Why become a member? ×

Help an old fogey?

Happy Jack

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1487798563' post='3243103']
Badger metal never really took off then ...
[/quote]

Well actually... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t_agPRqgBs"]http[/url][url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t_agPRqgBs"]://www.youtube....h?v=-t_agPRqgBs[/url]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1487794868' post='3243066']
I think BPM were the ones who used to be in the arcade in Sadler gate weren't they? Way Ahead was over the other side opposite what was then Argos and next to the Army recruitment office. It's now that big horrendous shopping centre - Westfield? I am up in Derby on Saturday but it's a quick visit, I will drop into BPM next time I get a chance though.
[/quote]

Not sure which was which but there was a record shop on The Strand too. I wondered where I'd heard or seen Way Ahead before but when I put "Way Ahead Records" into Bing I got "BPM Records" out. Perhaps they will enlighten you when you visit.

Westfield is now called "Intu". I hate it whatever it's called. If you suffer with tinnitus avoid the public toilets because the air driers are far too loud. I think they nicked 'em from Royce's test beds.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1487800510' post='3243128']

Not sure which was which but there was a record shop on The Strand too. I wondered where I'd heard or seen Way Ahead before but when I put "Way Ahead Records" into Bing I got "BPM Records" out. Perhaps they will enlighten you when you visit.

Westfield is now called "Intu". I hate it whatever it's called. If you suffer with tinnitus avoid the public toilets because the air driers are far too loud. I think they nicked 'em from Royce's test beds.
[/quote]
:lol: I remember going down to where they used to test the RB211s as a kid as a mate told us that they would blow you over if you stood in the right place, we were never lucky enough to see or hear them running and I doubt our mates story would have been accurate but when you are 12 anything is possible!

We are spoiled these days with access to new music, in some ways it's hard to remember how you used to find out about stuff.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1487800920' post='3243133']
:lol: I remember going down to where they used to test the RB211s as a kid as a mate told us that they would blow you over if you stood in the right place, we were never lucky enough to see or hear them running and [u]I doubt our mates story would have been accurate[/u] but when you are 12 anything is possible!

We are spoiled these days with access to new music, in some ways it's hard to remember how you used to find out about stuff.
[/quote]

It's accurate with regard to the fan blast from the by-pass duct. In fact you can be killed outright, diced and then minced if you get too near an intake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1V8E6Qb9M

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1487801099' post='3243136']

It's accurate with regard to the fan blast from the by-pass duct. In fact you can be killed outright, diced and then minced if you get too near an intake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1V8E6Qb9M
[/quote]
The story we were told was to stand by a wall on London Rd and give each other a backy so your head was over the wall whereupon ypunwould be blown over, I could be wrong but I think the H&S was probably good enough to stop that from happening! But as I said, at twelve you believe all sorts.......

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1487789178' post='3242963']
It's the whole misappropriation of genres titles. To me, R'n'B is late 40s/50s stuff, like Ray Charles, Bo Diddley and to an extent the white British derivation in bands like The Who and early Rolling Stones. The stuff my parents listened to. TLC and Rhianna are not R'n'B.

And don't get me started on Garage.
[/quote]

Actually I think it's two different names getting confused here. R'n'B in the old-school style is Rhythm and Blues. Used in a modern popular music context it means Rhythm and Bass, which is what you're getting with the Rhianna stuff. No idea who the genius that coined the same abbreviation for the two was...

Speaking as another old fogey 'It's all Rock n Roll to me'.

Reminds me of the time when me and my mate Gwyneth told Mr Beck, the groovy young Geography teacher, that we were into 'Progressive' music. He replied 'Progressive what? Progressive jazz? Progressive orchestral?' We couldn't reply so we just stood there giggling for a bit and then scuttled off.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1487789178' post='3242963']
It's the whole misappropriation of genres titles. To me, R'n'B is late 40s/50s stuff, like Ray Charles, Bo Diddley and to an extent the white British derivation in bands like The Who and early Rolling Stones. The stuff my parents listened to. TLC and Rhianna are not R'n'B.

And don't get me started on Garage.
[/quote]

I think the difference is that in America R'n'B kept evolving, with the Rihanna stuff being one of the results, whereas white British R'n'B evolved into Dr.Feelgood and then stopped

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1487852549' post='3243516']
Speaking as another old fogey 'It's all Rock n Roll to me'.

Reminds me of the time when me and my mate Gwyneth told Mr Beck, the groovy young Geography teacher, that we were into 'Progressive' music. He replied 'Progressive what? Progressive jazz? Progressive orchestral?' We couldn't reply so we just stood there giggling for a bit and then scuttled off.
[/quote]

That's a lovely image. Thanks, it made me smile for almost a whole minute, heeheehee.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1487852976' post='3243524']
Here you go Jack - each genre has a link to an example

[url="http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html"]http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting -"This is an ongoing attempt at an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 1512 genres by Spotify."

I suppose that means it excludes non Internet-based knowledge. I wonder if it matters. It's the first time I've ever used a scatter plot graph.

I like it. For me, this is the nitty gritty bit - [url="http://everynoise.com/EverynoiseIntro.pdf"]http://everynoise.co...ynoiseIntro.pdf[/url]

"The calculations and machinations with which we build these genres involve[size=3] [font=sans-serif]layers upon layers upon layers of data-collection and synthesis, and a [/font][font=sans-serif]carefully considered (and mercifully manageable) amount of editorial[/font] [font=sans-serif]guidance. For example, we decide what to do with naming variants like “nu [/font][font=sans-serif]soul” and “neo soul” (we went with “neo”), and whether we have enough[/font] [font=sans-serif]data for the computers to produce a substantial and satisfyingly distinct [/font][font=sans-serif]body of music for any given thing, such as “indie folk” (yes), “sertanejo”[/font] [font=sans-serif](yes), or “ziglibithy” (no, not yet). [/font][font=sans-serif]We almost never make up genres, but we could. With great power comes[/font] [font=sans-serif]great responsibility. [b]The approach allows us (or our customers) to seed, and [/b][/font][font=sans-serif][b]then organically grow, a new genre or style from essentially any inspiration.[/b]"[/font][/size]

I am currently engaged in a project designed to clarify the distinction between Rhythm & Blues in its classic sense (music made by and for young black Americans 1948 - date) and the British variant as exemplified at its zenith by bands such as the early Stones and the Feelgoods.

While still a work in progress I now unveil such early fruits of my cogitations as I hope may eventually remove all confusion:

* R&B = Louis Jordan > Beyonce

* RnB = Early Stones, Feelgoods

The distinction clearly hinges on the use of an ampersand which is fine in the written form but when spoken risks being elided into a confusing 'N' sound. I would therefore propose that the classic American form be indicated in conversation by pronouncing it as three clearly separated syllables, ie [u]R[/u] [u]And[/u] [u]B[/u].

The momentary adoption of a slightly posh, clipped tone as exemplified by Mr Paul 'Nearer My God Than Thee' Jones of the BBC's R2 Blues Show may assist.

All helpful suggestions welcomed.

[color=#faebd7].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1487957313' post='3244617']
I thought R&B had always been used to refer to present-day black American pop music, partly to do with the Billboard charts needing a name for it? I may be way off the mark with that.
[/quote]

You're quite correct. In the late 1940's Billboard changed the name of its 'Race Records' chart to 'Rhythm and Blues'.

What's interesting about the above advertisement is the excruciatingly euphemistic tone of the copy:

[i]'Records listed are race records that sold best in stores according to Billboard's special weekly survey among a selected group of retail stores, the majority of whose customers purchase race records'.[/i]

Of course, Rhythm and Blues are - like Country and Western - two discrete musical genres, which means there's absolutely no impediment to starting a Rhythm & Western band.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1487960027' post='3244658']
...Of course, Rhythm and Blues are - like Country and Western - two discrete musical genres, which means there's absolutely no impediment to starting a Rhythm & Western band.
[/quote]

I can see a potential impediment to Country and Blues becoming a long standing or indeed a viable musical genre;

It would be (roughly) as depressing as Leonard Cohen passing razor blades amongst the audience just prior to a gig and then singing about what [i]really[/i] happened to Old Yeller. Ultimately, the audience would suffer self imposed extinction.

Surely this is one genre that would not attract any sort of lucrative recording contract.