Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fretless 5 (pic heavy)

ped

Well I didn't think I'd be buying a new bass so soon after my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/291608-nbd-more-80s-graphite/page__hl__80"]recent find[/url] but I was very lucky to get wind of this one.

For those of you that know me, I've been a fan of Vigier basses for many years now, after trying out so many others and selling them after an initial honeymoon period, my Passion bass (Light colour bass on the left, group pic) saw them all off with it's rock solid construction, 'velvet brick' sound and flexibility.

The older models are really hard to find but I have several places I keep an eye on, mainly in France, where they are made. Recently a Basschatter sent me a message asking for details about a bass he had seen in Spain on a classifieds site which seems like a preloved type affair. Pictures were sent (the seller being a bit computer intolerant didn't help matters) but eventually we were able to ascertain that it was an extremely unusual 5 string fretless, the likes of which I haven't seen before in my 15 or so years of looking.

I provided what information I could from the pictures and encouraged the Basschatter to buy it, but he passed as the funds weren't available and the seller wouldn't move on price. I asked if it would be OK if I had a go at getting some more pictures and perhaps buying it, if he was sure he wasn't buying it himself. He said go right ahead, so that's how I met Carlos, the seller's semi-English speaking son.

We chatted for a few days and whilst he constantly apologised for his English, which was almost perfect, he visited his dad and took some snaps for me and helped with payment and posting arrangements. A true gent indeed, and he even posted the bass before my payment had fully transferred (I used Transferwise, brilliant service)

Under a week later, rather unexpectedly (the tracking info said it was in Portugal!) it arrived. I spent a great morning setting it up, cleaning it and putting fresh strings on, and it plays and sounds fantastic. Carlos was delighted it arrived safely and sent a very nice email on behalf of his father (who has a really cool name 'Roque' - as in 'You Roque')

The bass is very versatile, and I know this because I have a fretted version. The preamp is well suited to fretless as there's a variable filter with variable boost/cut to nail those mids and bring out a tremendous parp from the rear pickup, or a woody bark from both at once.

I've had a fretless Vigier before, a Passion model as opposed to this model which is an Arpege. Soon after this one was made, Vigier started making their fretless basses with a 'delta metal' fingerboard which looks like a gold mirror. Beautiful, but I was forever polishing it. The pre in the Arpage makes more sense on a fretless than the passion (which has a preset cut boost and rotary freq selection).

The construction is unique - again, Vigier started making necks from 100% carbon fibre after this bass, as far as I can find, literally the end of the year this was made. They offered both options for a time, the other option being, as this bass has, walnut wings and a maple neck thru married to a brass laminate under a phenowood board. Pretty crazy, and definitely an idiosyncratic French way to do things. Unlike the later basses with graphite necks this one has a truss rod which is useful on a fretless because as you know the neck relief is especially important without frets you can dress for a super low action.

Well if you didn't read any of that no worries, here are some pics of the new bass, and some of the family! I'll record something with it, and my others, this week. I've just changed broadband contract so god knows when I'll be able to upload them but it should force me to spend my time playing, at least.

Cheers for now
ped

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1487613317' post='3241229']
nice, that string spacing looks very tight, what is it?
[/quote]

About 16mm, so good for me. I like tight spacing although being so used to 18mm ish on the 4 strings it takes some getting used to.

Have you ever thought of phoning up Vigier and saying "Hey Patrice, I'm the owner of Europe's largest online bass guitar forum and also a long time user of your lovely basses. How about a cheeky endorsement deal? Eh, eh, eh. Nudge nudge. Wink wink."
This time next next year we could all be queuing up to buy our very own Vigier branded Ped signature tuning-peg cozies!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1487629834' post='3241414']
I used to own an almost identical model in the 80's...mine was white.

Quite simply the best bass I have ever owned. Congratulations on a stunning collection.
[/quote]

Need some pics please!

Spent the day setting this bass up and making a patch for it in my VB99. I've set the intonation but undecided exactly where to set the 12th fret note. Reading Gary Willis' guide he says to set it just in front of the line so that lower frets are on the line exactly. Either way I've gone for 12th 'on the line' and almost zero relief giving a very low action.

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1488307465' post='3247783']
Cheeky question, I know - but what sort of flight case is that? It looks exactly like what I need...!
[/quote]

I think it's made by Scott Dixon. I found it on eBay quite cheap. It's brilliant, takes up very little space compared to a normal guitar rack and with the lid on its very neat and good protection. It also serves as a limited to buying any more instruments (unless I find another, then I get to buy three more :)

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1488310483' post='3247822']

I think it's made by Scott Dixon. I found it on eBay quite cheap. It's brilliant, takes up very little space compared to a normal guitar rack and with the lid on its very neat and good protection. It also serves as a limited to buying any more instruments (unless I find another, then I get to buy three more :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I shall start researching!

A very spanish thing, apologizing for our bad english.

Really outstanding collection, there's something special about those Vigiers' design. I don't usually like black basses, but that fretless is really beautiful.

I have my fretless five a set up with a bit more relief than almost straight, I was told to and, although having to get used to the slightly higher action of the strings at first, the notes 'breathe' better, but I'm just learning to play fretless and probably you know better.

Enjoy your new bass, and sorry for my bad english 😁