Why become a member? ×

Looking to upgrade my head - need help as I'm a bit confused

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I'm hoping that some of you can point me in the right direction. I've been playing bass for around 18-months now. I play as part of a progressive rock bank (classic 70's style prog more than modern prog-metal).

I'm currently using a cheap Ashdown Mi-Bass class D head. I picked it up as a discounted B-stock item back when I first started playing. But it's really not doing it for me. My issues with it are:
[list]
[*]The pre-amp has a 'tube sim' circuit that means that it can't really do clean at any reasonable volume. It'll do perfectly acceptable clean at volumes suitable for my front room, but once you raise the gain even a little you hear a definite grit. Quite nice for a gritty sound but not something I always want present in my playing. There is never any chance of getting it loud enough to be heard in a moderate rock-band mix while sounding properly clean
[/list]
[list]
[*]The EQ on the amp is passive, and therefore not very useful if I want to poke a little more mids etc in order to sit better in the mix. We have two guitars, a piano and myself (& drums and singer) so being able to fine-tune myself into an appropriate sonic space would be very useful. Right now I can get a nice kind of vintage tone from the amp but I do get lost in the mix when the guitars are doing their thing.
[/list]

It's not a bad amp, but it's not a great one either. I have a bit of spare cash to hand right now, and we've got a few gigs coming up soon so it might be a great time to think about upgrading. I'm after something reasonably light. I'd love to stick with a class-D given how portable they are, but I would take a heavier (think Hartke HA3500, rather than say Ampeg SVT tube!) head necessary. The trouble is that locally I cannot find many different heads in stock to try. I've had a little noodle on an Eden head which I found a bit dull and lifeless. I've also tried a cheaper TC Electronic BH250 and was not especially blown away by that either. Aside from these the stores around here pretty much only stock either crazy expensive gear (SVT tube heads) or cheap practice amps (Fender Rumble 150 etc.)

So could anyone perhaps point me toward a few options that might suit my needs. I know it'll be a matter of personal choice but without being able to actually pop out and try some of these amps I'm a little confused as to where to start.

I am currently using the Markbass 250 Blackline with an Ashdown M10 cab and that works well. Also have a Gez Benz Shuttle 3.0 which is a good and a bit more 'modern' sounding. It also has a little more flexibility on frequency response settings.

O yes..markbass..allways a greate choise.I have the marshall mb150 for practice amp.I have use it for a gig with thrash metal band (sodom,violator,kreator) i think it will do the job,if you can find one usef in low price.Otherwise,go gor markbass.Way better than marshall

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1487708345' post='3242098']
what cab(s) do you have? what bass(es) do you have?
[/quote]

I'm playing through a GK 410 cab ([url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_cx_410_bass_cabinet.htm"]https://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_cx_410_bass_cabinet.htm[/url])

Bass wise I have a Maruszczyk Elwood, with a Delano MM style humbucker in the bridge and a delano single-coil with 9mm poles in the neck. Sonar-II electronics also from Delano. Perhaps the big quirk being I string with La-Bella black nylons.

I also have an Ibanez SR strung with standard medium-gauge round-wounds that I mainly use for a couple of tracks where I want to get a nice metallic pick sound.

But certainly my main interest is getting an amp that can be loud enough to sit in the mix with a nice clean tone. We're not talking stupid loud here, but I would like to get up to gig volumes without having it sound like I have a mild distortion pedal turned on.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1487753797' post='3242362']
I'm playing through a GK 410 cab ([url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_cx_410_bass_cabinet.htm"]https://www.thomann....ass_cabinet.htm[/url])

Bass wise I have a Maruszczyk Elwood, with a Delano MM style humbucker in the bridge and a delano single-coil with 9mm poles in the neck. Sonar-II electronics also from Delano. Perhaps the big quirk being I string with La-Bella black nylons.

I also have an Ibanez SR strung with standard medium-gauge round-wounds that I mainly use for a couple of tracks where I want to get a nice metallic pick sound.

But certainly my main interest is getting an amp that can be loud enough to sit in the mix with a nice clean tone. We're not talking stupid loud here, but I would like to get up to gig volumes without having it sound like I have a mild distortion pedal turned on.
[/quote]

Hi,

So you have a nice efficient cab, but the 8 ohm rating is going to have an impact on the amount of power your amp will deliver into it.

So loud and clean? Eich/Tecamp Puma 900, EBS Reidmar 750 and Warwick LWA1000 are all worth a look at and not too expensive..

Cheers folks,

Sounds like a good options there with Markbass clearly something I need to check out.

Someone asked about budget, I didn't give one because it's not the biggest issue. I'd rather find the right head, and if need be save a little more to get it than settle for something half-way there and end up back here again next year still looking. I'm not wanting to spend a fortune of course, but within reasonable realms (perhaps under £1000?) I'm happy to be flexible in order to get something that really works for me. Bass playing has pretty much become the central point of my social life these days so it makes sense to me.

My gigging amp was a Hartke 3500 still sounds better than anything else I use but it is getting a bit cranky and is on the heavy side. I bought an MI bass and sent it straight back. Just couldn't get a sound I was happy with. I've settled on a Little Mark Tube which sounds absolutely fine. The Tube input isn't a dramatic change from the standard Little Mark but I've gradually settled on an all tube pre amp sound so I guess it must suit me.

Having added even further to the Mark Bass love I'd say try the amps through your speakers before you buy if at all possible. It's your sound.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1487681764' post='3241750']
Hi folks,

I'm hoping that some of you can point me in the right direction. I've been playing bass for around 18-months now. I play as part of a progressive rock bank (classic 70's style prog more than modern prog-metal).

I'm currently using a cheap Ashdown Mi-Bass class D head. I picked it up as a discounted B-stock item back when I first started playing. But it's really not doing it for me. My issues with it are:[list]
[*]The pre-amp has a 'tube sim' circuit that means that it can't really do clean at any reasonable volume. It'll do perfectly acceptable clean at volumes suitable for my front room, but once you raise the gain even a little you hear a definite grit. Quite nice for a gritty sound but not something I always want present in my playing. There is never any chance of getting it loud enough to be heard in a moderate rock-band mix while sounding properly clean
[/list][list]
[*]The EQ on the amp is passive, and therefore not very useful if I want to poke a little more mids etc in order to sit better in the mix. We have two guitars, a piano and myself (& drums and singer) so being able to fine-tune myself into an appropriate sonic space would be very useful. Right now I can get a nice kind of vintage tone from the amp but I do get lost in the mix when the guitars are doing their thing.
[/list]
It's not a bad amp, but it's not a great one either. I have a bit of spare cash to hand right now, and we've got a few gigs coming up soon so it might be a great time to think about upgrading. I'm after something reasonably light. I'd love to stick with a class-D given how portable they are, but I would take a heavier (think Hartke HA3500, rather than say Ampeg SVT tube!) head necessary. The trouble is that locally I cannot find many different heads in stock to try. I've had a little noodle on an Eden head which I found a bit dull and lifeless. I've also tried a cheaper TC Electronic BH250 and was not especially blown away by that either. Aside from these the stores around here pretty much only stock either crazy expensive gear (SVT tube heads) or cheap practice amps (Fender Rumble 150 etc.)

So could anyone perhaps point me toward a few options that might suit my needs. I know it'll be a matter of personal choice but without being able to actually pop out and try some of these amps I'm a little confused as to where to start.
[/quote]
If it's 70's prog tones your after then Markbass may not be the way to go (as good as they are, before I get ripped), look for something where you have the option for some grind. My vote goes to the Genz Benz Streamliner. Don't forget that your cab choice is just as critical.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1487778759' post='3242805']
My gigging amp was a Hartke 3500 still sounds better than anything else I use but it is getting a bit cranky...
[/quote]

Humm that was my worry with the Hartke amps. I did get to try a 3500 when I popped into GAK in Brighton last year, and I loved the sound. However, I've heard a lot of anecdotes about their being unreliable.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1487926133' post='3244119']
Humm that was my worry with the Hartke amps. I did get to try a 3500 when I popped into GAK in Brighton last year, and I loved the sound. However, I've heard a lot of anecdotes about their being unreliable.
[/quote]

To be fair mine was used when I bought it and I've had it ten years, it only failed once in that time and they are eminently repairable. I think the recent ones have had the problems with the power supply cap mountings addressed probably 15 years ago. Now I use the LM Tube out of laziness as much as anything. I do like a graphic though.

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1487791175' post='3243003']
If it's 70's prog tones your after then Markbass may not be the way to go (as good as they are, before I get ripped), look for something where you have the option for some grind. My vote goes to the Genz Benz Streamliner. Don't forget that your cab choice is just as critical.
[/quote]

+1 for the GB Streamliner. Had one and sorry i sold it. Tube pre-amp and class D power. Used in Deep Purple tribute band and couple of Prog bands altho slightly more modern Prog ie Steve Wilson style and it sounded great thru whatever cab i used including Bergantino 12" Neo cabs, Ampeg 8x10 it was just a nice warm tube sound that was able to cut the mix very well.

Dave

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1487682858' post='3241763']
I am currently using the Markbass 250 Blackline with an Ashdown M10 cab and that works well. Also have a Gez Benz Shuttle 3.0 which is a good and a bit more 'modern' sounding. It also has a little more flexibility on frequency response settings.
[/quote]

Loved my mark bass black line 250. Awesome sound and build for knockdown price