Why become a member? ×

Christian Rock

tonybassplayer

[quote name='mcgraham' post='311232' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:40 PM']If these things [i]were[/i] true, that there is a creator God, and the associated trinity, would it still be ludicrous? Would it still be delusional to do the things that Josh listed as delusional if this were true?

Mark[/quote]

If they were true they would be justified, and then there would be no question. Simple.

Edited by Josh

You often see Andrew Gouche's name mentioned in terms of gospel bass... he's supposed to be fairly hot. Are there any of his youtubisms we can check out? (can't get to it to search at the moment, works PC won't let me get to youtube)

[quote name='Rich' post='311251' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:52 PM']You often see Andrew Gouche's name mentioned in terms of gospel bass... he's supposed to be fairly hot. Are there any of his youtubisms we can check out? (can't get to it to search at the moment, works PC won't let me get to youtube)[/quote]

Andrew Gouche is one my main influences of the last so many months, he's currently Chaka Khans MD and really does spice up the songs live, he's busy but so tasteful.

Well here's one better than most of the Youtube offerings, finding stuff for lesser known Gospel bassists is a bitch.

[url="http://live.bassplayer.com/Artist.aspx?name=gouche&video=gouche2"]Clinic.[/url]

And some selected youtube action:

And some live Chaka (With Prince and Stevie Wonder)action:

[url="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24vjp_chaka-khan-tribute-prince-yolanda-s_music"]Chaka Icon.[/url]

Try looking for some Maurice Fitzgerald as well.

Edited by Josh

Josh, I'm happy to take it to PMs :)

Re: Andrew Gouche, as I'm primarily a gospel bassist (at least that's been 80-90% of my gigs for the last 5 years or so) I was surprised to have only heard of him in 2008. Does anyone who's more up on his work know if he's just come to more prominence of late, or has he been around for a while? He has a decent tone, a little heavy on the more percussive style of playing to my ears, but it is mighty tasteful and tuneful nonetheless.

Whilst I love playing gospel, only certain musicians grab my attention. Israel Houghton being one of them. He's brought a fresh approach to gospel music and (IMO) breaks free of the more stereotypical cheese fest that gospel music can often turn into.

Mark

I don't know where ALC is in Bradford, but I have a Christian friend who was invited to fill in on keyboards for a group playing at a fairly deshelved-looking church in the centre of Bradford. Half the band were American, and I must admit they were professional and talented musicians. Indeed it was one of those 'sing-a-long' things, where they projected the lyrics of the song onto a screen above the band, and I was amazed to see all these people in the church dancing around and clapping their hands. It was evident though, that they were enjoying the music because it was good music (sounded just as good in rehearsal to me), not because of anything else (but being an Atheist I would say that, wouldn't I?).

My mate told me afterwards that it was one of the crazier church's he'd been to, as it startled me when I saw people getting on the floor, waving purple(?) flags around, saying "Hi!" to me even though they'd never met me before, and the lecturer-bloke telling me that as long as "I have Jesus in my heart, my finances will be ok" :).

[quote name='BioBiro' post='311322' date='Oct 21 2008, 02:09 PM']My mate told me afterwards that it was one of the crazier church's he'd been to, as it startled me when I saw people getting on the floor, waving purple(?) flags around, saying "Hi!" to me even though they'd never met me before, and the lecturer-bloke telling me that as long as "I have Jesus in my heart, my finances will be ok" :).[/quote]

The next step is to persuade you to sell all your personal belongings and move to a commune in Guyana. DO NOT DRINK FROM THE VAT OF FLAVOR AID!

Did you check out the Christian Rock mosh pit (points for reference spotting)? Pretty damn sure getting a bunch of people together to make music for a reason other than liking music is a very good thing, how else would you find out that you love making music with other poeple.

That Lydia on youtube with the playing some Marcus Miller song with the bouncy Fender top is from a really Christian family, thats what being brought up singing and loving music can do for you. Not really sure why I know that actually.

[quote]Blessed are the cheese-makers.[/quote]

Tell me about it... True worship is beyond genre or style. But what is beyond me is why a great proportion of Christian/God-centric worship music is stuck in an apparent time warp. I love re-arranging songs and making them radically different, it just seems a shame that I've always got to do this. The new wave of such songs seem to be an ever-evolving but never-progressing parody of the songs that went before them.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='311321' date='Oct 21 2008, 02:06 PM']Josh, I'm happy to take it to PMs :)

Re: Andrew Gouche, as I'm primarily a gospel bassist (at least that's been 80-90% of my gigs for the last 5 years or so) I was surprised to have only heard of him in 2008. Does anyone who's more up on his work know if he's just come to more prominence of late, or has he been around for a while? He has a decent tone, a little heavy on the more percussive style of playing to my ears, but it is mighty tasteful and tuneful nonetheless.[/quote]

Gouche was one of the first "Real" Gospel bassists along with Joel Smith (Another great player if you can find more vids than the few on Youtube) to bring proper bass into live and recorded gospel music. I think Joel brought in the whole tuning half a step down business, Gouche openly admits himself in one of those clinic videos that he went half a step lower than Joel just because he could and is what he has gotten use to over the years and is what has given him such a prominent tone on any/every recording he has done.

To us he is relatively new, but he has been recording with many gospel artist's, Ministers and other MD's since the early/mid 80's and has gained a reputation for being one of the most solid and creative bassists to ever play on the gospel scene, even with all the new gospel bassists appearing left right and centre Gouche still sounds fresh.

The only stuff I've managed to find besides his gospel stuff (And even finding that is a pain in the ass) is when he recorded quite a few tracks for the Unwrapped cd's from HBR, and there damn hard to come by as well, but they're basically re-recordings of modern hip-hop songs, and man they are lush. Have a looksie and a listen:

[url="http://shop.hiddenbeach.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=30409"]How Hip-Hop should be.[/url]
[url="http://shop.hiddenbeach.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=30420"]Listen to Rappers Delight.[/url]
[url="http://shop.hiddenbeach.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=30413"]More.[/url]

He is bringing out his first solo CD soon though.

In regards to his tone, MTD Basses are a huge part of it, and ampwise he uses Epifani and SWR.

Thats the best I can give with all the stuff I've read and heard and looked up.

Edited by Josh

"I don't know where ALC is in Bradford"

It's in Wapping, if you are stood outside Canal Road Tescos it is the massive modern building right up on the hill looking towards the Leeds Road area: in fact I've just looked out my office window in the centre of Bradford and can see it from here too!

I was contemplating getting an MTD when I was pooling resources for a custom. I was fortunate enough to get to try Ari's MTDs, and whilst they sounded good, they just weren't for me. Good for my wallet, not good in the sense that my illusions of them being great for me were let down.

Mark

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='311212' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:20 PM']Maybe that's why you get a lot of decent musicians in these bands?[/quote]

I have seen the same. I personally put it down to these guys having a gig at least once a week! :)

TBH, I wished I had got into playing music when I was a more regular churchgoer. I'd be a much better musician for sure. Like I said, regular gigs.... lol

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='mcgraham' post='311353' date='Oct 21 2008, 03:00 PM']Tell me about it... True worship is beyond genre or style. But what is beyond me is why a great proportion of Christian/God-centric worship music is stuck in an apparent time warp. I love re-arranging songs and making them radically different, it just seems a shame that I've always got to do this. The new wave of such songs seem to be an ever-evolving but never-progressing parody of the songs that went before them.

Mark[/quote]

Alas, someone with whom to share my frustrations!! I know exactly what you mean Mark. Whilst the US Gospel seen pumps out some amazing tunes, I continue to be amazed at why the UK worship scene hasn't moved on from the very rock based Hillsongs type material. Sure, there's some fantastic musicians out there in the UK Christian music scene, but it's such a shame they don't have some of the best arrangements to play. And before anyone else says it, yes, I know it's more about the words / content, but wouldn't it be great to have some funky / souly / even reggae type music to accompany them?

Wow, I didn't expect to log on tonight and find three pages of comments !!

I can only speak it as I see and experience it.

I was VERY sceptical on my first visit but just really enjoyed the whole evening of music, singing and message ( and when I say sceptical I really mean it as I would never have envisaged myself in church for anything more than the traditional weddings, funerals etc )

My children ( 7, 8 and 11 ) loved the children's classes and are delighted every Sunday when I ask them if they want to go again.

Everyone I have met has been very nice and friendly.

The band, singers and music are superb.

I grew up as a teenager in the seventies when life was pretty different to how it is now and as my children grow that bit older I will have to try to guide them in the right direction to ensure that they have the best start in life. From what I saw of the huge numbers of teenagers at the ALC all having a brilliant time singing etc and from what I have researched since then this is certainly a place that I would feel safe if they wanted to attend.

Tony

[quote name='BioBiro' post='311322' date='Oct 21 2008, 02:09 PM']I don't know where ALC is in Bradford, but I have a Christian friend who was invited to fill in on keyboards for a group playing at a fairly deshelved-looking church in the centre of Bradford. Half the band were American, and I must admit they were professional and talented musicians. Indeed it was one of those 'sing-a-long' things, where they projected the lyrics of the song onto a screen above the band, and I was amazed to see all these people in the church dancing around and clapping their hands. It was evident though, that they were enjoying the music because it was good music (sounded just as good in rehearsal to me), not because of anything else (but being an Atheist I would say that, wouldn't I?).[/quote]

I disagree. I don't believe they'd behave in that way to just any good music ? Only music which reinforces or that's associated with their beliefs ...imho

Edited by walplayer

[quote name='walplayer' post='311597' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:47 PM']I disagree. I don't believe they'd behave in that way to just any good music ? Only music which reinforces or that's associated with their beliefs ...imho[/quote]

A majority of Christian Rock music is dull and predictable, it just serves as a basis to preach in a more accessible form to younger people. It's sugar coated chorus friendly to bring the masses in.

Edited by Josh