Why become a member? ×

32" Medium Scale Bass Thread

Rumple

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1489314158' post='3255882']
I have just got this 32" scale Jake & it is fantastic!
[/quote]

Out of interest is the body on these slightly smaller than a standard P or full sized?

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1489324100' post='3256001']
Out of interest is the body on these slightly smaller than a standard P or full sized?
[/quote]

Can't comment on the Jake but my Elwood is def slightly smaller body size than my Fender US Dlx J5 - frankly I would've liked it even smaller though.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1489312617' post='3255863']
Interesting idea, I guess it would only really work if there was a limited run 'Basschat' spec 32" scale bass?
[/quote]

Sooo... current owners get commission yeah? :P

[quote name='weefunkateer' timestamp='1489353324' post='3256330']
Can't comment on the Jake but my Elwood is def slightly smaller body size than my Fender US Dlx J5 - frankly I would've liked it even smaller though.
[/quote]

That's what I like about my two, they both are like a Fender that's been shrunk in the wash by 5% -10%.

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1489381734' post='3256439']
Hi all. Great thread! I have been looking into shorter scale basses myself lately. Can anyone suggest any (fender) jazz style 32" scale basses, available in the UK, that I could try? Cheers.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I can't think of anything you could just pop in to a guitar shop and try, I think Bass Direct sell a few Maruszczyk's but the last time I checked they didn't have any 32" scale ones in stock.

[quote name='weefunkateer' timestamp='1489000089' post='3253651']
As a wee man and a 5 string man I've found medium is defo the best overall fit for me - currently have a custom Maruszczyk Elwood Absolution 5A 32" which is now my go to fiver, along with a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic 5 which is up for sale in the classifieds if anyone fancies a medium-sized dalliance with a 5th string...
[/quote]

Wow!
I love that Maruszczyk 32" 5er!
How's the low B on it?
I don't suppose you have any recordings?

Thanks dude,
Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1489414243' post='3256681']
Wow!
I love that Maruszczyk 32" 5er!
How's the low B on it?
I don't suppose you have any recordings?
[/quote]

Low B is ace - no real difference in tone than my full size Fender - but there is def a drop in string tension across all strings in comparison which is to be expected really with the 2" shaved off. Not an issue at all, just find I need a lighter touch with the Maruszczyk.

The Warwick actually feels higher string tension than the Maruszczyk and also has a sweet B, just prefer the thin neck, preamp and defo the looks of the Maruszczyk = custom-for-me-tastic so the W is now surplus to requirements.

No recordings yet but I'll keep ya'll posted!

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1489381734' post='3256439']
Hi all. Great thread! I have been looking into shorter scale basses myself lately. Can anyone suggest any (fender) jazz style 32" scale basses, available in the UK, that I could try? Cheers.
[/quote]

There's no real Jazz style medium options readily available but noticed the new Squier Gary Jarman sig is 32" which is a P/mustang frankenstein vibe (!) but at least you can try one for the feel...?

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=160128292809008&gclid=CKP5687c09ICFSEL0wodqR8Ncw

[quote name='weefunkateer' timestamp='1489416681' post='3256717']
Low B is ace - no real difference in tone than my full size Fender - but there is def a drop in string tension across all strings in comparison which is to be expected really with the 2" shaved off. Not an issue at all, just find I need a lighter touch with the Maruszczyk.

The Warwick actually feels higher string tension than the Maruszczyk and also has a sweet B, just prefer the thin neck, preamp and defo the looks of the Maruszczyk = custom-for-me-tastic so the W is now surplus to requirements.

No recordings yet but I'll keep ya'll posted!
[/quote]

Thanks for the info dude!
It's a lovely looking bass!

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1489483648' post='3257247']
Thanks for the info dude!
It's a lovely looking bass!

Eude
[/quote]

Thanks man!

Turns out Adrian made of a video of my bass so ch-ch-check-it out...

[url="https://youtu.be/C2gZ62Metk4"]https://youtu.be/C2gZ62Metk4[/url]

Edited by weefunkateer

Thanks dude, had a wee listen, just sounds like a nice crispy jazz bass, no tone loss whatsoever with the shorter scale :)

I think I have one more bass in me, once my next one lands (an ACG Krell SC E Type 6 string, headless, fretless), I think I might have to see if Alan at ACG will make me a Jazz type bass in 31.5" flavour, my preferred scale length these days.

Cheers,
Ewan

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1490651369' post='3266836']
Just spotted this. Is it new? Anyone seen one?

32" scale Squier with rosewood neck, 42mm nut.

[url="https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-gary-jarman-signature-bass"]https://www.pmtonlin...-signature-bass[/url]
[/quote]

Looks like it has been discussed before (must read more posts!)
Not a lot of love for it, it seems. Perhaps it will also be as long lived as the Rascal and 32" Telebass.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/278317-squier-gary-jarman-signature-bass/

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1490651369' post='3266836']
Just spotted this. Is it new? Anyone seen one?

32" scale Squier with rosewood neck, 42mm nut.

[url="https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-gary-jarman-signature-bass"]https://www.pmtonlin...-signature-bass[/url]
[/quote]

It's a bit of a strange shape, I'm not so keen on it.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1490714708' post='3267324']
My recently acquired Yamaha BBVIIs

I'll try and get a better pic of it up at some point if anyone is interested!

[attachment=241850:IMG_20170328_160728.jpg]
[/quote]

Yes, I'm definitely interested in it Rumple. Looks a nice bass
More pics please. I hadn't realised there were many options in 32" scale....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1490714825' post='3267325']
Yes, I'm definitely interested in it Rumple. Looks a nice bass
More pics please. I hadn't realised there were many options in 32" scale....
[/quote]

The body once had lots of stickers on it so there are faded areas and some glue residue here and there but it's a nice MIJ 80's bass :)

32"s ??
I just love them.
Best of both worlds.
I owned quite few of them.
Some of them brilliant, some of them not.
Loved the [b]Alembic Spoiler[/b] and the [b]Kubicki X-Factor[/b] but could not afford them.
Had the wonderful [b]Aria TSB-650[/b] (all TSB series is medium scale) but in a moment of "doudt and pain" traded it for something else plus cash... Changed my mind next day but was too late.

The Mexican[b] Fender Urge[/b] was never my cup of tea and I was happy to see it go.
I took home for couple of weeks the[b] American Stu Hum[/b]. Better bass than its Mexican cousin but again, not for me.

Same for the [b]Fender Jazz Bass Special[color=#606060] [/color][b]JP-535[/b].[/b]
As much as I would like to like it, didn't work for me but his new owner loves it.

I would really love to get my hands on a green [b]Burns Marquee[/b] but unfortunately this is not the right time

In any case, my medium scale thirst is well under control at the moment.

I own a beautiful and great sounding[b] Landing L2[/b] (www.landingbass.com).

It;s been with me quite a long time (and my son loves it so, here it stays) but I think that a new paint job is in order.

Next to the list is my[b] MIJ Squire A series P-bass[/b] with custom pickups (Alnico II / heavy formvar), flats and custom metallic paint job.
Groove machine... B)

Couple of months ago I became a happy owner of the gorgeous [b]Squier Telecaster Vintage Bass[/b] (which will undergo a new finish sooner or later). And a new pickup probably.
Wonderful bass. One sound only, true, but a really good one. Bit heavy though.....

And here is the medium scale I have before any of the aforementioned.
The [b]Gypsy Flower from SX[/b].
Laugh all you like but is a well balanced bass with alder body and a very comfortable (and looks like quartershawn) neck for under 180 Euros.
With just a change of strings and a pair of decent pickups (I tried Toneriders), I played to two gis with it (admitedly with the black version since I wasn't brave enough for the purple) and behaved admirably.

Obviously, [b]Medium Scale Rules ! :D[/b]

Edited by Audiokostas

I'm in this thread as I am tempted by a 32" scale P.....but there don't seem to be many available.

Since I bought my Fender CE300 T-Bucket acoustic bass (32" scale 42mm nut) I have been doing most of my practice on it.
When I go to rehearsals with one of my 34" basses I find my muscle memory needs a conscious adjustment as my left hand is now used to the 32" neck...

However, seeing as I am currently waiting for a EBMMUS Sterling to arrive and I already have another 4 34"ers, I think it'd be a better (cheaper?) idea to swap the acoustic out for a 34" acoustic....hmmmm

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1490785035' post='3267913']
Since I bought my Fender CE300 T-Bucket acoustic bass (32" scale 42mm nut) I have been doing most of my practice on it.
When I go to rehearsals with one of my 34" basses I find my muscle memory needs a conscious adjustment as my left hand is now used to the 32" neck... [/quote]

It has to be noted though, that sometimes, poor (or fashion-minded) ergonomics negate the comfort of 32" scale whereas properly designed 34"s can feel as easy to play as a 32 scale (Warwick Fortress quickly springs to mind).

On the other hand, the Stanley Clarke Alembic I was revisiting today, certainly doesn't look or feel like a short scale or the Squier Telecaster that has the same overall length (and much thicker body and neck with a 43mm nut) with a 34" Jazz bass since their scale is shortened by pushing the bridge closer to the neck rather than downsizing the whole bass by a percentage.

Edited by Audiokostas