Why become a member? ×

Kindle apps

yorick

I assume this is the new Amazon version of an Ipad rather than the E-reader Kindle?

Do you happen to know what software it runs on; is it an Android or does it use bespoke software? I android I would recommend Chord-Bot lite as a free and simple app that allows you to set up backing tracks/loops for practice.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1487939569' post='3244351']
I assume this is the new Amazon version of an Ipad rather than the E-reader Kindle?

Do you happen to know what software it runs on; is it an Android or does it use bespoke software?
[/quote]

The software is a bespoke version of Android, which seriously limits the amount of apps available for the device.

It is apparently possible to get it to run standard android apps, but it's a bit of a faff.

I've got one of the earlier Fire models, which I only use as a portable TV these days, after getting frustrated with the lack of apps and buying a full blooded android tablet for everything else.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1487939569' post='3244351']

Do you happen to know what software it runs on; is it an Android or does it use bespoke software? I android I would recommend Chord-Bot lite as a free and simple app that allows you to set up backing tracks/loops for practice.
[/quote]

It's a Kindle Fire, so no idea on software!!!

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1487952604' post='3244535']
It's a Kindle Fire, so no idea on software!!!
[/quote]

From what I can see it uses a special OS which, while based around Android is not quite the same. It is worth noting that you can actually install Android on it, if you wanted to go down that route. You'd lose any special Kindle features, but would gain access to the full PLAY store and the various apps on offer.

There is a guide to how you can go about doing this (in a way that is reversable if you don't like the results) here: [url="http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Android-on-Kindle-Fire"]http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Android-on-Kindle-Fire[/url]

Edited by Naetharu