Why become a member? ×

So, what do you think brought you to the bass?

Dazed

Late 1980's. Everyone else in my first band (covers) had their roles - and nobody wanted to be the Bass player ... where have you heard that before? I couldn't afford to buy a Bass until a couple of years' later, so I played Bass parts on a synth. 1990 and here's my first Bass and combo!

Sounds kind of daft but I found playing guitar on Rock Band too difficult so found my way to the bass just to play the game. Hadn't really listened to the bass lines of songs before, or didn't realise what I was listening to was the bass line until this time. After that started to pick out the bass more and more in songs, especially I recall whilst on holiday in Cyprus listening to my iPod by the pool. Decided when I got home I'd buy a cheap bass and take lessons. Four years on, I can't get enough!!

There was a point in my life (late 80's/early 90's) when I was hearing music like there was no tommorrow - I had to do something about it - I had to be a part of it!

Some of my friends started playing guitar, but I was attracted to bass - Santa Cruz skate movies (now classic) were a very huge influence, due to bands like these

[media]http://youtu.be/VSv8FVJtbAk[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/ZEdMKPztNgo[/media]

Edited by Stance

When I was getting into music on my own, as opposed to the records my parents played, it was the very late 70s / very early 80s, when a lot of the pop music of the time had a strong Jamaican influence (The Clash, 2 Tone, The Police etc) with prominent basslines. I'd hear this stuff at the school discos I attended at high volume with big bass bins and I just sucked me in. Likewise the funk and disco tunes they'd play. That and seeing a picture of Paul Simonon, legs apart with a low slung white Precision bass, and that was me sold.

I learned guitar first though, as I could afford a second hand acoustic on paper round money. I didn't get a bass and amp until I'd left school and was earning a weekly wage at 17.

Me and my mates wanted to start a band when we were 12 years old: one guy's older brother already had a drum kit, the other guy already had a guitar, so I volunteered to play bass. My dad bought me a Hondo Rickenfaker and a Park combo to start with. Gawd bless 'im!

[quote name='skb558' timestamp='1488232415' post='3247140']
Martin Turner, Wishbone Ash on their eponymous first album. Loved the twin lead guitars too but the melodic bass playing stuck in my head.
[/quote]

Saw him last year , great set

For me i was drawn to bass ever since I can remember hearing music