Why become a member? ×

Crimson Guitars - New Build

elom

Well it was all the fault of [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27747&hl="]this thread[/url]. It planted the seed and before long I'd convinced myself that a custom build would be a fitting tribute to celebrate/commiserate my 40 years on the planet next year.

There are many fine luthiers to choose from but in the end I went with Ben from [url="http://www.crimsonguitars.com/"]Crimson Guitars[/url]. If you have a look at his site you'll see that he makes some stunning instruments and from the first phone call I knew that this was the kind of guy that I wanted to deal with. I went out to see him about 10 days ago and spent a very enjoyable few hours talking designs, specs, woods etc

This is what we came up with:

4 string
Basic design is from his PAF guitar model which is a Les Paulish shape - exactly what I was after
The neck will be modeled on the very thin round profile of my Fender Performer
33" neck (to aid the balance given the small light body)
black hardware (gotoh bridge/tuners)
blue stained pinstripe through multi-laminate neck
rosewood board
blue stained figured pear-wood bookmatched top
spalted beech back
through neck design.
comfort carves and all access neck joint..
through body stringing
2 Wizard humbucker pickups

I am really excited about this. In particular I knew the look I wanted in terms of the wood but was struggling to describe it very well. We found it on a piece of pear wood which I am so pleased with. Not a wood I'd ever considered but I think it looks the business.

Anyway this is going to be a slow build because I don't actually want to collect it until my birthday next June - even though Ben said he could get it finished as early as January if I wanted. At least now it gives me a reason to look forward to turning 40!

Anyhoo, here are some pics of the outlines etc taken from his [url="http://www.crimsonguitars.com/diary.html"]Workshop Diary[/url]

I'll keep you posted as it progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

i always liked les paul shaped basses, dont know why you dont see them more often.

the outline is looking great, im looking forward to seeing this finished, you sure you dont wanna get it done for January? I can look after it till june if you like.

Edited by lwtait

• 3 months later...

[quote name='chris_b' post='405492' date='Feb 10 2009, 04:45 PM']The strap button isn't going to support the neck very well. Make sure it's not top heavy.[/quote]

I know that les paul shaped basses often suffer from a bit of neck dive. However the spec is for a particularly thin neck and the scale is 33" specifically to try and get a better balance. With a decent strap too I think I'll be fine but now that you've got me thinking about it I'll mention it to Ben!

• 3 weeks later...

You can see the stages in the construction of the blue pin-stripe neck [url="http://www.crimsonguitars.com/article328.html"]here[/url]. This is what it's looking like now

and the pickups have arrived from Andy at [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/index.asp"]Wizard[/url] (not the distressed ones)

[quote name='elom' post='410557' date='Feb 15 2009, 10:35 PM']I know that les paul shaped basses often suffer from a bit of neck dive. However the spec is for a particularly thin neck and the scale is 33" specifically to try and get a better balance. With a decent strap too I think I'll be fine but now that you've got me thinking about it I'll mention it to Ben![/quote]

If it's any help, my Epi Les Paul Standard has NO neck dive. I couldn't believe it either!

[quote name='elom' post='410557' date='Feb 15 2009, 10:35 PM']I know that les paul shaped basses often suffer from a bit of neck dive. However the spec is for a particularly thin neck and the scale is 33" specifically to try and get a better balance. With a decent strap too I think I'll be fine but now that you've got me thinking about it I'll mention it to Ben![/quote]

You could always use the cunning trick that's on an NS Bolin bass, where they have an arm which swivels out from the top horn. I 'googled' Bolin bass to try to get a pic of what I'm going on about and it pinged be back to Basschat!!

Anyway, you can see how the strap is attached the arm instead of to behind the top horn.

[quote name='7string' post='428268' date='Mar 7 2009, 10:07 PM']You could always use the cunning trick that's on an NS Bolin bass, where they have an arm which swivels out from the top horn.[/quote]

That's original. I don't like it but you've got to admire innovation!

Having spoken with Ben I'm sure the balance wont be a problem.

[quote name='7string' post='428268' date='Mar 7 2009, 10:07 PM']You could always use the cunning trick that's on an NS Bolin bass, where they have an arm which swivels out from the top horn. I 'googled' Bolin bass to try to get a pic of what I'm going on about and it pinged be back to Basschat!!

Anyway, you can see how the strap is attached the arm instead of to behind the top horn.

[/quote]

Thats like on my Steiny Synapse...personally, it;s takin a bit of gettin used to, but it's an ingenious way to hold the strap!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='steve-soar' post='458865' date='Apr 9 2009, 09:55 PM']Anyone who can plane a neck straight with a Record Flat, is a total dude. :)[/quote]

Hand tools are the only way really when making musical instruments. Power tools are great for roughing out shapes and routing and stuff, but you need the contact with the work piece that hand tools give you. I have a record plane which belonged to my grandfather and then my father. I've just paid a kings ransom to have the blade professionally sharpened and dressed and it now cuts end grain shavings! Hand tools are defo the way for this type of work imho.