Why become a member? ×

So, what do you think brought you to the bass?

Dazed

I taught myself to play guitar using the Tune A Day book and my sisters Spanish/Classical acoustic with nylon strings.

For my 16th birthday I got a very 2nd hand Vox semi-acoustic and "jammed" with some mates then after working a Saturday job I saved up and bought a shiny new Joodee Les Paul copy (from Minns Music in Nottingham) and a crappy old amp off my mates brother.

As a spotty 16/17 year old I played guitar in a band with some mates from school. After that fizzled out the bass player said that he fancied playing guitar and I was interested in playing bass so we just swapped our gear over. I got an unnamed P-Bass copy in a very sparkly metal flake finish and a Laney keyboard amp. That would have been in 1984 and I'm still playing bass (and occasional guitar).

I didnt belive i could be a good guitarist,so i could play bass.But the first time i plug the E string..O!MY!GOD!!!
Dat phat bass..pfew..i almost pee my self..And there is more..a few months later,i plug this B string..are you kidin me?poeple should not use drugs..they should play bass.

I'm 18, long hair, leather jacket, spend all my time listening to music, reading about bands, going to gigs. All my mates play guitars (some very well...some less so). If I get a bass I will instantly be able to join a band...

That's pretty much how my musical career has developed ever since - "oh yeah, Steve plays bass, let's get him to do it"

I've only been playing Bass since December last year. But before this I'd played guitar for around 10 years. I was in an originals band, and I always tended to play using octaves and fills, which I didn't really think much of, it's just what sounded good to me and made us sound a bit different. anyway, I seen my uncle play bass, he's a big Mark King fan, so he's slapping like crazy and it just spoke to me more. For the next few years I'd dabble here and there whenever I had a chance to pick up a Bass.

I left the band I was in and haven't played outside the house in about 4 years. I'd play guitar now and again and mess around, until I got a visit from a mate who's old cover band were starting back up, and he asked me to play bass. Once I started listening properly for the bass, I fell in love with that low end groove, and I've been hooked ever since. I already play bass so much better than I ever played guitar, and apparently blew the rest of the bands mind when I showed up for the first rehearsal, and I've never had that reaction playing a guitar.

I played guitar from mid teens to early 20s, largely jams and bands at school then uni. Left uni, life changed, stopped playing. Fast forward to my late 40s, mid life crisis alert. In the interim I had started to listen to music differently and decided I would learn to play bass guitar. Had my first gig at 50, nearly 10 years ago now, and it felt like a small piece of me that had been missing all those years was finally back in place. I would never have imagined finding myself in two of the most rewarding bands and count my blessings each day. After such a long hiatus I still feel enthusiastic, I still feel the hunger to go out, I still feel it is fresh. Just love it :)

[quote name='Saved' timestamp='1487934424' post='3244267']
I didnt belive i could be a good guitarist,so i could play bass.But the first time i plug the E string..O!MY!GOD!!!
Dat phat bass..pfew..i almost pee my self..And there is more..a few months later,i plug this B string..are you kidin me?poeple should not use drugs..they should play bass.
[/quote]

I like your style. I may quote you on that. It's golden.

I thought it would help me get a girlfriend so I bought a shiny red bass (girls like shiny things, right?) and a few months later I got my first girlfriend.
Coincidence??!!!
Probably. But she stayed with me for three years and that was enough to convince me that bass was cool and sexy.
27 years later and I'm still convinced.

Me? I was a big Rush, Sabbath Purple & Hawkwind/Motorhead fan (driving bass lines).

Spent many years playing bass, took some time out, took up playing guitar (wanted to form a band, met a bass player who had better gear, so took up guitar - it made sense at the time, and it was good fun, but was much more of a rhythm player than lead). Always kept a bass in. Now back playing bass, and loving it.

I originally played the fiddle, which was not cool 50 odd years ago. I wanted to play in a band with my pals, who played guitars, so bass was the obvious choice. I did find that I tended to gravitate to the bass parts on a lot of the records I listened to. The first one to really knock me out was Bob Babbitt's mighty playing on Smokey Robinson's 'Tears of a Clown' (although I didn't know it was Bob, or who he was at the time).

What brought me to the bass? A guitarist - Freddie Green. I played in a big band for years, and to me, this style of playing is very similar in philosophy to bass playing - serve the song. Be a rock solid foundation for others to do their theatrics and glory seeking over the top!

Here's a small group example of his work: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNNYw9AsOM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNNYw9AsOM[/url]

It's all my childhood best friend's fault. He got a drum kit for Christmas (which he picked up and got very good at very quickly indeed) and wanted someone to jam with. I'd had piano lessons so assumed he'd want me to play keys which didn't really appeal to me but he was really into Nirvana at the time so was thinking more of guitar.
He lent me an old steel strung acoustic that only had the low E and A strings on it and gave me a copied cassette of Nirvana Unplugged
I've always had a good ear for music and within a week I'd learnt to play every song on that album well enough to at least play along.
Turns out though that I'd actually learnt the bass lines. I'd been listening to Quadraphenia a lot and it was the bass in it that I was drawn to (even though I didn't even know it was a bass) so it made sense to me to learn that same part of these songs.
Fortunately my mate was just as happy to jam with a bass player as a guitarist and actually lent me the money to buy my first bass (a Hohner B2a).

[quote name='IainS' timestamp='1487955865' post='3244597']
I thought it would help me get a girlfriend so I bought a shiny red bass (girls like shiny things, right?) and a few months later I got my first girlfriend.
Coincidence??!!!
Probably. But she stayed with me for three years and that was enough to convince me that bass was cool and sexy.
27 years later and I'm still convinced.
[/quote]

Not bass, but I started on guitar because of a girl largely. I was 17. My friend got an electric guitar and a bunch of us would go to his place to watch him wrestle with this thing. He was a beginner but it was amazing to hear riffs of well known songs on that guitar. I had a crush on one of the girls in the group, and she loved the guitar. As a result my friend also got attention... and when I got home I grabbed one of my dad's classical guitars and started trying to get a tune out of it.

Soon I had nearly forgotten the girl but I was hooked on guitar :lol:

That girl and I became good friends over time, and eventually we did get together. I told her she was the cause I took up guitar and she laughed. It only lasted about 6 months... we weren't well matched anymore, and living in different countries didn't allow for a lot of what's needed. But to this day she's one of my very best friends and I'm grateful that in a roundabaout way she brought me to guitars.

The bass came later. Jam session with work... only one person available for bass and he ran away with a pint after 10 minutes. I grabbed the bass and I could not stop smiling. A couple of months later I bought a Jazz bass copy and joined a terrible terrible start up metal band, where I changed from using a pick to fingerstyle and a couple of months later I left to find something more suitable... The bass was now deeply ingrained in me, and from the 15-16 electric guitars I used to have I'm down to three and I use them little.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1487886701' post='3243985']
Queen.

I grew up being totally engrossed by Brian May's guitar playing. I suppose that was the band I heard the most despite being exposed to such a wide range of music as a kid. Everything from The Everly Brothers to Iron Maiden, The Damned, Glen Cambell to Jeff Wayne.

Then there was that other guy playing an instrument that looked like it'd far better fit me..and it sounded cool... really cool..

When humming a tune, it was always the Bass line I gravitated to. I'd never remember lyrics but I could easily pick out a Bass line when others couldn't.

This is certainly the video that changed it for me:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjsTwqPW-p0[/media]

I recorded the televised version and as a teen proceeded to learn every note of the gig, even the wrong ones.
[/quote]I remember at the beginning of the Bohemian Rhapsody video John's Precision was in shot behind Freddie which left an impression.