Why become a member? ×

Who's your no 1 bass player and why?

SH73

Mine's probably Billy Sheehan. Amazing bassist, but I've never been keen on his bass tone.
It was from watching him & reading Talas transcripts that I learned a lot of techniques.

The bassist that got me into bass is everyone's fave, Adam Clayton. I just loved being able to play something cool on bass after just a couple of weeks from purchase when I was 13 (that was 33 years ago).

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1487843430' post='3243382']
I don't really have a #1, but always enjoyed hearing Steve Stills bass playing. Noone ever mentions him, but his bass playing was great on early CSN.
[/quote]You are not wrong, sir. I remember checking the album sleeve to see who played bass on the first album and Mr Stills went even further up in my estimation.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1487862861' post='3243684']
Louis 'Thunderthumbs' Johnson. I love slap and make no apologies for it :D and to me LJ was/is the master. Larry Graham may've started it all but LJ took it to another level while still keeping it relevant and not showboating for the hell of it.
[/quote]

Wikipedia suggests that he may be the reason we have Stingrays.

Entwistle, the way he plays is just unbelievable. The more I study, the closer I get but at the same time the more I realise just how hard it is. I like the variation he showed in his career, more aggressive in the 60s, more melodic in the 70s. His technique was amazing, I've got a good grip on his finger style, picking and general style of play. Overall he's my favourite musician by far.

Big respect to Jack Casady, Paul McCartney, Ronnie Lane and Chris Squire too

There are so many Steve Harris, Rudi Sarzo Cliff Burton Jason Newstead Geezer Butler and Frank Bello (Who is never really mentioned) are some of my faves but the player that really does it for me is David Ellefson when I heard peace sells it blew me away and when I started playing bass about 20 odd years later I tried a ton of Megadeth songs and thought wow this guy is great

Not known for his bass playing ability or killer bass lines but I love Jared Followill too. Funny chap who only picked up a bass because his brothers asked him to tour with them. Never took a single lesson, just locked himself in the basement while bandmates put stickers on the notes he should play. By the time he was 16 he didn't know how to play bass but had an EP released.

John Paul Jones - hugely talented on the bass and a great all-round musician.

Always adds to whatever he plays on and always looks to serve the song. Tons of melody and bags of groove.

No surprise he played on a load of the UK 60s pop tunes - arguably the most 'melodic' era for pop music(?) - which I think he then carried through to his playing with Zeppelin (for me Zeppelin could've been just another heavy rock band of the era if it weren't for John Bonham and John Paul Jones - they gave the band funk).

It's impossible to really have just one (but that was the question!) - so mentions for Jim Lea, Trevor Bolder, Herbie Flowers, Fred Thomas, Bobby Vega, Max Bennet, Pino, Derek Forbes, Bootsy, Norman Watt-Roy, Wilton Felder, Macca et al - but if one it is to be...

... then it's JPP for me.

There are many bass players I love to listen to.

Only one of them - in a live performance which was an epiphany for me and totally re-wired my brain - made me actively want to play bass, and spend 15 years pining for a Thunderbird. October 19th 1980, I was just a young lad. October 20th I was a bass player (even if I'd no idea how to play one :) ).

I give you ... Pete Way. UFO is but a shadow without him - Schenker or not.

You fellows who mention Steve Harris and Nikki Sixx need to go back to their direct inspiration. :)

Burke Shelley (Budgie) how I learnt

others... Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Glen Hughes, Norman Watt-Roy

Spent ages trying to get 'that' sound! lol

I give you ... Pete Way. UFO is but a shadow without him - Schenker or not.

You fellows who mention Steve Harris and Nikki Sixx need to go back to their direct inspiration. :)

One of the first bass players I ever saw was Pete, on the Obsessions tour, classic Schenker UFO, Civic Hall Wolves 1978 I think.

Fantastic live band and Schenker was on form with UFO on form.

Class man Mr Way, met him many times and I remember some of them, many times in JB's Dudley, if you need to ask then don't bother

Pity he supports Villa, up the Wolves B)

Edited by Bbiigg Kev