Why become a member? ×

Kurt Cobain Would Have Been 50 Years Old This Week

Ashweb

I'm suddenly feeling very old.

Came across this article today on the BBC website:

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39005630"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39005630[/url]

Kurt Cobaine would have been 50 y/o on 20-02.

Such a sad loss, went far too soon.

I can still remember as though it was yesterday when I heard he was dead. I was living in Delft in the Netherlands and the only English language station I could get was the world service, after some non news of this and that the announcer, in a very plummy accent, said 'in other news, American popular singer Kurt Cobain committed suicide today, he was 23, and in sports news.........' They couldn't even get his age right. I can still remember the feeling of it being such a tragic loss but struggled to find any information until I got a copy of the NME from the station in Den Haag a week later. Such a loss :-(

Edited by T-Bay

I was a Nirvana fan, they were a great band and Cobain was a gifted songwriter I think. I wasn't a big fan of how destructive the grunge thing was (heroin, equipment smashing etc...) but it would've been fascinating to see how Kurt might have progressed as an artist had he lived.

I saw Nirvana a couple of times. The first was at Newcastle Mayfair on the Nevermind tour on the cusp of them becoming massive. I was not a fan, but the massive sound the three of them had was quite something to behold. However DG stood out to me, he was monumental.
I saw them mid on the bill ar Reading a bit later and I thought they looked like they were throwing it away and I couldn't have cared less.
As far as what he might have been, he was what be was. Any other discussion is pointless. I agree with the above comment about suicide and children and I see it as a very selfish act. Unless it wasn't suicide?

I suppose 'selfish' isn't as black and white if there are mental health issues at play?

Anyway, I saw them at Reading 91 just before Nevermind was released and was blown away. They headlined the next year - my mate's claim to fame was that DG wore his band's T shirt at that headline gig (both bands were signed to Geffin)

Fascinating and tragic person. RIP

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1487717764' post='3242217']
He should have pulled that trigger before starting a family, what a waste of ones and zeroes.

Sorry if this offends anyone but when you have a family you have bigger responsibilities, that's my opinion.
[/quote]

I'm not offended but it shows how much with work there is still to do in educating people about mental health issues.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1487709406' post='3242112']
Such a sad loss, went far too soon.
[/quote]

And yet, the world carried on without him . . . and all those other so-called influential people of their generation who died 'too soon'.

I don't mean that disrespectfully, just pointing out that life is very short and ultimately meaningless, so make the most of it while you can.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1487768210' post='3242593']
I'm not offended but it shows how much with work there is still to do in educating people about mental health issues.
[/quote]

I agree with both the comment and your reply , I was badly let down by adults when I was a child and whilst with modern day understanding their issues and actions come with valid and real excuses , if you've been on the end of it , surely you have the right to be a little critical .

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1487869189' post='3243771']

And yet, the world carried on without him . . . and all those other so-called influential people of their generation who died 'too soon'.

I don't mean that disrespectfully, just pointing out that life is very short and ultimately meaningless, so make the most of it while you can.
[/quote]

If it's meaningless why make the most of it? At least you chose your username well.

Growing up in the 60's and 70's, I like happy music and powerful music. Even the attitude in blues is powerful instead of depressing. Never got the angst-ridden singers and songs. I'd rather hear the anger of the punks. Like drunks in a pub, it's easier to take the happy or beligerant one over the one crying in his beer.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1487969933' post='3244770']
If it's meaningless why make the most of it? At least you chose your username well.
[/quote]

Er, why not? But that's an interesting take on it all - hadn't thought about it that way. :lol:

I guess I meant that life is really only meaningful to each individual, so it's for them to make the most of their life and not try to live it through other people. Basically, enjoy the short time you have because no one is going to miss you when you're gone (well, after a few decades or so).

All this 'the world is a poorer place without so and so' is just mawkish sentiment and, actually, pure guesswork really because no one knows, either way. Someone living longer might have been a disaster for the world ;)

Saw Nirvana live many times, first time was at the Astoria, supported by Godflesh and Senseless Things (anyone remember those 2 bands?). I think it may have been the first gig i ever went to, I was maybe about 16 or so. Had a big impact on me. I did a stage dive and then snogged a girl, it was pretty much the perfect night for my awkward angry teenager self.

That girl introduced me to the camden music scene, and getting involved in that led to loads of new friends and some fun times, and i'm still friends with many of those people now. So Nirvana was a big part of my youth for sure.

Nirvana made an incredible impact on me as a youngster. Without them I very much doubt I'd be playing music now.

I still love their albums to this day. I don't think Novoselic gets enough love, his basslines are fantastic and are a massive part of the whole sound. His nimble melodies on 'lounge act'for example, really serve the song well.

Incredible band for me anyway.

Edited by Basszilla

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Freddie75' timestamp='1492182761' post='3278549']
Kurt had a huge impact on me too, so much so I had a Tattoo of him on my shoulder when I was 18 (23 years ago). Unfortunately the Tattoo was sh*t, and I ended up on the TV show #Tattoo Fixers# getting it covered up lol.
[/quote]

At least your not like Fred Durst and got tattoos of Kurt Cobain and Elvis abd it looks like they've been caught kissing :lol:

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/75494702_zpsejkkspnp.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Of all the genres of music over the decades Grunge did the least for me. Too much low end mush and too much shouting and screaming. Cheer up FFS. Sad to hear of anyone dying young, especially a musician, but they did nowt to push music forward for me.