Why become a member? ×

Songs with bass solos

silverfoxnik

Got it at the delmar and It's cool to hang out with your ex - Sensless things
Woodpecker from mars _ Faith no more, pretty much the whole song is the bass solo.
Keep on running - Spencer Davis Group, again integral bass line
anything by Primus, Sausage, Holy Mackerel
Naked in the rain - RHCP
Mudvayne - Dig

Percy Jones (Brand x, Tunnels) - nightmare patrol & malaga virgen - from the Brand x album - Livestock

Patrick O'Hearn (Frank Zappa) - Rubber shirt (album - Sheik Yerbouti) & the purple lagoon (album - Live in NY)

Stanley Clarke - many solos!... but I like what he does with a double bass on Blues for Mingus (album - I wanna Play for you) ...check the shredding run towards the end!... gasp!

Alan Thompson (John Martyn) - Looking on (album - philentrophy)

Philippe Bussonet (magma) - Nebehr gudhatt (album - Theusz Hamtaahk trilogy 2001) if u don't know this french band, they're amasing!... it's under the genre - "zeuhl music" the band is built around Christian Vander (drummer) & although the line up changes over the years... the vision is always the same.... Philippe is my favorite bassman with them.... great player!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='32520' date='Jul 16 2007, 02:18 PM']Naughty naughty, music "sharing" is theft![/quote]

Very true! I shall retract that statement forthwith, etc, etc, etc and shall take many trips to local charity shops and use Ebay extensively to research and to assemble all aforementioned tracks - preferably on vinyl. :)

Nik

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='32587' date='Jul 16 2007, 04:42 PM']Percy Jones (Brand x, Tunnels) - nightmare patrol & malaga virgen - from the Brand x album - Livestock[/quote]

Also Brand X, but this time John Giblin doing the fretless on "April" to be found on the "Product" album. It's maybe not the most demanding bass-line you'll hear, yet it sounds really good (so it's a good one to learn).

on the subject of.. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY4gea5jiZw&mode=related&search="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY4gea5jiZw...ted&search=[/url]

Hammmmmmm thats a gawd aweful noise!!

[quote name='muya' post='32731' date='Jul 16 2007, 09:18 PM']Broken Hearts, from 1st Living Colour "Vivid" album. Muzz Skillings on bass[/quote]

Oh yeah, that is an excellent one. Truly melodious. I liked that solo before I played bass... before I even realised it was a bass solo.

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='32749' date='Jul 16 2007, 10:09 PM']Oh yeah, that is an excellent one. Truly melodious. I liked that solo before I played bass... before I even realised it was a bass solo.

Jennifer[/quote]
:) Muzz Skillings was great with that band..... wonder what he is doing now?
I love the lack of overdubbed rhythm guitar in the guitar solo in "cult of personality" on that album... you can really hear the groove & space.... & then the bass filling it out a bit...tasteful!

& those fills on "open letter..." prick my ears up everytime!

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='32820' date='Jul 17 2007, 04:33 AM']:huh: Muzz Skillings was great with that band..... wonder what he is doing now?
I love the lack of overdubbed rhythm guitar in the guitar solo in "cult of personality" on that album... you can really hear the groove & space.... & then the bass filling it out a bit...tasteful!

& those fills on "open letter..." prick my ears up everytime![/quote]

Muzz was great, but Doug has been the perfect replacement......maybe TM Stevens could have been the right bass player for Living Colour, either for tone and hair and clothing style :)

@bottomfeed: Muzz has rejoined the band for a private gig at a Jack Dejohnette's wife party, due the unavailability of Doug who was in London that day. He currently plays with Ted Mason's band Blue Mockingbird. Wikipedia is the law :huh: