Why become a member? ×

32" Medium Scale Bass Thread

Rumple

On 09/10/2020 at 23:48, therealting said:

If you aren’t fussy about it being Fender style then I have a 2+2 medium scale neck I’m think of offloading.

If you are, I have a Gypsy Rose 32” P/J project that I’m also thinking of offloading. 

I'm thinking that my current idea - to put a medium scale neck onto a fullsize body - is going to be difficult unless I get a specific conversion neck to fit 61mm neck pocket. Thanks for the suggestions though!

1 minute ago, bloke_zero said:

I'm thinking that my current idea - to put a medium scale neck onto a fullsize body - is going to be difficult unless I get a specific conversion neck to fit 61mm neck pocket. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Yeah, probably going to be all sorts of proportion issues too. 

• 4 months later...

So I've currently got a 35" MTD Kingston and a Bronco short scale and I think a perfect compromise for the 3rd slot would be a medium scale. I know I could just get a Mezzo but I just can't gel with the SR shape. 

A quick Google shows SX did a 32 jazz which would be ideal, anyone had/got one or know if Rondo Music still produce these? 

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

So I've currently got a 35" MTD Kingston and a Bronco short scale and I think a perfect compromise for the 3rd slot would be a medium scale. I know I could just get a Mezzo but I just can't gel with the SR shape.

I have a Mezzo that I brought because I wanted a medium scale bass, I initially wanted a medium scale Squier CV jaguar bass but after returning 2 of them due to QC issues I didn't feel like playing a lottery on whether or not I would get a dodgy one. I have to say though the Mezzo body shape despite being a bit more pointy than the typical Fender body shape is surprisingly ergonomic.

I have had a couple of medium scale basses.

A burny 32 inch precision

and a Marazcuk 32 inch jake with precision and jazz pickups 

both great had to sell when the pandemic started as lost all outr gigs 

the burnys come up occasionally on ebay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/04/2021 at 18:56, benebass said:

Shameless plug, but just put my Squier Japanese Medium Scale Precision up for sale... 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/448192-squier-japan-32-scale-medium-scale-precision-bass/

Oh I am after one of these! If anyone knows of one going? Or one of the Fender MIJ 62 reissues from the 80's/'90's P or J 

34" is too long for me and I have 30" but this is a compromise on sound hence want a 32" 

Edited by Goldilocks

2 hours ago, Goldilocks said:

Oh I am after one of these! If anyone knows of one going? Or one of the Fender MIJ 62 reissues from the 80's/'90's P or J 

34" is too long for me and I have 30" but this is a compromise on sound hence want a 32" 

That one's gone to a new home now, but I am thinking of putting a Warmoth 32" scale bass up for sale soon. Weighs less than 7lb & sounds huge!

IMG_20210501_192552502.thumb.jpg.a1c4afa1dd5de950c544415ad80fb2a8.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, benebass said:

That one's gone to a new home now, but I am thinking of putting a Warmoth 32" scale bass up for sale soon. Weighs less than 7lb & sounds huge!

IMG_20210501_192552502.thumb.jpg.a1c4afa1dd5de950c544415ad80fb2a8.jpg

That's a gorgeous looking bass! Neck looks nice and slim and body compact. Did you build it yourself? What woods are they?

I was really after a Fender but will bear this in mind. 

9 hours ago, Goldilocks said:

That's a gorgeous looking bass! Neck looks nice and slim and body compact. Did you build it yourself? What woods are they?

Cheers! Assembled it myself from parts. Body is swamp ash & neck is Canary, which I'd describe as half way between maple & wenge. Much lighter than maple & very articulate - difficult to put into words, but I tried it in a couple of different bodies & it sounded great on both! Finished lightly with tru oil, so feels very 'natural wood' if you know what I mean...

Pickup is EMG Geezer Butler & hardware is Hipshot (bridge / string tree) / Schaller (tuners).

• Like 1

On 02/05/2021 at 00:07, Goldilocks said:

Thanks for the info, I'm not very clued up on pups but does is have a classic p sound? 

35 minutes ago, Goldilocks said:

Thanks for the info, I'm not very clued up on pups but does is have a classic p sound? 

It certainly does!  The Geezer is EMG's take on a passive Precision pickup & it's currently strung with flats to give it more of a vintage Fender feel & tone.

17 hours ago, Goldilocks said:

I bought a similar bass from @benebass with the emg geezer butler bass pickup and it's a lovely thing, clear tone and the pickup feels quite 70's as I guess you'd expect - very present, clear and smooth and you're not fighting a load of unwanted frequencies and tones. Fun to play too.

• Like 2

On 03/05/2021 at 16:38, benebass said:

It certainly does!  The Geezer is EMG's take on a passive Precision pickup & it's currently strung with flats to give it more of a vintage Fender feel & tone.

I have so much to learn! This has thrown me off course and I need to do more research haha!

• Like 1

Not the best picture and the bass has since been modded but a fun bass to play, my Ibanez Mezzo.

The stock preamp was way too heavy handed, the bass and treble were heavily boosted even in the centre detent position and the treble control could shatter glass.

I swapped the pickups for Duncan SPB-2 to darken up the tone a bit and had an active/passive switch fitted and it was an improvement but I still felt like there was some ugly treble frequencies that I could not dial out so I decided to go full passive v/v/t and a series/parallel switch that switches the P pickup between series and parallel and as soon as I got the bass back from the tech and plugged it in I felt the bass was in its happy place tonally, those ugly treble frequencies were gone and it sounded much rounder and fatter.  

The Duncan has a nice dark growl to it, with darker sounding strings like flats or pure nickel strings you can get a good vintage tone and with stainless rounds it has a killer rock tone and really barks when you dig in, due to the heavy overwind the P pickup even sounds good in parallel mode and when in parallel and combined with the J pickup gets very Jazz bass-esq

mezzo.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...