Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass flatwound strings

jonunders

I'll pitch in but as in many of the topics here, you will get multiple answers, a trip off -topic and at least 2 people exchanging angry PM's around perceived slights....

I had a Godin acoustic once upon a time and found nylon flats sounded nice and were easy to play. They were Rotosounds I seem to recall.

Edited by yorks5stringer

I've put D'Addario chrome flats on my new fretless acoustic 5, just because they were the only ones Promenade Music had in stock at the time (and I trust their judgement) - I'm happy with the sound and feel, but have no other experience of flats to compare with.

It's worth thinking about the sound you want, too, and checking YouTube. I've seen tape-wound strings recommended, but by peeps who were clearly aiming for a sound more like a double bass - I wanted something crisper and brighter than that, while still within the "warm mellow" flat sound.

Mine currently has some old and very worn nylon tapes which I think are la bellas. A definite improvement over the round wounds it came with and the bronze 'made for acoustic' I tried. I personally couldn't get on with finger noise and scratchyness of rounds.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1487445393' post='3239901']
It's all down to personal taste really, but mine wears Daddario Black Nylons, and when the time comes I'll replace them with exactly the same. I love the fat, plummy tone and they feel really nice.
[/quote]

That fits with my point about thinking about the sound you want. Most peeps seem to want fat and plummy. I'm trying for a slide / shimmer sound, like a low-range slide guitar, and the chromes are much better for that.

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1487581173' post='3240800']

That fits with my point about thinking about the sound you want. Most peeps seem to want fat and plummy. I'm trying for a slide / shimmer sound, like a low-range slide guitar, and the chromes are much better for that.
[/quote]

Exactly... It's all horses for courses. Mine only comes out for country/folky stuff, and the nylons are perfect for my needs. If I wanted any real brightness I'd need to look at something else.

Reading this thread got me thinking about my Aria acoustic. Got it last year for use in the jazz band I play in. I've had a set of Status Hotwire stainless flats lying around that I got for one of my electrics a couple of years ago, and as an experiment I've just put them on the Aria. What a difference! Obviously the sound is a little brighter compared to the old strings (they were, dear reader, quite sh@gged) but because the gauge is lighter (40-100) than the old bronze ones, the tension on the neck is less and that means a lower action. I don't know what gauge the old ones were but they were very heavy and quite rough on the fingers. So, flats on acoustic bass is a goer as far as I'm concerned. :)

Edited by Grassie

• 2 years later...

I've just acquired a Crafter fretless acoustic bass guitar - does anyone have any experience of flats on a bass with a pin bridge like these? Slightly concerned that flats won't go round the corner without breaking....

Neil

8 hours ago, neilp said:

I've just acquired a Crafter fretless acoustic bass guitar - does anyone have any experience of flats on a bass with a pin bridge like these? Slightly concerned that flats won't go round the corner without breaking....

Neil

I had one of these when I had my guitar shop. Put Picato flats on. End pins fine, but the nut needed re-cutting.Sounded so much better with them on.