Why become a member? ×

32" Medium Scale Bass Thread

Rumple

• 1 month later...

Picked up Rumple's medium scale Fender Jazz a couple days ago, and it's brilliant. Got me thinking...

Anyone know of any decent, affordable 32" sixers with narrow string spacing? I tried Steve Lawson's Elrick signature and really liked it (33" scale, 16.5mm spacing), but I don't have 3 grand to drop on one. I suppose a custom Marusczyk is an option, but would be interesting if there is already a production model around.

As far as I know, there aren't any production 6 strings out there with a 32" scale, never mind 16.5m spacing.
I would absolutely check out ACG if I were you, potentially a little more expensive than a Marusczyk, but that's down to your spec.
I've got a 31.5" 6 string with 16.5mm spacing and a fretless one on the way very soon, you're more than welcome to come check them out, the fretless should hopefully land in about a month...

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1503994762' post='3361938']
As far as I know, there aren't any production 6 strings out there with a 32" scale, never mind 16.5m spacing.

Cheers,
Eude
[/quote]

Closest you'll get is probably this:

http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb40534natq.html

Although fully appreciate it's 30" rather than 32"

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1504196528' post='3363338']

[url="http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb40534natq.html"]http://www.rondomusi...b40534natq.html[/url]

Si
[/quote]

I tried to buy a bass from them a while back but although it seemed to offer UK delivery it always came up as 'Item Unavailable' it may be because it had a Rosewood fingerboard. I just tried it with the 6 string and the same thing happened.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1504196528' post='3363338']

http://www.rondomusic.com/hxb40534natq.html

Si
[/quote]

I would totally get that if it were available here! Was looking at one of the Wingbass 30" sixers the other day.

I got this nice Crafter bass after our late great sax player. A lot of love in this one!
The only thing I've done to it other than "cleaning off" a Roland synth pickup is shaping and installing a bone saddle at the bridge. That made a real difference in tone. Pure magic!

Unfortunately, the spruce top's bleeching shows where the synth pickup and controls were taped...

This is the old model with a nice arched back...
The most playable acoustic bass I've had. The acoustic tone isn't that big, but with the thing plugged in, it is magic...

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1504284842' post='3363922']
I got this nice Crafter bass after our late great sax player. A lot of love in this one!
The only thing I've done to it other than "cleaning off" a Roland synth pickup is shaping and installing a bone saddle at the bridge. That made a real difference in tone. Pure magic!

Unfortunately, the spruce top's bleeching shows where the synth pickup and controls were taped...

This is the old model with a nice arched back...
The most playable acoustic bass I've had. The acoustic tone isn't that big, but with the thing plugged in, it is magic...
[/quote]

Very nice, I like the figuring on the back of the body :)

• 2 months later...

Arrived yesterday, 8lb of black sparkly SX Gypsy Rose which I think I'll mod using the black scratchplate from my orange/yellow one, new pick-ups and wiring loom, Ultralites and maybe get the neck refinish in the new year.

IMG_20171115_094615.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Modded the Gypsy Rose with:

Cali neo pickups
Kiogon wiring loom
Schaller black tuners
black scratchplate
D'Addario Strings
graphite vinyl wrap on headstock with vinyl decal
generic black bridge, screws, neck plate, strap buttons, string tree..

P1010893.JPG

• Like 2

Not a recent picture (I believe this was either 2008 or 2009) but this is me with my Longbow bass. The one to the right is my old one and is a righty shortscale (30") which I sold to the guy holding it, the one to the left is a 32" lefty which I still have. This was at a meeting / bass bash of a Dutch bass players forum. The awkward fellow with the notepad is actually a local journalist, and this picture made it into the local newspaper xD

LeftyJikheetbas.jpg

They're fun instruments, and surprisingly well-made, with recessed monorail bridges, individual stacked humbucker per string, bone nut, OK-ish tuners and with the stock flatwound strings they sound very close to an upright. Otherwise they're little more than a square maple table leg xD

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, they made the Squier PB-331 in black, white and sunburst.

They also pop up slightly earlier than the E-series... below is mine, it's an A-series dated '85 (plus, I believe, Fender Japan made them in late '84 under the Squier JV series, though likely not exported... and they also came as regular Fender Japan models, but that's another can of worms). Great little basses. 

s5gqTDP.jpg

Edited by KK Jale
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2018 at 16:53, therealting said:

@Rumple, I’m really digging your MIJ medium scale Jazz and am actually toying with putting a J-Retro Deluxe in to really push it over the top.

What are recommendations for medium scale Ps to try?

I have an A series Squier P with flats on you are welcome to try but not buy :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...