Why become a member? ×

Dramatic change in sound .

Kevin Dean

At last nights gig , everything sounded great & then in the 2nd set everything sounded dramatically louder & slightly overdriven , No one had changed there volume ? perhaps we all started digging in more to keep up with the drummer who seemed to be getting into it more or everyone hit the dance floor changing the acoustics ...I wonder what it was? as it was dramatic , the place did have a very low ceiling ?

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1487508287' post='3240278']
then in the 2nd set everything sounded dramatically louder & slightly overdriven , No one had changed there volume ?
[/quote]

Did you actually check the guitarists controls. They always lie you know :D

Probably just the change of the number of the people in the room changing the volume.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1487510155' post='3240302']
Did you actually check the guitarists controls. They always lie you know :D

Probably just the change of the number of the people in the room changing the volume.
[/quote] I have my suspicions , I'm going mount a camera above his amp ;)

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1487512661' post='3240326']
I have my suspicions , I'm going mount a camera above his amp ;)
[/quote]

Know any farmers? An electric fence will be of use round the amp controls too :)

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1487508287' post='3240278']
At last nights gig , everything sounded great & then in the 2nd set everything sounded dramatically louder & slightly overdriven , No one had changed there volume ? perhaps we all started digging in more to keep up with the drummer who seemed to be getting into it more or everyone hit the dance floor changing the acoustics ...I wonder what it was? as it was dramatic , the place did have a very low ceiling ?
[/quote]

Low ceilings are usually a good thing.

Blue

This sounds to me like a guitarist bumping their levels a bit. Packed area should soak up the sound, low ceiling means it should have sounded the same in either set (unless it lowered miraculously at half-time) and ear-fatigue means that the second set should have sounded quieter, especially on top-end. I`d say the drummer started to get into it more to hear themselves due to the - imv - bumped guitar volume.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1487573761' post='3240769']
Was it in any way detrimental to the performance? I ask because you mention everyone hitting the dance floor. Sounds like it might have been a good thing for the punters.
[/quote]

I concur!

• 1 month later...

I have found, over the years, that we always start at a decent enough volume, but as the night goes on, I feel as if I'm listening to a wall of noise. The desire to turn up to be heard is almost unbearable. I have asked the others have they turned up and they are adamant that they haven't. I've since found out that our ears, when faced with prolonged loud noise, will try to protect themselves by blocking out certain frequencies. This makes for a weird sensation of mud in your hearing, which is hard to play through. I have concluded that A, we are too loud to start with and 2 , monitors are a must!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1490688998' post='3266975']
I have found, over the years, that we always start at a decent enough volume, but as the night goes on, I feel as if I'm listening to a wall of noise. The desire to turn up to be heard is almost unbearable. I have asked the others have they turned up and they are adamant that they haven't. I've since found out that our ears, when faced with prolonged loud noise, will try to protect themselves by blocking out certain frequencies. This makes for a weird sensation of mud in your hearing, which is hard to play through. I have concluded that A, we are too loud to start with and 2 , monitors are a must!
[/quote]

You forgot C (or 3?) Use earplugs!

[/quote]

This is called temporary threshold shift.

[/quote]

Years of going to watch wall of sound doom bands has confirmed to me that this is true, even when wearing ear protection