Why become a member? Read more... ×
Kingbassist

Electric Bass lessons with Hamilton Bassist, Ian King - Woking, London Victoria or Skype

Hi there,

UPDATE 2018

I now have the use of a purpose built practise/teaching studio in Knaphill, Woking. I'm offering lessons on a Tuesday or Wednesday, do get in touch if you're interested.

Working primarily in theatre these days I've a had a fair few enquiries into tips and advice regarding this area of the music industry. I'm now offering lessons for anyone interested in improving on the skill set needed to play professionally, be it for theatre work or for gigs in general. Subjects covered would be technique, sight reading, following a conductor, playing to click/track and most importantly learning how to interpret a chart in any given style. Suitable for intermediate players and above.

Here's my biog if you want to know a bit more about me:
Bass player Ian King has worked with The Temptations, The Supremes, Sister Sledge, Ronan Keating, Huey Lewis, Paul Young, Rick Astley and Albert Lee. Ian has toured arenas with Andrew Lloyd Webber’s ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’, ‘Dr.Who Live!’ and ‘Symphonic Rock with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’. He has held the bass chair in the West End for Dreamgirls, The Book of Mormon, Shrek the Musical, Sister Act, Hairspray, Fame & Daddy Cool and is currently playing in Hamilton at The Victoria Palace Theatre, London. TV and studio credits include The Graham Norton Show, The Ruth Jones TV specials, Strictly Dance Fever, Zingzillas and the Tenors of Rock.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/297997-in-praise-of-ian-king-kingbassist/page__p__3224207__hl__ian king__fromsearch__1#entry3224207

http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2744871

Edited by Kingbassist
New teaching facilities 2018

Met with Ian a couple of times now, with more in the diary, and just to say I would really recommend him to fellow basschatters. I think I'm a pretty decent bassist, but on the basis that there is always more to learn, and its easy to get into a rut, wanted some extra input/coaching (focusing on technique, melodic improvisation etc). Not only is Ian a great bassist, but he's also a top bloke !

+ 1

I had a few lessons (more lined up) with Ian focusing on technique, sight reading, rhythmic and melodic variations in the construction of effective bass lines etc and I am starting to see the benefits already. Apart from being a great and experienced player he is also a excellent teacher and a very nice guy. I highly recommend Ian as bass tutor.

I now have space for students in Knaphill, Woking. Feel free to get in touch for more details. Cheers, Ian

Edited by Kingbassist

Having lessons with Ian has had such a great effect on my playing. I came to the first lesson wanting to expand on basslines, tastefully placing fills in the context of a song, and to play charts confidently while adding some of my own flare. Ian went through each of these topics explaining everything clearly and playing me loads of examples. I went away with so many ideas and different concepts to practice. I’ve already noticed a big difference to my playing and this has helped me out on a number of important gigs. 

Ian is an excellent teacher and really Hones in on what you want to improve on as a player. Another great side to the lessons is that you get to see him play! And what a player he is! Looking forward to the next one.

Edited by ShulmanBass

Thought I'd put a short video up here in case anyone's interested in having lessons.. I have space for one or two more students so do get in touch if you're interested.. If you want to see more videos like this check out my instagram page iankingbass

Cheers, Ian

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By greghagger
      Hi folks
      Just uploaded a video on left hand technique to Greg’s Bass Shed. This will be useful if you are a beginner or intermediate player looking to quickly improve your technique.  If you have any questions or feedback then please comment below or on YouTube. I’ll answer as quickly as possible. Hope it’s useful. Greg 
      https://youtu.be/JjU08-m86SE

• By lowdowner
      Does anyone have any recommendations for resources for becoming more familiar with musical notation and the bass clef in particular? I was to improve my bass clef sight reading and I'm finding that most resources include tabs with the clef notation and - apart from covering the tab up with masking tape each time! - i'm always distracted by the tab and then don't concentrate on the actual dots.
      I want to become more familiar with playing from bass clef rather than tabs because I think it opens up some options with positioning and theory that you miss with tab (don't get me wrong, tab is *really* useful and I use it all of the time).
      When I used to play a flute, because there was no tab available and everything was in standard music notation my treble clef sight reading became second nature and I never had to think about it much, but bass clef is becoming a challenge because it's just so easy to get by without it and rely on tabs or chord sheets.
      I'm looking for theory and training books, resources for bass guitar music in bass clef notation (no tab), online bass clef sight reading courses, training software, or any other recommendations for becoming fluent with sight reading bass clef.
    • By Steve Amadeo
      Hello,

I am an experienced bass teacher living and working in Wallasey, Merseyside. I've been a professional touring and recording musician for the last 17 years with experience of international touring, performing in clubs and festivals and on radio and television across the UK and Europe. I currently work as a member of blues/rock guitarist Aynsley Lister's band http://www.aynsleylister.co.uk

Whether you are a beginner or have been playing for a number of years, I can help you to develop as a player. My experience as a working professional means I can help you to develop confidence for any playing situation you may find yourself in.

I concentrate on teaching the fundamentals of music and the essentials of bass playing. You don't need fancy techniques in order to play well and get good gigs... you need a solid foundation: You need to know the notes available to play in any situation. You need an understanding of harmony, a developed sense of musical hearing and the ability to know your options which will enable you to make informed choices regarding notes, rhythms and phrasing (which comes from analysis of the music you love and the music of other bass players and even other instrumentalists).

Understanding the basics of harmony is actually not as hard as you might think. The hard part is committing to a regular routine of personal practise outside the music lesson to get the concepts in your mind and under your fingers.

I currently teach all age groups and offer lessons weekday daytimes, evenings and weekends.

Please feel free to get in touch to discuss your requirements.

Best regards,

Steve

Find me online:

Youtube http://steveamadeo.uk/YouTube
      Soundcloud http://steveamadeo.uk/bassplayer
      Facebook http://steveamadeo.uk/fbbass
      Twitter http://steveamadeo.uk/Twitter
      Instagram http://steveamadeo.uk/Instagram

• By SpondonBassed
      I was interested to read elsewhere in this parish of drummers who use metronomes in practice and on stage.  These are of course gigging musicians.  I hesitate to use the term professional since its meaning has been severely diluted in recent years and it does not serve well for this topic.
      To me it makes sense for the drummer to use it as opposed to the bassist but since both roles are crucial for the rhythmic drive of a band, others may have an alternative view.
      I am referring mainly to the use of metronomes (as opposed to the click) when performing.  I assume that no bassists do this on stage.  Correct me if I am wrong please.
      At home, I am very weak willed when it comes to practice with a metronome.  I have a few of them.  Most of them are bundled with tuners in pocket sized devices powered by battery.  To access either the tuner or the metronome functions I have to press and hold a button for a few seconds.  Further, I have to cycle the time signature options and if I miss the one I am looking for, I have to go around again.  This is so off-putting that I seldom bother unless I have a specific reason.  The result is that I don't spend enough of my practice time with a metronome.
      It's shameful of me to be so neglectful.
      This morning I have taken my grandfather's (latterly my father's) clockwork metronome off the shelf and I will put it in my practice area for easy access.  Standing alone and with no other responsibilities than to keep time, I am optimistic that I will use it more than the others.  My tuner need only work as a tuner and its nested functions can rest in peace forever.  There are no wires or batteries, just a winder for the mainspring in the mechanism.  I have removed the excuses that bundled devices allow me to get out of jail with, so to speak.
      I am optimistic that I will get more use from this metronome than the others.  It's also a lovely bit of kit if all I ever do is look at it.

Wish me luck.

PS:  I'd love to see one like mine being used by a drummer even if it is out of sight of the audience.  Then again I would like to see a world united by peace and the pursuit of a Winter home in a new solar system.  Silly me.