Why become a member? ×

Anyone bought a bass from Cash Converters website?

Harryburke14

Hi all, me again,

So after putting up an "items wanted" ad, our very own Outsider70 pointed me in the direction of Cash Converters who have the exact bass I want at a very reasonable price. However, the bass is in Tyneside and I'm in Birmingham, so it would have to be shipped.

Anyone have any experience of doing this? I really want this bass but am worried that it would be damaged in transit, as it is a Thunderbird and they have something of a reputation for damage during transport.

Just had a look. They can't even spell it correctly so that tells you something. I bought a telecaster online from CC which was a good guitar but had obviously come straight from a smackheads layer into the shop and then to me without any attempt to prepare it for sale i.e. clean it! It was disgusting. Don't let that put you off though, just be aware that they get stuff in and get it out asap. Bargains can be had...

I've had a couple of things from their main competitor, Cash Generator - a drum machine by post on eBay, and an audio interface from their local branch. In both cases I got about 10% off the asking price, one by making a 'best offer', the other by pulling out cash.

So yes, definitely bargains to be had.

Edited by JapanAxe

Harry . Bought twice from CC. 1st was left propped outside my front door. Bass shaped object,made from miles of black bags and tape marked "fragile".
Bass was unscathed but I lived ground floor in a close with no locked entrance. Folk would nip in off the street for a piss.

Courier was at fault but I complained to CC anyway. Got email and letter apologising and saying they'd dropped the courier. City Link went bust couple of month later.

2nd time was last month. Reminded them about the last time and they said "it's OK,we use Parcelforce". Came home to find a large box wrapped in bin bags outside the door. Again no security entrance. Again courier at fault.

No problems from CC,both basses were as advertised and reasonably well packed.Second one was better,waterproof wrap -cardboard box - buublewrapped bass. It's just the bloody couriers.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1487880852' post='3243904']
I've bought a Cort bass from Cash Converters. It was shipped wrapped up in a bin bag. No extra padding beyond, I think, a single layer of bubble wrap. Because it was sold as used with finish marks, it is impossible to say what dings and dents were picked up on the road.

I also bought a used Harley Benton Tele from Ebay, and I'm 99% sure it was the same outfit. Tele arrived in a bin bag as well!
[/quote]

I bought a bass off here and it arrived in a thick bin bag. Anyone could tell it was an instrument inside. The condition it arrived in was as described in the ad. Made me think that it was treated with more respect as the courier 'knew' what it was?

I've also bought a bass from CC or CG. Sorry cant remember which one.

Like others have stated, it may as well have been wrapped in tissue paper when you see the amount of effort their packing dept put in to actually packing.

When I say ' packing ' i'm actually doing stand up comedy

Edited by fleabag

Bought a Hohner Jack from CC once - wouldn't buy from them again. Packaging was ok - at least it came in a box, but not much in the way of packaging materials inside. Bass wasn't really as described but good enough that I didn't send it back (though probably should have done).

I bought a guitar from their website last year since it was what I wanted at a surprisingly reasonable price. But I wasn't sure about the colour since the shade looked a little off, and I had the same slightly negative view of CC as most do, so I emailed about it, The woman who replied from the shop was very helpful, sent more pics and answered my questions, provided the serial number (which all checked out with fender and no google hits saying it had been stolen) and told me how it would be shipped. I bought it and 2 days later there was a courier at the door with a perfectly lovely guitar in a practically new gator hardcase (which the ad had mentioned)

Also bought a Warwick from there a few years back but that was all in store- needed a clean and new strings and after playing it discovered that the active circuit was buggered but I don't use active 'lectrics so wasn't an issue for me. They had a gigbag in the shop so just popped it in that and included it with the price

I think the quality of what you get depends far more on whoever took it into the shop than CC themselves, guitars are just like any other piece of stock to them. And how well wrapped/shipped depends one the individual in the shop and if they have a guitar case/carry bag lying around they can send it in (maybe worth an ask?) but overall nothing to complain about in my experience

Edited by lucky

have you already pulled the trigger on this? i had a look on their website but couldn't see an epiphone (if that's what you're still after), if its still available then it won't be a million miles from me, might be able to act as a middle man, if it's the newcastle branch then they have been known to knock money off in the store, easy enough to pack it up and send it down to you.

Matt

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1487880608' post='3243901']
Just had a look. They can't even spell it correctly so that tells you something. I bought a telecaster online from CC which was a good guitar but had obviously come straight from a smackheads layer into the shop and then to me without any attempt to prepare it for sale i.e. clean it! It was disgusting. Don't let that put you off though, just be aware that they get stuff in and get it out asap. Bargains can be had...
[/quote]

Um, did you know that you can't spell "lair"?

Just pulling your leg, heeheehee.