Why become a member? ×

32" Medium Scale Bass Thread

Rumple

Does 32.25 count???. If so I'm in. I don't need an excuse to post this pic again as I love it. Westone Thunder II version 3 from 83ish. Maple thru with a rosewood board. Super boomer I pickups. Optional xlr added too. My first true bass love from around 90...pearl anniversary already, bring on the diamond💎

IMG_20200417_130046.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ead said:

While you were all looking the other way I made a sneaky mod to my ACG Finn.  Any ideas what might have been done folks?

Before:

1539875533_FinnP04.thumb.jpg.b81662af65abb9a0d334efa117bb8696.jpg

After:

IMG_20200501_180242.thumb.jpg.0bfdc19ec97aba2362b1a9d04982f704.jpg

I know what you've done, so I can't play.😉

I owe you an email!

Eude

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, eude said:

I know what you've done, so I can't play.😉

I owe you an email!

Eude

Funnily enough I was going to drop you a note too.  Speak soon bud.

It's actually a 4-position coil switch for the new pickup.  This is one of the brand spanking new ACG BZ1 Hybrid Humbuckers.  It's a great little device that is, to quote from @skelf recent post in the ACG thread, " ...a hybrid humbucker in that it uses two different magnets for the coils. This allows for an Alnico single coil and a ceramic single coil in the same case. Combined with a rotary switch or 3 way mini toggle you have access to the separate coils and the coils combined. Think vintage single coil and modern single coil then both combined as a humbucker."

I rashly promised to record some sound samples but I should issue a public health warning that these will not be to same high standard as the excellent Colin Cunningham ACG demos.  I'm going to blame COVID-19 but I have a feeling that a marginal difference in talent might be responsible.  I'll post them as soon as possible.

• Like 1

OK here goes, samples below.

I spec'ed the bass with Alan at ACG to be essentially a passive 32" scale precision with the pickup in the P bass sweat spot.  The bass has an Alder body with a flame maple top, a 3-piece Ash neck and a Maple board so possible a tad brighter than your average precision.  Here's the link to the spec.:

https://www.acguitars.co.uk/project/0339finn4/

I recorded the same riff in each of the four switch settings with both volume and tone controls fully 'on' to make it as straight a comparison as possible.  The strings are a new set of D'Addario EXL170BT nickel round wounds, that seem to find their way onto all my fretted basses.

Finn Ceramic Single Coil bridge V100 T100.wav

Finn Alnico Single Coil neck V100 T100.wav

Finn both parallel V100 T100.wav

Finn both series V100 T100.wav

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ead said:

OK here goes, samples below.

I spec'ed the bass with Alan at ACG to be essentially a passive 32" scale precision with the pickup in the P bass sweat spot.  The bass has an Alder body with a flame maple top, a 3-piece Ash neck and a Maple board so possible a tad brighter than your average precision.  Here's the link to the spec.:

https://www.acguitars.co.uk/project/0339finn4/

Oh that’s sweet.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

New to this forum...Here are my 2  Warmoth 32" medium scale Basses

P Bass:   Swamp Ash body with Koa top,  Birdseye Maple neck/fretboard,  Nordstrand NP4A pickup & 2b preamp, Hipshot hardware & brass nut.

Jazz Bass:    Roasted Swamp Ash body, Roasted Maple neck with Bubinga fretboard, Ezi humbucker Jazz pickups (passive), Hipshot bridge and Schaller tuners.

rnPTCsu.thumb.jpg.b7160108fd2f4d172e71d0d918695f25.jpg2ygrtNQ.thumb.jpg.a3db002889a49bd343946efedfd18e5e.jpgFxGofNa.thumb.jpg.7d02e0b84e361d398c1ab7d537929171.jpgp53XkgG.thumb.jpg.da62dd54eb23e28917770b966a807031.jpgpSMSYmO.thumb.jpg.cf06e9a2b7a30ecbf15274c0543decc0.jpgeDUAwBO.thumb.jpg.7540b03613592859543a58082bc639d3.jpg

Edited by TK4261
added info
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Anyone know where I might get a fender style medium scale neck? Seem rare as hens teeth!

Bass Direct have a couple of MARUSZCZYK medium scales, Jazz & Precision styles. Jake & Elwoods. Other than that, you see the odd used MIJ. 

Edited by petebassist

11 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Anyone know where I might get a fender style medium scale neck? Seem rare as hens teeth!

Is it just a neck you need? Not sure how much shipping / taxes would be, but how about this?  

https://aeguitars.com/collections/necks/products/medium-scale-paddle-bass-neck-maple-rosewood-right-lefty-block-inlay

If it doesn't have to be a Fender-style headstock then there's a Gibson-style headstock one at https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/retrovibe-bass-neck-32-medium-scale-20-fret-maple-blackwood/

Alternatively, buy this! 😉 

11 hours ago, benebass said:

Is it just a neck you need? Not sure how much shipping / taxes would be, but how about this?  

https://aeguitars.com/collections/necks/products/medium-scale-paddle-bass-neck-maple-rosewood-right-lefty-block-inlay

I saw those - that does look like a good option. The Retrovibe ones aren't going to look right on a jaguar body.

Your bass for sale is basically exactly what i'm looking to build except with a different body.  Ok - let me think on it!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 06/10/2020 at 10:09, bloke_zero said:

If you aren’t fussy about it being Fender style then I have a 2+2 medium scale neck I’m think of offloading.

If you are, I have a Gypsy Rose 32” P/J project that I’m also thinking of offloading.