247104']
What's with these alternative watts?!

And from once respectable brands, no less. :(
[/quote]

There are a couple of ways to look at this - the concept that "tube" watts are perceived as being bigger than solid state watts... TC make a good case for their APM being "like" a tube amp, but it's annoying that it took a while to get the info out of them... Partly it's our fault as we simply look at the number of watts (thankfully RMS) an amp produces as the main thing.. From what I hear the Reidmars are considered pretty loud regardless..

I guess you have a point. However, I'm more than slightly miffed at some of the big brands when they, ahem, seem to be implying what they're implying.

It's hard enough to extrapolate what'll work in a live context, even without these semi-fudged numbers...

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1488232654' post='3247143']
I guess you have a point. However, I'm more than slightly miffed at some of the big brands when they, ahem, seem to be implying what they're implying.

It's hard enough to extrapolate what'll work in a live context, even without these semi-fudged numbers...
[/quote]

I have "real watts" amps (thunderfunk TF750A and a Glockenklang Heart Rock2) and a TC RH750.. The RH750 is plenty loud enough..... As loud in perceived terms as the Mesa Prodigy Four:88 I had.. The Class A/B amps have more "thud" than the RH though.

I've used TC gear for years and I've loved most of it, but it still feels a bit underhand to inflate the numbers like that. Some of their marketing strategies are starting to affect how I feel about the brand.

At one point I was interested in the Reidmar (before the 750 arrived), but ultimately I concluded it didn't have the power I needed. I have no idea why, but for a brief moment I thought the Reidmar 500 would provide 500 actual watts. (Loudness notwithstanding :P)

Edited by Danuman

One of these days I will write a thread on watts and amplifier classes and valves V SS. I need to get fit including taking lots of Vitamin D ( and in the interest of fairness Vitamins A, B and A/B). On a serious note I need to be in the right frame of mind as I know it will generate lots of ill-informed flack.

Yup, I'm confused, as my Reidmar 250 produces 250 watts at 4 ohm..and yes it IS feckin loud, I got it as backup to my Eden WT400, which it blew into the weeds!

Looking at the specs it seems to me they have just re badged mine as a 500.....poor show!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1488442342' post='3248913']
Yup, I'm confused, as my Reidmar 250 produces 250 watts at 4 ohm..and yes it IS feckin loud, I got it as backup to my Eden WT400, which it blew into the weeds!

Looking at the specs it seems to me they have just re badged mine as a 500.....poor show!
[/quote]

Exactly

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1488412404' post='3248820']I need to be in the right frame of mind as I know it will generate lots of ill-informed flack.
[/quote]

Ill-informed flak? On Basschat?!?! :o Surely not.... :mellow:

• 2 months later...

[i][color=#231F20]"With two amps together, connected through the Effects loop (Send from one to Return on the other), you can drive two 4 ohm cabinets, getting a separate volume control for each cabinet while using the EQ from the one you plug in to"[/color][/i]

[color=#231F20] [/color][color=#231F20] :blink:[/color]
[color=#231F20]What an odd suggestion! Why would anyone wish to do such a thing? [/color]

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1494573387' post='3297012']
[i][color=#231F20]"With two amps together, connected through the Effects loop (Send from one to Return on the other), you can drive two 4 ohm cabinets, getting a separate volume control for each cabinet while using the EQ from the one you plug in to"[/color][/i]

[color=#231F20] [/color][color=#231F20] :blink:[/color]
[color=#231F20]What an odd suggestion! Why would anyone wish to do such a thing? [/color]
[/quote]

Stereo

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1494573387' post='3297012']

[color=#231F20] :blink:[/color]
[/quote]

If you are an EBS cab owner and already have 2 of their 4 ohm cabs. Separate volume - I guess it's so you can balance the volume output between two different configurations of cab.

Would hardly say it's a marketing point to be made though. I think EBS have lost the plot compared to what they once were.